Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Jackets Allowed in the Exit Row??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS
On a Mesa flight IAD-ROA, I was dumbfounded with the FA told the guy in 12B (exit row on the E45s) that he could not have his water bottle in the seatback pocket. That was a new one to me.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:29 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I'd rather they err on the side of strictness.

On a recent flight back, about an hour before landing, a fellow in the exit row asked the purser to call ahead for a wheelchair, explaining that if he requested it before they took off, he wouldn't be allowed to sit in the exit row.
Wow. I'm surprised they didn't move him right then--they should have. However, just like the tray tables and ability to block the aisles during flight, I wonder if it's ok to sit in the exit row while you're in the air, just not for takeoff/landing.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:38 am

IAD-LHR last week. Was rather surprised to see a rather obese lady in the exit row who had been wheeled to the gate in a wheelchair!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:33 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HDflyer
You have got to be kidding!?!?
I wish I were.

Were you also sitting in the exit row? Did you say anything to this passenger? I think I would have had a few choice words for him. This is a safety issue...not just another "nuisance" rule. Was he in a window seat?
I was in 17A, passing through. He was in 30B.

I didn't say anything, as I was still picking my jaw up off the floor.

I am certain I would NOT want someone that required a wheelchair responsible for my safety if there were an emergency.
It was pretty clear from the exchange that he knew the rules, and just didn't care.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by GlobeCycle
Was sitting in 8D (exit row) on a CRJ from DEN to BUR last night. I had my fleece jacket on my lap, as I usually do since my legs get cold when seated near the exit door. During the pre-departure safety check the FA asked if I wanted her to put the jacket in the overhead. I responded "no," and she replied, "well, then you will have to put it completely underneath the seat in front of you since you are in an exit row." I looked at her with a dumbfounded, are-you-kidding me look, but did not feel like arguing.
I once got the same request from a FA not to have it on my lap. Once I offered to put it under the seat in front of me, I was advised that this is not allowed either. So, different experience on every flight.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:10 pm

Location: my posts are my sole opinion and do not represent the opinions of UAL CORP and their subsidiaries
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I'd rather they err on the side of strictness.

On a recent flight back, about an hour before landing, a fellow in the exit row asked the purser to call ahead for a wheelchair, explaining that if he requested it before they took off, he wouldn't be allowed to sit in the exit row.
He's lucky I wasn't the fa in question, I would have moved him right then and there. If you are not "able-bodied" enough to get through the terminal (wheelchair), IMO you are not "able-bodied" enough to sit in an exit row.

Originally Posted by robb
Wow. I'm surprised they didn't move him right then--they should have. However, just like the tray tables and ability to block the aisles during flight, I wonder if it's ok to sit in the exit row while you're in the air, just not for takeoff/landing.
No. The thinking is that if we were to have an emergency inflight, we have enough to worry about in prepping the cabin for an evacuation, and we might not have the time to rearrange pax.

In fact, if the captain declares an emergency and asks the fa's to "prep the cabin", one of the five things we are to ask is "time remaining".

Just as an example, let's say we are at cruise altitude, and we have an explosive decompression (like Aloha-or was it Hawaiian?), we don't want anyone unbuckled, let alone doing a seat-swap.

Also, during an emergency, the captain may ask the fa's to prep the cabin from their jumpseats. What if we have severe turbulence due to the emergency? How are we supposed to move pax in either scenario?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:28 pm

Good post flygirl.

The reason my company doesnt allow jackets or personal items in the exit rows is the passenger my instinctively attempt to take the items with them in an evacuation delaying the process, the reason for hand luggage items incluing bags im sure is obvious to you all. The passengers in those seats in an emergency where the aircraft sustains reasonably little structural damage but could potentially blow up need to be the first out to allow others the same opportunity. The same reason applies to having your shoes on for take off and landing (except in a prepared ditching - although the chances of survival are low, lets give everyone the best chance instead of assuming).

Window shades open for critical phases of flight didnt become a regulation until quite recently (late 90s I believe), as some crew reported being unaware of things happening outside the aircraft while they are in their jumpseats preparing for landing and studies carried out showed how disorientated people can become even if they arent injured in an aircraft accident. Natural light will help you get your bearings (even if its night time) and an understanding of your surroundings outside the aircraft are essential to assist you to work out where your nearest exit and/or evacuation path may be.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:40 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by robb
The guy sounds like a jerk to me. Plenty of other able-bodied passengers would like the seat.

Just saw flygirl94's comments, I do agree that people who aren't able shouldn't be sitting in the exit row. However, it is not always possible to police the cabin and keep it from happening.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by HomeAgain
It's one extreme or the other, it seems. I too have had an FA ask me to put up a light jacket that I was holding in my lap while in an exit row. Her reason was, and I quote, "In an accident it could come up and cover your face and you wouldn't be able to see to help me." I was so amused by her statement I had to follow her suggestion.

The other extreme happened just a few weeks ago on a Mesa flight. I was in an emergency exit seat and on the other side were two Korean guys who had NO, NADA, ZILCH grasp of English. When the FA came around to ask them if they would be willing to help, blah, blah, blah, they just looked at her and made it obvious that they didn't speak English. She told them they would have to move (like they wouldn't have understood the other things she said, but would grasp "You have to move"). They just kept on smiling at her and shrugging their shoulders. She looked at me and said, "It's too much trouble to move them - you make sure you help me if I need it, okay?" I guess I should have reported it to United, but she was so clueless, I felt sorry for her.
i saw this same thing happen once on a domestic Ted flight, but it was a solo male pax who didn't speak english and couldn't answer the flight attendant's questions before takeoff (including when she asked him if he spoke english).

she said something similar about how much trouble it'd be to move him.

there were 2 exit rows of 6 seats each (ted config). there were 2 off-duty UA pilots in my row, and 2 off-duty UA FAs in the row ahead of us, where the non-english speaking man was sitting. i could see both pilots smirk and kind of roll their eyes. couldn't see the looks on the faces of the off-duty FAs.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA 1MM
Originally Posted by workflyer
Good post flygirl.

The reason my company doesnt allow jackets or personal items in the exit rows is the passenger my instinctively attempt to take the items with them in an evacuation delaying the process, the reason for hand luggage items incluing bags im sure is obvious to you all.
Another reason is that loose cloth on the floor, esp. layers of cloth, can be very slippery...
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by flygirl94
If you are not "able-bodied" enough to get through the terminal (wheelchair), IMO you are not "able-bodied" enough to sit in an exit row.
You really must be careful of this. When airlines take it upon themselves to decide who deserves a wheelchair and who does not, you open yourself up for litigation. There are folks who use wheelchairs who can walk fine, they may have an unseen disability such as a weaker heart, or who have had recent (even minor) surgery.

There are cases where this has happened, and the big corporation often loses. There was once a passenger who was denied boarding because the GA accused them of being intoxicated - turns out that they had a mental disability.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Very interesting to hear your insights regarding safety training, workflyer and flygirl.

You two should start a Q&A thread regarding FA emergency safety training. It is so fascinating, because it is an element of air travel that us passengers will likely never encounter.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by JC5280
There are folks who use wheelchairs who can walk fine, they may have an unseen disability such as a weaker heart, or who have had recent (even minor) surgery.
Being able to walk is not the only criterion for sitting in the exit row. Exit row passengers must be able-bodied in general. In the examples you gave above, those passengers would likely not be considered sufficiently able-bodied to sit in the exit row, because they would not be able to assist in case of emergency (which may require significant physical exertion, such as opening the emergency exit).

Note that flygirl94 was not insinuating that a passenger does or does not deserve a wheelchair... she was explaining that anyone who requires a wheelchair therefore should not be placed in an exit row, which is not the same thing.

There are cases where this has happened, and the big corporation often loses. There was once a passenger who was denied boarding because the GA accused them of being intoxicated - turns out that they had a mental disability.
You're saying the court decided that passengers with mental disabilities may sit in an exit row? Maybe if the disability still allows them to comply with FA instructions, but this seems suspect. Exit row criteria mandated by the FAA are one place where discrimination is legal, and indeed, required.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by cepheid
You're saying the court decided that passengers with mental disabilities may sit in an exit row? Maybe if the disability still allows them to comply with FA instructions, but this seems suspect. Exit row criteria mandated by the FAA are one place where discrimination is legal, and indeed, required.
I didnt mention anything about an exit row in that second example. It was just the point that the airline decided on someone's capacity and was way off - resulting in litigation. I am not saying these rules are wrong, my point is that any big company needs to be careful of its blanket rules, i.e. wheelchair = no exit row.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:06 am

Location: my posts are my sole opinion and do not represent the opinions of UAL CORP and their subsidiaries
You really must be careful of this. When airlines take it upon themselves to decide who deserves a wheelchair and who does not, you open yourself up for litigation. There are folks who use wheelchairs who can walk fine, they may have an unseen disability such as a weaker heart, or who have had recent (even minor) surgery.

I don't "decide" if a pax needs a wheelchair, they usually request one themselves.

If you have an unseen disability that doesn't require a wheelchair, I just expect a pax to use their judgement and be honest w/ me. After all, I am only asking you "Have you read the safety card and are you willing and able to open the exit in an emergency?"

I'm not asking for your medical records.

Last year I had a pax board w/ a wheelchair and sit in the exit row (757). Before I could notify the purser, he stated that he was retired FAA, knew the reg's, and stated that he should be able to stay in his seat. Fortunately, the captain was there greeting pax and overheard this and disagreed. While the captain made a phone call (prob to our legal dept ), the pax approached me and tried to argue his case. I simply told him it was now out of my hands now that the captain was going looking into it and would make the final decision.

He was moved.

As for the second part of your post, we never say that a pax is intoxicated, the pax "appears to be intoxicated". We understand that there are medical conditions that can mimic intoxication.

Can you cite a case where a pax won a settlement in your scenario? I don't mean settled by the airline to avoid costly litigation, where a judge or jury awarded damages.

It is against federal law for a GA to board a pax who "appears to be intoxicated". (forgive me, I'll see if I can find the FAR later)

Last edited by flygirl94; Oct 24, 2007 at 12:14 am Reason: ;)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.