Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Cite to rule that A-fare is a First Class fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cite to rule that A-fare is a First Class fare?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:09 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by exerda
I thought that some phone agents did have access to the airport / gate DM, etc., but that they had to sign into it (and possibly have had training on it?) separately, and thus most don't do so in practice. I've had phone agents on three occasions put me on standby for a flight (2x irrops, once simply out of courtesy), which I thought would take said access, but I could be mistaken.
Perhaps the real good ones actually call the airport to do it?
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:27 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Perhaps the real good ones actually call the airport to do it?
Certainly possible, but I thought the first time I had it happen, I posted about it here, and someone confirmed that there is a system phone CSRs can sign onto to give them access to the airport systems (but most don't bother or know how?) It was a couple of years ago, so I don't recall the details.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
Certainly possible, but I thought the first time I had it happen, I posted about it here, and someone confirmed that there is a system phone CSRs can sign onto to give them access to the airport systems (but most don't bother or know how?) It was a couple of years ago, so I don't recall the details.
It can be done, but very few agents are capable/allowed to do it. I wouldn't ever expect to be able to get on a DM list by calling reservations.

I wouldn't expect a reservation agent to know what the FFCC list is. Just as a CSR wouldn't know what the PA and PB waitlists are.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I just snagged a BUAUP fare that booked into P. When asigning seats the Corp travel agent started to assign me a seat in E+ then said "hold on a sec this fare comes with a complimentary upgrade let me get get you a seat in the correct cabin.". I thought A and P fares were first class fares and not economy fares with a free upgrade, but the agent reiterated that it was an economy fare and when I do my expense report it would show up as an economy fare basis.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:53 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by BreezwayFlyer
I just snagged a BUAUP fare that booked into P. When asigning seats the Corp travel agent started to assign me a seat in E+ then said "hold on a sec this fare comes with a complimentary upgrade let me get get you a seat in the correct cabin.". I thought A and P fares were first class fares and not economy fares with a free upgrade, but the agent reiterated that it was an economy fare and when I do my expense report it would show up as an economy fare basis.
It is an economy fare (B) that books into First class (P). Many people will argue the technical details, but certainly your agent misunderstood that it qualifies for a comp upgrade with the assumption (completely understandable) that an economy fare only allows for economy class seating.

All the confusion, if UA had just redesigned the fares to be simpler or easier to understand, this often misinterpreted but totally legit first class booking would be easier to work with.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
It is an economy fare (B) that books into First class (P). Many people will argue the technical details, but certainly your agent misunderstood that it qualifies for a comp upgrade with the assumption (completely understandable) that an economy fare only allows for economy class seating.

All the confusion, if UA had just redesigned the fares to be simpler or easier to understand, this often misinterpreted but totally legit first class booking would be easier to work with.
That is not right. It is a FIRST CLASS fare that books into FIRST CLASS. It is a legacy designation designed to look like an economy fare to fool old fashioned, more manual, expense reporting systems. There are no upgrades, comped or paid, as it should book directly into F.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by adambadam
That is not right. It is a FIRST CLASS fare that books into FIRST CLASS. It is a legacy designation designed to look like an economy fare to fool old fashioned, more manual, expense reporting systems. There are no upgrades, comped or paid, as it should book directly into F.
BUAUP does book into FIRST CLASS. I agree.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
100% correct.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold 0.5 MM; BA Silver
adambadam, I've just recieved a call, there is a job for you at UA, educating CSRs to this very fact.^
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
UA's treatment of A fares is deplorable. I have to wonder, if I booked a true international A fare for $10,000, would domestic agents try to tell me I'm on a "free upgrade"???
90% of my international travel is on "A" fares starting in Asia, which usually have some domestic U.S. segments in them as well. I have never had a problem with being categorized as having upgraded to first.

The difference is that the fare basis is just "A". I suspect a large part of the problem with the domestic only "A" fares is that the agent sees a fare basis of "BUAUP", which does look like it's an upgrade on United from a "B" fare when you just look at it.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
A few weeks ago, I was flying on a two segment HUAUP booking class A first class ticket. There were two segments, and I missed my connection. I was booked on a later flight, but only in economy. I tried to get into first, but the agent kept insisting that it was an economy fare. I told her it wasn't, and she just kept repeating to talk to my travel agent (I'm my travel agent!). It was only a short flight, so I just got over it and flew in economy.

Tomorrow I'm going to be flying on a HUAUP booking class A ticket again, but trying to stand by for an earlier flight. I can see trouble. I think they'll try to put me back in Economy.

How can I prove that I'm on a first class ticket, and not an economy ticket + upgrade?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jgsx
A few weeks ago, I was flying on a two segment HUAUP booking class A first class ticket. There were two segments, and I missed my connection. I was booked on a later flight, but only in economy. I tried to get into first, but the agent kept insisting that it was an economy fare. I told her it wasn't, and she just kept repeating to talk to my travel agent (I'm my travel agent!). It was only a short flight, so I just got over it and flew in economy.

Tomorrow I'm going to be flying on a HUAUP booking class A ticket again, but trying to stand by for an earlier flight. I can see trouble. I think they'll try to put me back in Economy.

How can I prove that I'm on a first class ticket, and not an economy ticket + upgrade?
But tomorrow's ticket on another carrier, and send a copy of that receipt to Glen Tilton with the above story. This outrage has to stop. I am furious just reading it. If this happened to me again, I would lose it completely. Nothing, not one single thing, that United does enrages me more. It is absolutely infuriating.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 3:12 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need to contact the refunds department for a class of service adjustment and also customer relations for a tangible token of their regret. If the refunds department does not act within 30 days, dispute the charge with your credit card issuer.

Under UA's stupid rules, you actually are prioritized below all upgrades because the standby list you will be on is to be processed only after all upgrades are cleared. That means that usually only Y is left. That isn't the airport CSR's fault.

You can't. Those CSR's who are convinced they are right will generally not budge on this issue. The best way to prove you are on a first class ticket is to buy your ticket on a carrier that offers true first class service.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Print out the fare rules. Right on top, it will say something like

General notes:

FIRST CLASS RESTRICTED FARES A/AN
APPLIES FOR ONE WAY FARES
FOR ADULT
Old Mar 18, 2009, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Print out the fare rules. Right on top, it will say something like
Gate agents don't care about pieces of paper that I printed from the internet. How can I make them see it on their screen? Last time I was in a GS office, and she pulled up the ticket info, and all we saw was HUAUP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.