GS & 1K Now What???

Old Sep 26, 07, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
GS & 1K Now What???

I already have 1k, and in about two more weeks, I will have logged the 50K high rev. miles to get my GS status for next year . With that, I still have a good deal of flying left for this year...probably about another 50K and much of it will be high rev also. So, my question of other FT road warriors is, now that I have all that I need for UA GS status, should I move to another airline and get their ultra status or just slog along with old UA? Delta is an airline I;m looking at but I'm not sure it is worth it....?

I have Starwood Plat already for next year and have now started staying at Hyatt hotels.....

thanks
Old Sep 26, 07, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really depends. Where do you fly, do you usually fly paid Y, C, or F, what's important for you in an airline, etc?

We can help out a bit more with more info.
Old Sep 26, 07, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K in training
Is 50K high-rev miles a guarantee of GS status? It was my understanding that the 50K criteria was only for renewal of GS status. If you're hoping to get a GS invite, I'd say you need to keep your travel on UA until it's confirmed. Otherwise, you could end up with ultra status on 0 airlines.

Plus, if you hit GS, why not enjoy the benefits?
Old Sep 26, 07, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
Is 50K high-rev miles a guarantee of GS status? It was my understanding that the 50K criteria was only for renewal of GS status. If you're hoping to get a GS invite, I'd say you need to keep your travel on UA until it's confirmed. Otherwise, you could end up with ultra status on 0 airlines.

Plus, if you hit GS, why not enjoy the benefits?
I think you are misreading the OP. His signature says he's already GS, so I think he's requalifying. I think the reason he mentions 1K (which threw me off the first time around) is that GS obviously doesn't get you 1K automically, so he wanted both.
Old Sep 26, 07, 11:33 pm

Programs: EK Gold - SWA A+/CP - SPG Plat - Fairmont Premier - AA EXP
I will click over 300k EQM tomorrow with UA. Though the GS bene's are hit and miss for me I still wouldn't leave my "safety blanket" persay of UA. I am comfortable with their routes, airports etc. and even if another program would give me a few more miles, it isn't worth the hassle of learning a whole new system. If you do choose to change, CO has a very good F product IMO.
Old Sep 26, 07, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
OP - per your signature, you already have MM status on multiple airlines which means some sort of guaranteed minimum status with each. That gives you a level of protection should you need to fly them.

As far as the rest of this years travel goes - wouldn't you want to benefit from the status you have worked towards this year by continuing to fly UA. Seems a waste to earn status and then not make use of it by flying other airlines not even ones that are in *A.
Old Sep 26, 07, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Sorry, but if you have GS on UA, why would you want to fly as a low-status or non-status passenger on another airline? Though I guess if you're in F, status really doesn't matter much unless there are irregular ops.
Old Sep 27, 07, 12:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
Well, I guess my question is what is there to gain by being in another "ultra" status program if you do not really use them? The only thing I can see you maybe shoot to finish up is AA 2MM. You can probably shoot for DL or AA ultra status, but....

Ultimately, I guess it depends on your travel patterns and whether you could benefit off of an additional ultra status program...

Since you fly a lot of full fare, as people have mentioned, CO has always gotten good reviews for its domestic F.
Old Sep 27, 07, 1:23 am

Programs: Lots
Go for Lufthansa SEN. If you're flying in F and C buckets a lot the EQM will rack up VERY quickly and you will have a nice pile of redeemable miles to use for getting around United's Starnet filters (obligatory ). You can keep flying UA too. Lastly, SEN is valid for 2 years.
Old Sep 27, 07, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Axey View Post
Go for Lufthansa SEN. If you're flying in F and C buckets a lot the EQM will rack up VERY quickly and you will have a nice pile of redeemable miles to use for getting around United's Starnet filters (obligatory ). You can keep flying UA too. Lastly, SEN is valid for 2 years.
Ditto.
Old Sep 27, 07, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Axey View Post
OP could look into BD as well for posting purposes.
Old Sep 27, 07, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Also, keep in mind that UA often had additional levels in earning SWUs as well. When I was traveling week after week, I always tried to maximize my mileage with UA to gain additional benefits such as additional SWUs. UA does not usually announce these promotional benefits until late October or early November but history will indicate UA will do something. I agree with mahasamatman's post.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: