Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades to Europe? Fly via AMS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Agree that AMS is an easy upgrade (was able to confirm upgrade in advance with miles via AMS to ARN in both directions with little to no other upgradable options) but too bad the lounge options competely stink
Old Sep 4, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
I realize this is heresy to speak in a FF forum, but one other thing to consider about flying to AMS: You end up in Amsterdam, one of the most fun cities in the world (and, in fact, my favorite non-diving destination). Get the cheaper fare, get the upgrade, AND fit an extra day or two in before your onward flight to just enjoy!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:13 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by CatHerder
I realize this is heresy to speak in a FF forum, but one other thing to consider about flying to AMS: You end up in Amsterdam, one of the most fun cities in the world (and, in fact, my favorite non-diving destination). Get the cheaper fare, get the upgrade, AND fit an extra day or two in before your onward flight to just enjoy!
--------
Abraxis!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tomwht
YMMV, but the LH connections to FRA make this a decent alternative to a SFO-FRA nonstop. I've also found cheaper fares to AMS than CDG and taken the train to Paris.
How long is the train from AMS to Paris? I've thought about doing this same thing.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Karter
I fly to/from AMS often and usually find that C is full, so either you've been lucky in getting UG's or you're one of the people who's had the UG.
As everyone has said, I too have never seen an AMS flight that was even remotely difficult to upgrade. It is usually the one destination that is easiest to score biz & F award tickets on too. In fact, F award tickets to AMS are among the easiest intl award seats to score in the whole system. If you're having trouble upgrading, I'm quite shocked.

But if you're simply referring to full cabins, I would guess that loads have to be high which may result in lots of operational upgrades, thus resulting in full C cabins at departure time. The yields must be good too as even the ORD flight has survived just about everything - 9/11 cutbacks & winter seasons included (except I think for winter '05). Who knows. Actions speak louder than words though, and UA has kept both of these flights around which are presumably depending almost entirely on people going to/from AMS, not onward connections like FRA/MUC.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by Intex98
How long is the train from AMS to Paris? I've thought about doing this same thing.
Thalys is about 4 hours on that route. It's the benelux equivalent of the TGV or the German ICE trains. The trains themselves are very nice, especially in 1st.

Check out http://www.thalys.com for details
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CatHerder
Thalys is about 4 hours on that route. It's the benelux equivalent of the TGV or the German ICE trains. The trains themselves are very nice, especially in 1st.

Check out http://www.thalys.com for details
Cool, thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2007, 12:35 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by kv99
True enough. AMS often has the cheapest fare of the UA European destinations as well...but be warned--UA's catering in AMS is just about the worst I've ever seen, so don't expect to eat well on the flight back!
I flew from AMS on UA in C recently and had one of the best meals I've had on UA. For once the sauce on the beef wasn't nauseatingly sweet, the beef was tender and flavorful, and the green beans weren't overcooked.

And C class was nearly empty (F was full). My only complaint was that I sat in the 777 forward mini C cabin because seatguru raves about the "personal attention" from the FAs, but because I was the only one up there on my side, the FA hardly ever showed up. At least I slept well!
Old Sep 14, 2007, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
One thing to note about Thalys -- it is very nice, but it isn't cheap. That $200 you saved on your airfare can easily be consumed with the train ticket.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Intex98
How long is the train from AMS to Paris?
According to their web site, "Each Thalys train includes 8 cars".
Old Sep 14, 2007, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Agree that AMS is an easy upgrade (was able to confirm upgrade in advance with miles via AMS to ARN in both directions with little to no other upgradable options) but too bad the lounge options competely stink
What about the Singapore Silver Kris lounge?? It isn't a lavish place like at ICNm but it is extremely well-sticked with food, has a shower and clean bathrooms, free computer terminals with internet access, and a decent range of newspapers and magazines. To my mind, that's a very nice lounge!
Old Sep 14, 2007, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
AMS does indeed make a great gateway, but I've always had the opposite luck finding inexpensive fares, it always seems to be the highest for me. I usually find that booking ORD-LHR and then continuing from there is the least expensive option.
Seconded!
Old Sep 14, 2007, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by pkimball
I've also had very good luck going through Zurich - never had a problem getting the upgrade.
IAD-ZRH from being a cinch to upgrade, now must be the hardest route to ever get an ug at all. Now that the route caught on and LX and LH sell this codeshare as non-stop to the capital, the 936/937 pair always is ridiculously well booked.

Premium award classes zeroed out for dates in January .
Old Sep 15, 2007, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Muckus
What about the Singapore Silver Kris lounge?? It isn't a lavish place like at ICNm but it is extremely well-sticked with food, has a shower and clean bathrooms, free computer terminals with internet access, and a decent range of newspapers and magazines. To my mind, that's a very nice lounge!
I'll try to get into the Kris lounge since I'm *G but last time they didn't let me in with a UA ticket in C (but not *G).
Old Sep 15, 2007, 6:09 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
What wrong with AMS catering? I flew that route a few times, and I didn't notice a difference.
Also upgrades are good, but just checking the next few weeks looks basically zero'd out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.