777 in Rockford (UAL 959)

Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
777 in Rockford (UAL 959)

With the storms at ORD, looks like RFD got to play with the big boys tonight! A UA 777 from Heathrow and a UA 319 from Vancouver (UAL 1130)along with a 747:

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KRFD/arrivals
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
UNITED959 would never deign to visit Rockford.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Flew into Rockford years ago on an EMB-120 (IIRC... ). Was astonished to see the 10,000 foot plus runway for such a small station. Then I saw all the cargo aircraft... Kind of explained the huge runway. It does make it a great divert field for ORD.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:52 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Do international passengers have the option to de-plane at RFD given it's an international airport?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:50 pm
formerly OliverS

Originally Posted by TonySCV
Do international passengers have the option to de-plane at RFD given it's an international airport?
Nope,

because they don't have the necessary facilities for customs and immigration.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by OliverS
Nope,

because they don't have the necessary facilities for customs and immigration.
That's what makes it an international airport. Whether they're staffed is another question.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAaronT
UNITED959 would never deign to visit Rockford.
I think I was there once. Cracker Barrel, Wal-Mart, and a gas station are the main attractions.

So glad I wasn't on UA959 tonight!
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by UNITED959
I think I was there once. Cracker Barrel, Wal-Mart, and a gas station are the main attractions.

So glad I wasn't on UA959 tonight!
My friends went there once and managed to wander into a monster truck rally.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It really all boils down to when they open the door.

(Sure would be a bummer if there are some Rockford residents on the plane, and they're getting picked up at ORD only to drive back.)
Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by UNITED959
It really all boils down to when they open the door.

(Sure would be a bummer if there are some Rockford residents on the plane, and they're getting picked up at ORD only to drive back.)
I was diverted to RFD during a mongo rain storm on a UA B757 (SEA-ORD). tarmac full of AA and UA metal.

Pilot made an announcement that you could deplane, but no rental car agency in the terminal and checked luggage would have to be picked up at ORD
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Hey! Don't be so hard on Rockford. I grew up in Rockford. It was a fine place to grow up. It's a nicer place to be from
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Pax on the flight from Vancouver should have been able to deplane - well, if the crew allowed it. Passengers pre-clear customs/immigration before departure in Vancouver.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:04 am
formerly OliverS

That's what makes it an international airport. Whether they're staffed is another question.
A colleague of mine was on an international (and I mean really international, not just regional-international from Canada ) a few months ago and they weren't allowed to deplane for the reasons I cited above - no immigration/customs.

I agree with you that the term "international" is misleading in that case. Maybe it is due to international cargo flights?
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by OliverS
A colleague of mine was on an international (and I mean really international, not just regional-international from Canada ) a few months ago and they weren't allowed to deplane for the reasons I cited above - no immigration/customs.

I agree with you that the term "international" is misleading in that case. Maybe it is due to international cargo flights?
Usually international means that they have customs and immigrations facilities and the ability to keep the inbound riff raff sterile from the general population until they've been processed. Since RFD has no international flights (I assume; and very little domestic passenger travel), those facilities are probably locked tight and certainly not staffed.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:16 am
formerly OliverS

Since RFD has no international flights (I assume; and very little domestic passenger travel), those facilities are probably locked tight and certainly not staffed.
Right now - no scheduled international passenger flights at all.

Wikipedia says:

In 2004 the airport became the Chicago/Rockford International Airport when the airport gained an official US port of entry and achieved international status.
Your theory sounds about right! ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.