Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades to Europe? Fly via AMS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2007, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, UA Club Lifer, MC Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Upgrades to Europe? Fly via AMS

I've noticed that finding upgraded flights to Europe with SWUs is becoming more difficult. I usually fly to Germany a few times a year, but the advance upgrade availability to FRA and MUC seems scarce, altough I've always been successful in receiving an upgrade on the day of departure.

Well, my next trip to FRA is in early November--coinciding with the new 767 businsess seat roll-out. There was nothing to FRA on 11/09--in fact, the 767 only had 3 revenue seats available. What's a mileage junkie to do? Try booking through AMS. There are usually advance upgrade award seats available on that route. So, I'll connect to a LH flight to FRA. And this is still on a W fare! WARNING: Do not try this unless you are a mileage junkie.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
True enough. AMS often has the cheapest fare of the UA European destinations as well...but be warned--UA's catering in AMS is just about the worst I've ever seen, so don't expect to eat well on the flight back!
Old Sep 2, 2007, 4:56 pm

I've also had very good luck going through Zurich - never had a problem getting the upgrade.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by kv99
True enough. AMS often has the cheapest fare of the UA European destinations as well...but be warned--UA's catering in AMS is just about the worst I've ever seen, so don't expect to eat well on the flight back!
Good transit to connecting flights here also.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 799,000 Lifetime Miles
A gate agent at MUC said to me a few weeks back that the C and F full fare loads at MUC and FRA are higher than any other European station. German companies pay F and C fares and fill their cabins. On three flights recently there was ONLY 1 seat in C left and it was left to two dueling 1K's each separated by a few hundred dollars in fare...

Originally Posted by tomwht
I've noticed that finding upgraded flights to Europe with SWUs is becoming more difficult. I usually fly to Germany a few times a year, but the advance upgrade availability to FRA and MUC seems scarce, altough I've always been successful in receiving an upgrade on the day of departure.

Well, my next trip to FRA is in early November--coinciding with the new 767 businsess seat roll-out. There was nothing to FRA on 11/09--in fact, the 767 only had 3 revenue seats available. What's a mileage junkie to do? Try booking through AMS. There are usually advance upgrade award seats available on that route. So, I'll connect to a LH flight to FRA. And this is still on a W fare! WARNING: Do not try this unless you are a mileage junkie.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
---

ams also has the cheapest car rentals. What the heck, load up the bong and drive
Old Sep 2, 2007, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by creativity55
... two dueling 1K's ...
That's pretty cool. Any shots fired?
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by creativity55
German companies pay F and C fares and fill their cabins.
Actually, it's a lot of multi-national companies paying C and F fares, taking advantage of the UA/LH partnership. Connecting traffic in MUC and FRA is huge!!
Old Sep 3, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by kv99
but be warned--UA's catering in AMS is just about the worst I've ever seen, so don't expect to eat well on the flight back!
Do tell: what exactly is so rotten about AMS catering?
Old Sep 3, 2007, 4:01 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Interesting info as I am about to book SFO to FRA, but could do AMS I guess!
Old Sep 3, 2007, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, UA Club Lifer, MC Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Interesting info as I am about to book SFO to FRA, but could do AMS I guess!
YMMV, but the LH connections to FRA make this a decent alternative to a SFO-FRA nonstop. I've also found cheaper fares to AMS than CDG and taken the train to Paris.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA/MAR
Ssh! This is my best kept secret! I actually have to go to AMS 4-6 times a year and I've never had a problem upgrading so far. BRU on the other hand (which makes up the other 8-6 times a year) can be a nightmare if World Bank, EU, etc. is in session. I'm stuck there an extra day this week because I can't get a business class upgrade confirmed on Friday.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by giggy
ams also has the cheapest car rentals. What the heck, load up the bong and drive
AMS isn't a terrible drive even all the way over to NW Germany. There are also ICE trains from Amsterdam Centraal station into Germany, stopping at several major cities in the Rhine Valley (DUS, CGN, FRA for instance).
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
AMS does indeed make a great gateway, but I've always had the opposite luck finding inexpensive fares, it always seems to be the highest for me. I usually find that booking ORD-LHR and then continuing from there is the least expensive option.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I fly to/from AMS often and usually find that C is full, so either you've been lucky in getting UG's or you're one of the people who's had the UG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.