Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Overheard FA chatting: New FA safety announcement coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overheard FA chatting: New FA safety announcement coming

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:18 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Overheard FA chatting: New FA safety announcement and FC of 3 3-point harness coming

File this under overheard FA chatting (yes, FA's, we DO listen in when you chatter away for over a half-hour!), so take it for what it is worth:

One FA was describing for another FA how he had just come back from a training session that apparently all FAs are being rotated through. Among the 'retraining' topics covered was a new safety announcement that will change some of the old familiar-but-out-of-date language. Gone will be any note of "placards." The language will clear up what is "Federal regulations" what is "FAA Regulations" and what is "United Policy." There will be more talk about making the flying experience an enjoyable one.

He also mentioned that something about the current design the new first class (of 3-class) seats are going to kick in FAA-required 3-point harness seat belts under certain conditions, and how this was covered in the training session...

Again, all fwiw!

Last edited by kokonutz; Aug 24, 2007 at 9:01 am
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hope it's true! No more flight safety experts!^
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:02 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Somehow I don't see security/September 11/terrorists going away as the excuse for everything from some FAs, no matter what UA tells them.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by kokonutz
He also mentioned that something about the current design the new first class (of 3-class) seats are going to kick in FAA-required 3-point harness seat belts under certain conditions, and how this was covered in the training session...
That's a new one. Any ideas on how this would work and what is the FAA requirement?
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Gone will be any note of "placards." The language will clear up what is "Federal regulations" what is "FAA Regulations" and what is "United Policy." There will be more talk about making the flying experience an enjoyable one.
Aren't FAA regulations federal regulations?
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Aren't FAA regulations federal regulations?
I always thought that was what the "F" stood for

Lurker
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Lurker
I always thought that was what the "F" stood for

Lurker
Well is there another federal agency regulating this? It can be a Federal Regulation and not be an FAA regulation. Just like how all apples are fruit but not all fruits are apples.

I'm just glad i don't have to hear "plaque card" any more!
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by gj83
Just like how all apples are fruit but not all fruits are apples.
Not all apples are fruit... some are computers.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gj83
Well is there another federal agency regulating this?
NTSB 830, for example.

I haven't seen any regulations requiring 3-point harnesses for anyone other than required crewmembers. I would take that portion with a grain of salt, unless they're going to reserve F for crew...
Old Aug 23, 2007, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsgoldbe
That's a new one. Any ideas on how this would work and what is the FAA requirement?

Due to the change in the angle of the new first class seats the passengers would encounter too much twisting force on the torso. So during take off and landing there will be an across the chest third point seat belt that will be required to be used. But only during t/o and landing.

Old Aug 23, 2007, 3:55 pm

The cell phone ban is a FCC regulation rather than an FAA regulation, so there are federal regs. that affect flights that are not from the FAA.

Being written from Amtrak's Wolverine pulling into CHI Union Station, cleverly avoiding the ORD meltdown with today's storms (coming to CHI from DET).
Old Aug 23, 2007, 3:56 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Due to the change in the angle of the new first class seats the passengers would encounter too much twisting force on the torso.
Thanks for that explanation.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by KansasMike
The cell phone ban is a FCC regulation rather than an FAA regulation, so there are federal regs. that affect flights that are not from the FAA.
At the moment, the ban is actually from both, because cell phones are RF-emitting devices that have not been approved by the FAA for in-flight use. They haven't been approved because there has been no need, thanks to the FCC ban, but that means they are essentially banned by the FAA as well.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by cepheid
cell phones are RF-emitting devices that have not been approved by the FAA for in-flight use.
Unless it's changed recently, electronics don't have to be approved by the FAA, only by the PIC.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Unless it's changed recently, electronics don't have to be approved by the FAA, only by the PIC.
Hmm. Well, I could have been talking out of my rear. Wouldn't be the first time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.