Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best options for LAX-IAD?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Best options for LAX-IAD?

I have a friend with some health issues, and he would like to take first class from LAX to IAD or DCA...previously took the LAX-DCA flight on the only choice, Alaska, and it was extremely uncomfortable. Does anyone think UA will be a better choice from LAX to IAD? There's also American...

If only United ps served the Washington DC area he would be totally relaxed!

Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:01 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
There's a daily 777 flight. Take that in the F suite, and your friend will have an *AWESOME* flight.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

I had heard about the occasional domestic UA flights flown by international configured aircraft, I'm checking now to see if that's a viable option...thx!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Look for UA 946 LAX-IAD, which departs LAX in the morning and is often a 3-class 777. International C is much, much better than non-PS Domestic F.

If you want to fly into DCA, you will either have to connect through DEN or ORD.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if you can't get Int'l F Suite on LAX-IAD, Business on the 777 is better than regular domestic F (on both UA and AS).
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stratoliner777
I have a friend with some health issues, and he would like to take first class from LAX to IAD or DCA...previously took the LAX-DCA flight on the only choice, Alaska, and it was extremely uncomfortable. Does anyone think UA will be a better choice from LAX to IAD? There's also American...

If only United ps served the Washington DC area he would be totally relaxed!

Thanks for any advice.
Interesting that your friend found AS uncomfortable. I flew LAX-DCA in AS First last month (seat 2A, 737-800) and found the seat comfortable (albeit not a United First Suite), food good, digi-player nice, and service friendly and personal. I must say it was a nice change from a typical United transcon--and a fraction of the price of a UA First Suite.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:20 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Note that getting an international-style F suite does not come cheaply. F on a 3-cabin domestic flight will usually cost more ($$$ or miles) than F on the same 2-cabin domestic flight.

You can also go for C on a 3-cabin flight, which may cost more than 2-cabin F, but is often the same or around the same price.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:20 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
How about VX, by the way, if your friend doesn't want to shell out the cash for a UA Suite? Honestly, I'd rather do UA C, but whatever.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Ah yes, VX has now become an option, thx for that as well.

The reason why my friend has particular picky needs is he suffers from back pain, and cannot sit in a seat for prolonged periods of time--must lie down.

I looked on United.com and it allows booking the 777 in J, I suppose the F seats are blocked off for international or something? Anyhow, UA C-class might be good. Seatguru.com lists 38'' pitch.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stratoliner777
I looked on United.com and it allows booking the 777 in J, I suppose the F seats are blocked off for international or something? Anyhow, UA C-class might be good. Seatguru.com lists 38'' pitch.
No. No. And no. The 777 has 55" pitch in J (called C on United). You can buy F, for about $2500 each way.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:34 pm

Right, I'm sure you can force the LAX-IAD 777 in F, which will be a suite. It'll be expensive, however.

[KVS Availability Tool 2.9.1/Platinum - Sabre: Fares/DotRes/US/USD]
Code:
LAX  Los Angeles Int'l CA US [KLAX]
IAD  Washington Dulles Int'l DC US [KIAD]
MON  10 Sep 2007 / OW

Carrier   From   To   Fare      Cur                      Fare Basis
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- ---------- 
UA        LAX    IAD      632   USD                      QUA7UPN
UA        LAX    IAD      829   USD                      HUAUP
UA        LAX    IAD     1034   USD                      MUAUP
UA        LAX    IAD     1538   USD                      FUA2FS
UA        LAX    IAD     2490   USD                      FUA
UA        LAX    IAD     2510   USD                      F
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.