Community
Wiki Posts
Search

expensive buy-up to F offered at purchase

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
expensive buy-up to F offered at purchase

So I was booking a red-eye SFO-ORD-YUL and back yesterday, and after entering all my credit card details and clicking the purchase button, the little gremlins that run united.com presented me an exclusive offer that would "expire in 5 minutes!"

Apparently I had been selected to receive a discounted buy-up into First for my entire outbound (domestic 763 and E170). First (sorry) time I've seen that happen, and curiosity got the better of me, so I opened up another browser and made a dummy booking to check out the first class fares.

And there's the kicker - the same little gremlins were willing to sell me First straight up on the same flights for a whopping 8 dollars LESS than their exclusive discounted offer!

I tried another dummy booking so I could reproduce the actual numbers for this post, but of course I'm not getting the offer now.

I wonder how many people take advantage of this sort of a buy-up offer at purchase time -- I'm not convinced it hits the same sort of impulse buying triggers that the check-in time offers do.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. Do you remember approximately how much the buy up was?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Hard to comment without knowing the numbers.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K in training
I've seen this once before, but I don't remember the numbers at all. I think you're right, though -- it's just playing on peoples' impules buying tendencies and their thinking that they're getting some special deal. I was curious what the tickets would have booked as if I had taken advantage of the offer (QUP, A, or just some Y fare with an upgrade).
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by hockeyguy
it's just playing on peoples' impules buying tendencies and their thinking that they're getting some special deal.
Surely that's got to violate some rule/law about misleading the public?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:30 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by AdamUK
Surely that's got to violate some rule/law about misleading the public?
How is it misleading? Is there a statement on the buy-up that says "This is a better deal than you could have gotten on your own"?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
How is it misleading? Is there a statement on the buy-up that says "This is a better deal than you could have gotten on your own"?
To offer a higher price for something that is readily available at a cheaper price and wrap it up as a "deal" is ok...?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:47 pm
nnn

To offer a higher price for something than is readily available at a cheaper price and wrap it up as a "deal" is ok...?
From a legal perspective, yes, it can be just fine. In fact, getting yourself the best possible deal is what America is all about, right? (Maybe the UK is different.)
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:52 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To offer a higher price for something that is readily available at a cheaper price and wrap it up as a "deal" is ok...?
That, my friend, is called capitalism, not fraud.

Originally Posted by nnn
From a legal perspective, yes, it can be just fine. In fact, getting yourself the best possible deal is what America is all about, right? (Maybe the UK is different.)
From a moral stance, it's wrong in my opinion ... Though i'm all for making a fast-buck
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I bought ORD-MCI last night (ticketed in Q/QUWLA) it offered me a first class upsell on the outbound (but not return) leg for an extra $140.
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Hard to comment without knowing the numbers.
Generally, $65 per 500 miles, from what I have seen.

Maybe $70 now.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:56 pm
nnn

From a moral stance, it's wrong in my opinion ... Though i'm all for making a fast-buck
I don't know if this would work, but if you did pay for the upsell then discover the same day that you could have purchased an F ticket on your own for cheaper, then maybe you can do the 24-hour cancellation thing and get your money back.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
I don't know if this would work, but if you did pay for the upsell then discover the same day that you could have purchased an F ticket on your own for cheaper, then maybe you can do the 24-hour cancellation thing and get your money back.
I would have thought yes.... unless the 24-hour cancellation thing doesn't include "Deals"
Old Aug 17, 2007, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It was around $13xx extra for the SFO-ORD-YUL buy-up to First.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.