Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Row 16 is missing! and other notes from UA 915 8/22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN

Flew 915 IAD-SFO on Wednesday in C, seat 15D. As this is the last row of C before the Y cabin, I overheard a number of interesting conversations during Y boarding: more than a half-dozen pax had row 16 seat assignments! Of course, there is no row 16! One FA tried to explain that there "had been a plane change, and the other plane has a row 16." The only kind of change I could think of would have been from one 777 WW config to another -- but neither one has a row 16.

Needless to say, there was some serious scrambling by UA staff to accommodate pax. Mini-panic would be overstating it, but there was plenty of confusion, with mis-booked pax in the aisles and galleys and staff going back and forth to the GA desk.

I saw one pax was moved from Y to C, and another from Y directly to F suite, in spite of one empty C seat still left. (Nice double-up!) I didn't see all the other movement, but everyone seemed to find a seat in the end.

What would have caused this, especially with the similar 777 configs? How could it have gotten so far as pax actually getting all the way onto the plane, only to discover their boarding passes were invalid? Isn't that one of the functions of the swipe at the jetway door?

In other news, this was the best cabin crew that I have experienced in years. Extremely attentive and polite. The purser introduced herself to every C pax during meal ordering, and thanked them for their individual MP status. I am not exaggerating in saying that not five minutes went by -- during a five hour flight -- that there wasn't an FA in the aisles checking for bevs, refills, and any other needs. Wow. ^^ (Oops, I forget: during preflight announcements they were addressed as "Cabin Safety Professionals" ) It was such a remarkable service experience (although we would all like it to be the norm) that I have written my first compliment letter to UA.

Only one disturbing note: what's up with the wine selections getting worse and worse? We were offered stuff that one would be hard-pressed to find at a rundown supermarket. Very disappointing. I can't believe Doug Frost is still lending his name as UA Sommelier.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 6:40 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I haven't been on a 777 with a Row 16 in years, but who knows? Maybe there is still one or two left in the system.

I have boarded the plane to find my seat didn't exist. This was caused by a swap of one 744 with another, which apparently didn't trigger a reseating. I found the purser, who looked at me, looked at my ticket, looked at where the seat was supposed to be, looked at the ticket again, and finally said, "The upper deck is pretty empty. Just go up there and grab a free seat."
Old Aug 25, 2007, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Row 16 exists on the 2-class 777

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._777-200_D.php
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Could be a switch from a 767 international to a 777 as well...
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:53 am

I had a similar if not quite so dramatic experience on this flight a few weeks ago.

I had secured seat 8J, which is my preference on the 777, when booking online.

However, come to Mr Chicken, he spat out 14E, and did not want to talk to me any further.

It was indeed a plane change ... Made what promised to be a nice flight into an ordinary one.

PS. I have been a lurker on this board for quite a while, so I have a small idea of what`s going on (I hope). And if my keyboard breaks out into kanji from time to time, please forgive me (it has a mind of its own)..
Old Aug 26, 2007, 1:44 am

Programs: UA 1k
Mr. Chicken always screws you over when there is a plane change. He automatically does one of two things:

1. Gives you a "B" seat or an "E" seat, with no chance of an appeal, even though plenty of windows and aisles are free
or
2. Tells you to call customer service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.