Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

FA Tells Me "Get Rid of That" (my computer wallpaper)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Tells Me "Get Rid of That" (my computer wallpaper)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2007, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, DL
Originally Posted by tornado
You can't legislate nuance in humanity. Life is hard, deal with it.

FA berates you in a cabin full of passengers? Deal with it. ("Nuance": sounds like a spin-loving politician's dream.)

Legislation and litigation aren't what's needed. Getting that would-be humorist (?) of an FA out of the passenger service area is what's needed.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
I've had AA agents joke with me on the phone about my personal e-mail address (which has the word United in it).
Is it [email protected] ?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
I've had AA agents joke with me on the phone about my personal e-mail address (which has the word United in it).
Skies--were you flying on the dAArk side!?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by tornado
You can't legislate nuance in humanity. Life is hard, deal with it.
I think your point is that it's hard to draw the line between hurtful behavior that should and should not be illegal. All I am saying is that the circumstances should be considered: if a RCC employee told a passenger (aggressively and obnoxiously and in a humiliating fashion) to get a picture of a CO aircraft off his PC, I would say that's within UA's rights since the customer can just walk away (of course, this is still terrible in terms of customer relations). However, in an airplane in flight, the same humiliation is greatly magnified because the customer can't simply leave and escape the stare and comments of the other passengers. That's what makes the FA's actions harmful, perhaps harmful enough that they should be illegal.

(Where SHOULD the line be drawn? What if the FA had insisted that the CO plane was about to crash and therefore the passenger was advocating terrorism? What if he got hog tied by the surrounding passengers as a result? What if he sustained serious injury during the process? At what point is the FA legally responsible for hurting the passenger?)
Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snic
I suggested lawyers and "all that" not because of what specifically the FA said, but because of the humiliation she caused as a result. I now know that the first amendment applies only to the government, but if there isn't a law against verbally assaulting and humiliating people who are not able to avoid the confrontation by simply leaving (i.e., people stuck on an airplane 35,000 feet above the ground), then there surely ought to be.
There is -- intentional/negligent infliction of emotional distress. However, this incident clearly doesn't rise to the level of an actionable matter.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: Won Kay
If she was as serious as the OP thinks she was, it could have been remedied with a terse:

"No, I won't remove it - what I have on my laptop is not in the least bit offensive. If you insist on making a case out of this, then I would like to speak to the purser NOW!"

Then I'd glare and grit my teeth a little bit - just to make sure she really knew I was serious.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 2:00 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Big House Wallpaper?

I have a great shot of Michigan Stadium, aka, the Big House, that I was thinking of using for wall paper. Does this imply that an OSU-grad FA would say "Get rid of that!!" Oh well, GO BLUE.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 2:03 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by BH62
I have a great shot of Michigan Stadium, aka, the Big House, that I was thinking of using for wall paper. Does this imply that an OSU-grad FA would say "Get rid of that!!" Oh well, GO BLUE.
Not necessarily, but a GS who went to IU sitting next to you might. GO BIG RED! ^
Old Nov 14, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: Mostly Mileage Plus (UGS) + AAdvantage (Gold)
Originally Posted by snic
Any lawyers in here care to comment on whether there is a First Amendment issue here? Can someone sue a company for supressing his right to free expression?
Lol, only here in America.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 2:15 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Great pic though!
Old Nov 14, 2007, 2:18 pm

I am firmly in the she-was-JOKING camp.

Lighten up. Seriously.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
UA should get rid of that FA...
Old Nov 14, 2007, 2:52 pm

I personally think it's a beautiful pictur!!! The 757 is my second favorite plane flying. I'm sure it was somone with a dry sense of humor trying to be funny, and not quite being able to pull it off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.