Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I Need XXX EQM/EQS by Year End" Thread (Discussion and Advice) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I Need XXX EQM/EQS by Year End" Thread (Discussion and Advice) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I wasnt aware that you got EQMs for ticket purchases with the Visa.
Platinum gives up to 5k EQMs per year (1 per $ spent) on ua.com ticket purchases.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by gengar
Platinum gives up to 5k EQMs per year (1 per $ spent) on ua.com ticket purchases.
Thanks. I missed that.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:13 am

Programs: UA1K MM, LH Senator, HH Plat, Priority Club Gold, UA RCC, Global Entry
Short for 1P

A coworker asked me about this today and as I have never had to experience this I had no idea what to tell him. He is currently 1P and is 2995 miles short for requalifying for 2009 and no flights planned anymore in 2008. Anyone ever get bumped up to the next level being this far from 50K miles?
I took solace in the fact that I requalified for 1K in June. If he has no chance of hitting 1P, can I rub it in when I am enjoying the lounges and he is not?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Your friend will not get "bumped" to 1P.

You can rub it in or take him into the lounge as your guest.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MKE 1K
Anyone ever get bumped up to the next level being this far from 50K miles?
I've never heard of it. They may offer him a buy-up in January, but other than that I hope he either enjoys 2P, flies, or cashes in 30,000 Choices for 3,000 EQM.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I have 98,849 after last nights incredibly painful miles. I have a Visa card, I have to see how that works. Or, a cheap 700 mile flight to somewhere.
We could always take an adventure together
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:44 pm

I need 1 (one) segment to make 1K this year, and no business trips are planned until next year
From ORD the cheapest thing I could find is a round trip to PIT for $120. This Sunday. If anyone else in Chicago is in the same situation, I'll see ya in the Irish bar at PIT around noon !
Bill
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
This is a no brainer...tell him to go to the mileage run forum and pick out something that would get him that amount of mileage...even this late in the year, it shouldn't be that expensive if you pick the right route and date...that really isn't a lot of miles to rack up...you could easily do that in a day and besides, it's "fun"! (this is FLYER talk, right? ) When I realized my wife could be 1.5 segments short of 1P this year, we jumped on a cheapo mileage run and easily took care of that problem...got the segments and had fun at the same time!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:10 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
...I hope he either enjoys 2P...
It seems to me if that if this guy is almost 30K miles short of 1P he's gonna enjoy life as a GM.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I agree about a simple MR (if he can't cash in 30000 choices for 3000 EQM) - the coworker will have a rude awakening if he otherwise expects to keep 1P without flying. Then he can enjoy RCC on international flights even if you're not flying together

I'm going on a weeklong trip tomorrow with my wife so she can make 1P, as we just may have stayed home if not for the mileage need.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gre
It seems to me if that if this guy is almost 30K miles short of 1P he's gonna enjoy life as a GM.
According to the OP, he's just under 3K, not 30K....
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
I found a same-day itinerary on Dec. 21st for $200 all-in ($147++) NYC-BUF (Buffalo, NY) via IAD. The only challenge is that it's only four segments yielding a total of 2,000eqm and I need 2,250eqm. Anyone know how to add in a segment and keep it at that rate (or route through ORD)?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by gengar
What happens if you refund the ticket/s you purchased, if you can't fly them in a month or two??
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just booked LGA-ORD-IND-ORD-LGA for a same day turn tomorrow, even threw in (2)500-milers for the full upgrade coming home, and printed all four boarding passes. The total was $212 all-in, and used a $150 discount coupon I had bringing the total down to only $62 ... 1K by 217 miles
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: UAL 1K 1.3MM till 1/31/2015 Bye Smissek, Delta Plat. Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres. Circle
426 miles short of 1K this year after corporate travel system wouldn't allow me to create a SEA>DEN>SJO itinary for a biz trip and forced me to do SEA>SFO.

I had a SEA<>SFO mileage run scheduled for today 12/18 but unfortunately snowstorm crippled Seattle and as I live on a 500 ft hill there was no way I could get down to make it to the airport - we don't plow or salt the roads in Seattle. Fortunately, mechanical delayed my outbound flight so I could not make my return flight & United reluctantly allowed me to shift the itinerary to tomorrow (they refused to allow me to push it out further than 1 day - non refundable ticket). Unfortunately, temperatures will drop to teens tonight and low 20s tomorrow so all the snow will change to ice which makes it less likely I can make it to SEATAC.

Now I am wondering if it really is worth the effort to make it to 1K given my recent travel experience in domestic First, United's lack of flexibility on my ticket (non refunable), long SEATAC priority line (which isn't really a United priority line as Alaska air passengers can use it too as can any United passenger willing to part with $25). I defintiely don't feel like a valued member of the program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.