Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I Need XXX EQM/EQS by Year End" Thread (Discussion and Advice) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I Need XXX EQM/EQS by Year End" Thread (Discussion and Advice) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
erase 2) and think out of the box. Who sez you cant do a MR from somewhere else, perhaps on more favorable term$
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA-MP 1P, going on 1k the first time!!
VISA Signature Creditcard - up to 15k EQM!

Why don't you sign up for the Visa Platinum. It can give you up to 15k EQM. That will bring you close!
5k for first use
5k for 5k$ spent on ua-tickets
5k if you spend more than 35k this year (so hurry up).

Besides, here are the other ways to maximize EQMs besides MRs and the Visa:

- Buy Y/B fare tickets, will give you 150% EQMs for the given flight
- Transform redeemable miles earned with the Visa into EQMs (up to 5k) with factor 1/10.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
The Platinum MP Visa Card...$140. with $60... refunded gets you 5000 EQM (and about 20K RDM). You should do it right away (on line) so that the EQM will post this year.

Wait a month and order a 2nd one ....another 5000 EQM....but no RDM on the 2nd. Do it fast to get the EQM for this year.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:01 pm

You should get in on the following MR.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:17 pm

Programs: IHG, BA
OK, so here's a new one ... I'm going to be 575 miles short of 1P next year.

Based in UK what choices do I have? Would really like to keep 1P, even if it's just for the 100% RDM's.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
WWFTD (What would FT'ers do?)

Like many, I have begun looking at my projected year end totals and realize I am going to be short of requal'ing for 1P unless I do something about it.

Right now, I stand at 37,437 EQM and 46.5 EQS. I have an RT to ORD booked for XMas that will put me at 40,889 EQM and 48.5 EQS. I would like to keep my access to exit rows on UA flight and my *G. I have my honeymoon flight coming up next June on UA award tickets on SQ metal, all in C, so I guess the *G isn't a huge deal since I get access to lounges on a C ticket anyways (I believe). I do not travel internationally except for vacations (which are not that frequent). My business travel has dropped off significantly this year and may not pick back up next year (making even 1P not that important maybe). I have already maxed out my MP Visa (5,000 EQM for $35k purchases, 5,000 EQM for UA/*A purchases).

I see a few options:
1) Skip 1P all together (and lose*G, Exit rows, and 100% mileage bonus)
2) Do a few mileage runs to the east coast in Y to make up the difference.
3) Do one mileage run LAX-IAD-LAX in F and utilize the 50% bonus promo that is going on to net 9,152 EQM (just enough by 41 miles).
4) Do one mileage run to somewhere out east in Y and purchase 5,000 EQM using 50,000 MP Visa Choices.
5) Do some segment runs to gather up 11.5 segments.

Option 1 is certainly the least costly in terms of money and time. I think Option 2 is just too costly in terms of time. Option 3 is attractive since it is only one flight, I can enjoy F (even if it is domestic F) for the entire time, although it is pricey and certainly not efficient in terms of dollars per mile. 4 is relatively cheap but does chew up miles (but since I have already booked my award tix, no immediate need for the miles). 5 is also possible, but could be time consuming to accomplish (both the actual flights and mucking around with the booking engine to find all the weird hops).

So the underlying question: What would other FT'ers do, or is there another golden option that I'm not seeing?
Old Oct 25, 2007, 9:50 am

You can get another platinum card and get an additional 5000 EQM

You can take advantage of the SAN-ORD fare sale at $109 with up to 4 stops, should net around 4600 miles RT, and use a $100 ecert to make the fare around $30 each way.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by United_Flyer3
Based in UK what choices do I have?
A quick flight on LH or BD would do it.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 5:54 am

1130 short for even 2P

My travel is really down this year and currently am 1130 miles short for maintaining even 2P. I potentially will do some more travel before the end of the year, but currently nothing is scheduled. I do have the Platinum Visa card with Choice miles available. I would like to keep at least this level next year and see that I have three possible options:

1) Gamble that I travel before the end of the year

2) Use my Visa card to buy a MR ticket. As long as the ticket is over $130 and the trip gives me 500 miles each way, I'll made my quota.

3) Use 20,000 of my Choice miles to "buy" 2000 miles.

Option 1 is too big of a gamble, so I think I should skip that. Therefore, what is the opinion of the collective as to which of the other two options makes the most sense? Is 20,000 Choice miles worth more than a cheap round trip ticket?

One benefit of Option 3 is that I could hold off on this until mid-December in case I do travel. I would think that if I wanted to use buying a ticket on United.com with the Visa card to provide some of the miles, I would have to give enough time for this transaction to get credited.

Any comments or better options to be considered would be appreciated.

TIA,

Craig
Old Oct 26, 2007, 7:17 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
You should get in on the following MR.
That link didnt work
Old Oct 26, 2007, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K NW US HH Gold
Originally Posted by MA700C
My travel is really down this year and currently am 1130 miles short for maintaining even 2P. I potentially will do some more travel before the end of the year, but currently nothing is scheduled. I do have the Platinum Visa card with Choice miles available. I would like to keep at least this level next year and see that I have three possible options:

1) Gamble that I travel before the end of the year

2) Use my Visa card to buy a MR ticket. As long as the ticket is over $130 and the trip gives me 500 miles each way, I'll made my quota.

Option 1 is too big of a gamble, so I think I should skip that. Therefore, what is the opinion of the collective as to which of the other two options makes the most sense? Is 20,000 Choice miles worth more than a cheap round trip ticket?

One benefit of Option 3 is that I could hold off on this until mid-December in case I do travel. I would think that if I wanted to use buying a ticket on United.com with the Visa card to provide some of the miles, I would have to give enough time for this transaction to get credited.

Any comments or better options to be considered would be appreciated.

TIA,

Craig
I would suggest option 2 (MR). The EQM's for the flight will credit quickly, and the extra 130 EQMs on the visa will come (typically) within a month. Better yet, find an MR that gives you all 1130 EQMs (it shouldn't be too difficult.) Also, you'll earn a few extra RDMs (instead of losing them) and you'll be credited toward MM status.

Personally, I don't think cashing in choices for EQM's is a very good deal (unless there really are no other options.) YMMV.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 7:58 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by MA700C

Or if you are short on cash, buy the $130 ticket and redeem 13,000 choice miles to pay for the ticket.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
That link didnt work
The thread was removed. I believe due to some FT violations.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 8:43 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
The thread was removed. I believe due to some FT violations.
I hope it wasnt the recent SIN MR one that I was participating in and enjoying??
Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
I hope it wasnt the recent SIN MR one that I was participating in and enjoying??
This was a US-only run, so you should be safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.