Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Interview with UA VP of Customer Service Barbara Higgins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interview with UA VP of Customer Service Barbara Higgins

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: DL 3MM/DM, AA 3MM/PLT, UA 1K
I sent a complaint letter to WHQ via FedEx to Ms. Higgins over a month ago and never received a response. I'm not hopeful for her to deliver much for us.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:29 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Q: Why do you think United ranked lowest among airlines in the University of Michigan customer satisfaction index this year?

A: The reason for getting that result largely happened in 2006. There are things that are going to be unavoidable, unfortunately, that are realities of air travel that have to do with weather and things that are happening with the air traffic control system.
Ugh. You see, these thingies like: weather in Chicago; paralyzing winter storms in DC; cloudy, rainy weather in San Francisco, and year round random weather in Denver are new for 2006. God has new thingies for other airlines next year and none of this will happen in 2008!

And things like ATC... can you believe that people actually sit in dark rooms hundreds of miles away from an airplane and actually talk to the people flying them? I mean, oh my god! Like, wow. And these people tell pilots to go fast, go high, go low and go slow. Sometimes they even tell the pilots to hold. But you see, they can't exactly hold. They have to move. Airplanes aren't humming birds, you know. Although both have wings. So, they fly in circles that are really ellipses. And then the planes come in late. And the people coming off are all . And we need to make them . So we give them apples and half-cups of water. Sometimes we put lemons in the water and the people are like . And that's why things like the 2006 edition of weather and atc are .

Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
(On a related note, does UA have private jets for their execs, or do their execs fly in F?)
Several years back, I flew LGA-ORD with John Edwardson, at the time, president of United. I was in NF, he was in Y. He came up to F, greeted every passenger by name, and thanked us for flying United.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
I may be wrong but this article (and the questions/answers there-in) seemed very similar to the one that appeared in Hemispheres last month.

Craig
Old Aug 26, 2007, 1:47 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Several years back, I flew LGA-ORD with John Edwardson, at the time, president of United. I was in NF, he was in Y. He came up to F, greeted every passenger by name, and thanked us for flying United.
Gee, I thought going from Y into the F cabin was a "security issue".
Old Aug 26, 2007, 3:00 pm

Location: my posts are my sole opinion and do not represent the opinions of UAL CORP and their subsidiaries
A friend of mine worked flt 252 on 8/22. (DEN-ORD) The flight diverted to DTW, which was only the beginning of the nightmare.

Onboard in F was Ms. Higgins, as well as JoAnne Calabrese(sp?) who I think is VP of airport operations.

After landing in DTW, it took 2 hours to find a gate that could accomodate a 767, and that was at the int'l terminal. They finally parked a little after 2300, and no one was allowed of the a/c until UAL and TSA personel arrived.

My friend said that both VP's were great w/ interacting w/ the pax, and were doing everything they could. She said they really took the heat which would usually be directed at the fa's. I should say that as soon as the plane parked and people were allowed off, the pilots walked as they were illegal for the day. So were the fa's, but they had to stay until a relief crew could be flown in.

One of the VP's used their credit card to order McD's for 300 people and had catering bring fresh ice, soda and bottled h20, as supplies onboard had been depleted. Ms. Calabrese was able to track down a polish speaker on her phone to explain what was going on to a non-english speaker. Apparently they both went above and beyond the call of duty on this flight.

Flt 252 finally left DTW at 0330 w/ a new crew, and my friend didn't get to her hotel until 0230(19 hours on duty with almost 11 hours of flight time). Her 1 day trip became a 3 day. She finally got home fri morning.

I can only hope that this expierence can open management's eyes, and see where things were done right, as well as what went horribly wrong.

Last edited by flygirl94; Aug 26, 2007 at 3:01 pm Reason: ;)
Old Aug 26, 2007, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flygirl94
A friend of mine worked flt 252 on 8/22. (DEN-ORD) The flight diverted to DTW, which was only the beginning of the nightmare.

Onboard in F was Ms. Higgins, as well as JoAnne Calabrese(sp?) who I think is VP of airport operations.
Looks like Ms. Higgins and Ms. Calabrese were leading by example, which is exactly what this airline needs! This is also a great example of how unfortunate turns of events do not necessarily have to end up badly for the customer/guest, because it sounds like the actions of Ms. Higgins and Ms. Calabrese probably carved a very positive impression in the minds of the passengers affected, and directly turned a bad situation into a very good one for United.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 26, 2007 at 9:31 pm Reason: parsing the quote down
Old Aug 26, 2007, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Excellent!!! ^^^

Looks like Ms. Higgins and Ms. Calabrese were leading by example, which is exactly what this airline needs! This is also a great example of how unfortunate turns of events do not necessarily have to end up badly for the customer/guest, because it sounds like the actions of Ms. Higgins and Ms. Calabrese probably carved a very positive impression in the minds of the passengers affected, and directly turned a bad situation into a very good one for United.
Totally agree, what a great story to hear!^

I think the criticism here is unwarranted, personally. I have heard many things about her, and all were positive in the highest degree!^ Come on folks, she has a difficult job. Stuff can't change overnight at UA, and I don't think she realized what a challenge she would have when she joined UAL. Give it some time, but I have confidence in Ms. Higgins, I really do!
Old Aug 26, 2007, 3:11 pm

One of the VP's used their credit card to order McD's for 300 people...
Were those Happy Meals?
Old Aug 26, 2007, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blort
Were those Happy Meals?
Funny, but I'm sure they were "happy meals" though for those involved
Old Aug 26, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
One of the VP's used their credit card to order McD's for 300 people and had catering bring fresh ice, soda and bottled h20, as supplies onboard had been depleted.
Interesting story...can't say I haven't lived something like that to much worse outcomes on UA and others. If UA's VP's are empowered to 'buy lunch' and recater everyone...why can't a GA or flight purser be empowered do the same thing during irrops?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 26, 2007 at 9:32 pm
Old Aug 26, 2007, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prestonh
Interesting story...can't say I haven't lived something like that to much worse outcomes on UA and others. If UA's VP's are empowered to 'buy lunch' and recater everyone...why can't a GA or flight purser be empowered do the same thing during irrops?
The TSA doesn't trust pax with water. Do you expect UA to trust FAs with expense accounts?
Old Aug 26, 2007, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
(On a related note, does UA have private jets for their execs, or do their execs fly in F?)
FWIW, DEN-ORD about three or four years ago, I sat in front of Glenn Tilton.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by transpac-canuck
That article sucked. (Not because of Ms. Higgins, but because the Denver Post put about as much effort into writing it as I did.) Fluff piece.
Kelly is a horrible writer. She general finds the positive angle on anything. Her article on DEN parking a few months ago was a laugh. Generally beleives the airlines and airports are great and takes things at their word. Chris Mathews she ain't.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Totally agree, what a great story to hear!^

I think the criticism here is unwarranted, personally. I have heard many things about her, and all were positive in the highest degree!^ Come on folks, she has a difficult job. Stuff can't change overnight at UA, and I don't think she realized what a challenge she would have when she joined UAL. Give it some time, but I have confidence in Ms. Higgins, I really do!
Gag. I just puked on my keyboard. Yeah, her job is hard? Guess that's why she's probably paid mid six figures. Huh, my job is hard to but I'd be fired for giving responses like hers to one of my clients. Total PR gloss over. No sense of reality. The whole 2006 comment should have been reason enough to remove her. She didn't realize the challenge that is UA? Why not? There's plenty of FT posting that would have explained it. Heck, a dozen flight before taking the job would have squared her away. If she didn't perform due dilligence, shame on her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.