Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can you use UA status for E+/UDU then switch accrual to another *A? [Merged - 2010]

Can you use UA status for E+/UDU then switch accrual to another *A? [Merged - 2010]

Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dg252
Can I:
1) Enroll in Mileage Plus
2) Purchase E+ annual
3) Change my seats to E+
4) Change my FF number back to my *A partner account so that I can earn miles for my home carrier rather than the Mileage Plus miles

P.S. Would I stand any chance of an op-up to E+?
Yes, you can be it requires the account numbers to be properly entered.
The FQTS (Frequent Traveler Status) field needs to be MP# to get E+ access.
The FQTV (Frequent Traveler V???? for mileage credit) field needs to be set to appropriate program to earn miles/status.

As for op-up to E+, this does not seem to be done basis on status and is only done when E- is full and effectively overflows into E+. Would not count on it.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:16 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As for op-up to E+, this does not seem to be done basis on status and is only done when E- is full and effectively overflows into E+. Would not count on it.
On my regular LAS-IAD/IAD-LAS Ted flights, I would not only count on it, I'd bet on it. E- is always sold out.

(But I'd double down that it would be E+ middle.)
Old Nov 27, 2008, 2:27 pm

And the chances of explaining this to a UA agent and them doing exactly as requested?!
Old Nov 27, 2008, 2:30 pm

And the chances of a UA agent getting this right?!
Old Nov 27, 2008, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dg252
And the chances of a UA agent getting this right?!

Finding a UA agent who gets something right is exceptional... happens though
Old Nov 27, 2008, 6:35 pm

The T&C's of E+ Access say...

"The MP number must be provided at time of booking, and the flight must be credited to the Mileage Plus account"

That's why I didn't buy it....

Good luck!!

P.S. I'm *Gold.. (through NZ) and I have only ever gotten E+ when I paid for it..... Others have reported success however so YMMV!!!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
UA Y+ upgrade perk when earning on *A FFP

Hey I have a question regarding the UA elite perk for an upgrade to the Y+ cabin. UA are trying to convince me to fly UA for some of my company flights across the pond and have therefore offered to match my BA Gold, but my question is will I be able to continue earning through BMI DC and then just show my UA MP P1 card to get the upgrade to Y+ or can I only get it when using my UA MP # in the PNR for the flight?

I will be BMI Gold soon, so I am not interested in the *A perks given to UA Premier Executive members, but rather the extra UA perks (especially Y+ upgrades). I realise this is unlikely to work but if it does I might be persuaded to use UA a bit more, especially for the times when I have to fly in Y.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Yes you can have both your UA MP# and your BMI# on your itinerary to get E+ seating and credit the miles to BMI. Note as a Premier Exec you would earn a 100% bonus of UA redeemable miles per flight... not sure if you'd get any BMI bonus miles.

I would recommend adding your UA mileage number to your itineraries at booking so you can reserve your E+ seat and then call (each time) and have your BMI number added to the record so you'll earn BMI miles. You will always need to either call or make the request at the airport...there is no way to add a 2nd mileage number online.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA tickets have two fields
- FQTS (FreQuent Traveler Status) field need to be MP# to get E+ access
- FQTV (FreQuent TraVeler number for mileage credit) field set to appropriate program to earn miles/status

An expereince agent can make the needed entries

Search on FQTS or FQTV to read more discussion
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:21 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
As said above, there is an official way to do this.

In my couple tries at this, I couldn't find an agent who could do it (plus there's no good way to tell if the earning number is in there!).

So, my suggestion is to use your UA number on the PNR until check-in, then change to your BMI number. I have done this, it's easy, and it works. You can do it online, at an EasyCheckIn, or with an agent.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
Thanks for your responses guys. This is great. I won't be able to sort this out for my UA TATL next week, but it's definitely a good option for my other TATL flights that I put towards UA.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:56 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Purchase E+ Annual Plans but accrue miles to other FFP, possible?

I know that it is likely to be impossible, but would like to check if any FTers have successfully done this before. I am thinking of purchasing an annual E+ package as the cost of paying for the upgrades to E+ for the upcoming trips for 2 of us will outweigh the annual E+ package fee.

However, I would really want to accrue my miles to another FFP to maintain my *Gold status for the coming years. Is this possible? I know that in the T&C, it is indicated that the miles must be accrued to UA MP. Can I input my UA MP program to select E+ seats for me and my partner and then switch to any *A FFP programme during check-in for mileage accrual?

Any experience sharing is greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all the advice!
Old Mar 2, 2009, 1:53 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Experience of this seems to vary.

The UA thread says it is possible: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-status-e.html

There was a thread on the BMI forum which a DC member had bought EPA but said it was a major headache trying to get the FF# changed. Sorry I can't find the thread for this one.

However if there are two of you, buy the EPA on their MP account and as long as you are on the same PNR there should be no problem in crediting the miles to you FFP.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:06 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Do online or kiosk or regular check-in with your UA number in the record.

Once you have boarding passes with your E+ seat assignments, then go to an Easy Check-In Kiosk, and use the option to add/change FF #. Then print the new boarding passes. All should be well.

You could also try to have a CSR change it when you check in, but it takes 5-10 times as long -- and much, much typing -- for them to do it. The Easy CheckIn kiosk approach will take less than a minute.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:29 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Do online or kiosk or regular check-in with your UA number in the record.
Thanks for sharing. Once I have done an online check-in and then proceed to UA counter for check-in and request to change the FFP or change it via the e-kiosk, will I lose the E+ seats that I have previously requested for?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.