Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Mileage Credit on Tickets Booked on Priceline, Hotwire, etc." Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Mileage Credit on Tickets Booked on Priceline, Hotwire, etc." Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
September is still far away and fares are expected to continue dropping as overseas travel evaporates.
Even our summer (week of 04 July) flight SFO-FRA just dropped almost $200 today.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by azepine00
Can anyone confirm NOT receiving miles on PL bidding bookings (domestic or international)?
I'd like to hear first hand reports, if possible.
Originally Posted by Doug 1029
Consider this a first hand report. Bid and booked on PL and after several attempt, NO MILES, NO EXCEPTIONS.
And, to be clear, we're not just talking RDMs but EQMs, too, right?
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:23 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Name Your Own Price tickets aren't eligible to earn anything.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 2:11 pm

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Even our summer (week of 04 July) flight SFO-FRA just dropped almost $200 today.
Thanks for a great info. I just refared my flight for $275 less (x2 persons) to LHR for that same week....
Old Mar 5, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
September is still far away and fares are expected to continue dropping as overseas travel evaporates.

If it was me, I would have waited until some killer deal showed up on Flyertalk or at the very least, watched the airfares daily until the time was right to pull the trigger.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The OP's post was regarding Sep 2008; back then it was a different story
Old Mar 6, 2009, 5:57 am

Programs: UA MP Premier Silver (sigh!), Virgin Elevate, HHonors, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold, Does AAA count?
Originally Posted by brian_in_dc
Personally I don't use Priceline for air travel because I want to have greater control over scheduling, stopovers, etc.,, but it's great for hotels and particularly rental cars.

Two sites any Priceliner should bookmark:
http://www.biddingfortravel.com/
http://www.betterbidding.com/

They help you beat the system since other people tell you what they've been bidding and getting, plus you get a list of potential hotels in each place and their * levels.

Anyway, slightly off topic post, but good info for someone who's new to PL.

Thanks for those links, very helpul. I also don't use PL for Airfares as I need every EQM for status and seems a waste to fly a transcon and not get the miles if it was a NYOB.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 6:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Consider this a first hand report. Bid and booked on PL and after several attempt, NO MILES, NO EXCEPTIONS.
That's your experience, but that's probably just because you've been using UA's program when it didn't make sense to do so if earning miles was of primary interest to you.

For years now, I have systematically gained miles from a large number of Priceline bookings on UA-operated flights such that it would be an exception if I were not to get miles for the UA flights acquired through bidding on Priceline.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 7:14 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by GUWonder
For years now, I have systematically gained miles from a large number of Priceline bookings on UA-operated flights such that it would be an exception if I were not to get miles for the UA flights acquired through bidding on Priceline.
I'm pretty sure this could be stated in half as many words or less.

So you're saying, use other programs to get miles on UA flights booked by PL?
Old Mar 6, 2009, 7:31 am

Programs: UA AA NH BR TG
This was not my experience. A couple of years ago I bid on a flight to MUC and got tix for $400 r/t on the LH nonstops from SFO. The flights were in May so this was a great deal (more than 50% off).

I sent in my boarding passes and receipts to UA and get full mileage credit with MP. ^

I guess I got lucky.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
That's your experience, but that's probably just because you've been using UA's program when it didn't make sense to do so if earning miles was of primary interest to you.

How did you do it? I mean get UA to credit your account with the miles!
Old Mar 6, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline

Maybe the coffee hasn't kicked it yet, but I just don't understand what you are saying in this post. Are you saying you have been able to earn miles with any airline program on a "name your own price" ticket?

If so, how?
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Boghopper
My mother put a bid in for $200 on Priceline to fly to London from LAX, leaving in the middle of September and coming back at the end of September. She received an offer of $212+ and accepted. Who should it be but United Airlines, with a total cost of under $800, which I think beats any current offer by a wide margin. I didn't know UAL was doing Priceline, but perhaps I was just uninformed.
I'm still stuck on the $212+ turning into <$800.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, I completely forgot about this option! Thanks! ^
Old Mar 6, 2009, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I'm pretty sure this could be stated in half as many words or less.
I'm pretty sure that my relevant experience couldn't be accurately reflected in 50% or fewer words, but if you want to try then go ahead.

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
So you're saying, use other programs to get miles on UA flights booked by PL?
I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't exclude that way -- it's what I usually do on PCLN flight bookings on UA-operated flights.

Those concerned about E+ seating and other UA status-related benefits may be more interested in a different approach than the one I suggested earlier. What I suggested is far more reliable in achieving the objective of earning miles on UA-operated flights purchased through bidding on PCLN.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 6, 2009 at 9:36 pm
Old May 26, 2009, 12:28 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Booking on Travelocity voids miles?

I seem to recall that if you book a ticket through one or more of the many travel search engines that it can void earning miles on the flight. I was almost ready to grab a United fare to Europe via Travelocity but remembered this and am now in a holding pattern. Searched the forum for an answer but didn't see anything. Is Travelocity one of those engines that could void FF miles for the trip?
Thanks for any help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.