Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I Need XXX EQM/EQS by Year End" Thread (Discussion and Advice) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I Need XXX EQM/EQS by Year End" Thread (Discussion and Advice) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:13 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Good lord. This must be some kind of record. 50k short?? Wow. Why even bother. That's MRing as much as you travel regularly!!
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Scratch out the expiration date of your current 1K card, that'll do the trick.
I can see a new market opening on e-bay. Sadly, somone would probably go for it.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:30 pm

Programs: United: LifetimeGold, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt:Globalist, Hilton:Diamond, IHG:Diamond
SFO-BKK-SFO is only $886 in Nov on united

SFO-BKK-SFO is only $886 in Nov on united and you will earn almost 16,000EQM
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:31 pm
gkh

Programs: UA 1P
Check out FRA. There's some pretty good fares from SEA. One run probably won't be enough, but a 2400 mile run to BOI in one day is convenient out of SEA. I'm ending at 81,000. Would have made it with DEQM and one MR to TPA or FLL.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I am based in SIN. I usually hit around 125K miles a year but this year my travel has been mostly regional. Next year I will be doing a lot of long haul travel to the USA so I figured the 6 SWUs will be worth the additional 4K I will be paying.

I do need to go to SEA, YVR and MCO later this year. Also have a SIN-AKL-SIN(10K miles) trip I need to make. So instead of doing all the USA cities in one visit, maybe I have to break it up into 2 trips to the USA. Ideally, I could do 40K miles in one trip, even it meant a number of redundant legs just to get the mileage. I guess I need some suggestions what is the smartest way to go about making the best of the situation.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:43 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Merging this with another "Need EQM's" thread.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:46 pm

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
You could do SEA-IAD-FRA-DEN-SEA depart Saturday 11/10 and return Sunday 11/11 for about $750 all in, could get it down lower if you leave Friday and return Monday for about $658 with the return upgradeable on LH with SWU. Also, could get it down to $558 on .bomb with $100 off cert... Gets you about 12.5K EQMs... so a quick hop to LAX and bam you have 1k...

We could help you more if you give us days you can travel, what your budget is, etc.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hi Hsxagent,

Thanks for the great suggestion. My dates are very flexible. Budget- well hope to spend not more than $3500 to get around 40K miles.

Btw, what is this $100 off cert you are referring to?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:26 am
UAL

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Schwings
Hi Hsxagent,

Thanks for the great suggestion. My dates are very flexible. Budget- well hope to spend not more than $3500 to get around 40K miles.

Btw, what is this $100 off cert you are referring to?
SIN-NRT-LAX-IAD-EWR-ORD-NRT-SIN
21880 EQM
$1300 all on UA.

While in NYC you could do a few MRs to LAX or SFO and earn double EQM:

50% EQM/EQS Bonus Offer
Travel dates: August 30, 2007 – December 15, 2007
Offer: Earn an additional 50% EQM/EQS bonus (total 200%) on roundtrip transcon flights in United First (F, A, P), United Business (C, D, Z) and full fare United Economy (Y, B).
Offer valid on these qualifying roundtrip flights*:
• Washington D.C. (IAD) - Las Vegas (LAS)
• Washington D.C. (IAD) - Los Angeles (LAX)
• Washington D.C. (IAD) - San Francisco (SFO)
• New York City (JFK) - Los Angeles (LAX)
• New York City (JFK) - San Francisco (SFO)
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:02 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Do I make the extra effort for 15K EQM's?

I am presently at 61K EQM's going to finish the year at 80K EQM's, and with the option to buy 5K EQM's through Chase I could end up at 85K. The question is whether I should make a little extra effort to get 1K. I am not a big fan of MR's as I travel enough for work I value my weekends with the family, but if 1K is worth the extra effort I might give it a try. I used to be a 1K for about 4 years in the late 90's and it was great, but it seems to have been devalued over the years, and the SWU's, while excellent, are less helpful to me since I fly all domestic, mostly shorthaul flights (and a lot on TED).

What do people think? Is it worth it for me to try and get that extra 15K, and what are some suggested methods to get there? I am based in DEN. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:28 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Mr. Ericka would need about 27,161 miles to make 1K again this year. We're based in MHT/BOS. Here's my initial thought...

- Fly (Fri-Sun) MHT-ORD-NRT-SIN for 20,890 EQMs
- Get a new Chase Visa for 5000 EQMs
- Turn in 12,710 miles for 1271 EQMs

For someone who doesn't want to have to travel much, does this seem like the best option?

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:55 am

Programs: UA/MAR
Originally Posted by Ericka
Mr. Ericka would need about 27,161 miles to make 1K again this year. We're based in MHT/BOS. Here's my initial thought...

- Fly (Fri-Sun) MHT-ORD-NRT-SIN for 20,890 EQMs
- Get a new Chase Visa for 5000 EQMs
- Turn in 12,710 miles for 1271 EQMs

For someone who doesn't want to have to travel much, does this seem like the best option?

Thanks!
Choices -> EQM transactions must be in even units of 10k choices/1000 EQM. Also, this is not possible with normal miles, only with MP Visa choices. If you/he is not currently a card holder he will have 0 choices, so pardon the pun, but that's not a choice. I also don't think you can gift "choices" so if you have a MP Visa, you're not going to have any luck applying your choices to his status.

Getting new Chase Visa is also dicey, those EQM tend not to post for quite a while after the new card is issued... I don't have the EQM earning card, so I have no personal experience, but I think they post after the first month's bill is paid, so potentially 2 months from date of issue.

You could substiutute another weekend of flying for part 2 and 3 above, something like MHT/BOS/[IAD/JFK/LGA/EWR]/LAX/SFO/LAX/[IAD/JFK/LGA/EWR]/BOS/MHT should get you close... if not enough throw in a connection thru MIA or CLT on one direction.

The MR forum is a better place for detailed discussion of this.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:37 am
Original Poster

The google earth is a interesting tool.
I ended up going with a GSO-PHL roundtrip on UA that will yield 2000 BIS miles. Cost a little more than I wanted to spend, $160 with a $100 off coupon, but my window to do the run is very narrow.
Thanks for those that replied.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver
Of course - you could also burn 10,000 choices points for 1,000 EQMs - if you are short on time.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:04 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by livitup
Choices -> EQM transactions must be in even units of 10k choices/1000 EQM. Also, this is not possible with normal miles, only with MP Visa choices. If you/he is not currently a card holder he will have 0 choices, so pardon the pun, but that's not a choice. I also don't think you can gift "choices" so if you have a MP Visa, you're not going to have any luck applying your choices to his status.

Getting new Chase Visa is also dicey, those EQM tend not to post for quite a while after the new card is issued... I don't have the EQM earning card, so I have no personal experience, but I think they post after the first month's bill is paid, so potentially 2 months from date of issue.

You could substiutute another weekend of flying for part 2 and 3 above, something like MHT/BOS/[IAD/JFK/LGA/EWR]/LAX/SFO/LAX/[IAD/JFK/LGA/EWR]/BOS/MHT should get you close... if not enough throw in a connection thru MIA or CLT on one direction.

The MR forum is a better place for detailed discussion of this.
Thanks for the info about choices. We do have the card and do a lot of spending with it, so no worries there.
As for the new (2nd) Visa card, now I'm not sure we can get the bonus at all. They might have some new rules about 2nd cards that I'm looking into. But I think the EQMs deposit a few days after the 1st purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.