Wiki Posts
Search

how UA touts PEK and PVG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united airlines
how UA touts PEK and PVG

Under "special deals," united.bomb is touting "Old and new China special." I wonder what the Chinese government thinks of United's pitch, "Experience China's rich past and decadent present in Beijing or Shanghai."
Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Frankly, I would hope the Chinese government wouldn't care. The marketing strategy is to get more people on United planes so United sells more tickets to PVG and PEK. The end result is more people going to China to spend $$$$ there.

Also, it's not like UA says, "check out crappy, old, smelly Beijing and modern, clean, and nice Shanghai." (Although there is a degree of truth to that. )
Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably the same person that was responsible for this email.
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Also, it's not like UA says, "check out crappy, old, smelly Beijing and modern, clean, and nice Shanghai." (Although there is a degree of truth to that. )
Craziness! Crappy Beijing? What has this world come to?
Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united airlines
Frankly, I would hope the Chinese government wouldn't care. The marketing strategy is to get more people on United planes so United sells more tickets to PVG and PEK. The end result is more people going to China to spend $$$$ there.

And who would be encouraged to fly transpac to visit a decadent destination, "sex tourists"? If that is what they would be seeking in PVG, then they are at least 60 years too late, and probably more like 70+.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsme
And who would be encouraged to fly transpac to visit a decadent destination, "sex tourists"? If that is what they would be seeking in PVG, then they are at least 60 years too late, and probably more like 70+.
Ha, I overlooked that part. Looks like the work of yet another unsupervised intern. In the U.S., there is this perception that decadent is a good thing. I believe it's simply not knowing what the word means.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by itsme
...I wonder what the Chinese government thinks of United's pitch, "Experience China's rich past and decadent present in Beijing or Shanghai."
You missed the Cultural Revolution by 40 years . Whereas the government used to rail against "Counter-Revolutionaries" and "Capitalist Roaders" in the past, it is scribbling "Get Rich For the Country" slogans all over walls and buildings today.

...Also, it's not like UA says, "check out crappy, old, smelly Beijing and modern, clean, and nice Shanghai." (Although there is a degree of truth to that. )
I beg your pardon. Take a look at the back side of Shanghai railway station if you get the chance next time. It redefines chaos. But you are right in many respects, for one: Shanghaiers are not as adept in coughing and spitting as Beijingers do.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:07 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Platinum
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
But you are right in many respects, for one: Shanghaiers are not as adept in coughing and spitting as Beijingers do.
HA! That's for sure. But really, UA couldn't say "Jets to Beijing: Phleghm capital of the world!" now could they?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.