Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Cities?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:31 pm

AA used to do JFK-SNA and CO does EWR-SNA.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 6:34 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bhmlurker
Speaking of that, is P.S. a moneymaker or loss leader? If it makes money you'd think UA would expand it to more routes, but no. If it loses money you'd think UA cut it asap, and that doesn't happen either.
I suspect it makes money given the loads (almost always 100% full these days, IME) and the fact that UA hasn't scaled it back.

As to why it hasn't expanded to other cities, I think the dynamics of the pax on the particular routes flown dictate it more than the inherent profitability of the service. In other words, UA knows they have high paid F & C demand for LAX-JFK, due in part to the SAG, for example.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:14 am

Programs: SPG Gold, United Mileage Plus
I vote for a return of mainline to SYR! BUF, ROC and ALB get several 737s/A32X, and SYR gets CRJs with a few CR7s.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:31 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by bhmlurker
I'd think 752 is especially suited to handle the short runway and full power takeoffs. Convert more planes to P.S. and fly into SNA - tons of rich folks in orange county that you'd think would gladly pay for F and C to NY or DC.
that, makes no sense at all. p.s. to SNA? ridiculous.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by UA2SYD
I did MKE-DEN on a 757 in June 2006. No longer available?
Are you sure it was MKE-DEN? United has not had any mainline service in MKE since 2001.

I remember flying MKE-ORD on the 757. That was a nice experience considering actual flying time was only 10 minutes that day!

The problem with MKE is that United would be competing directly with Midwest Airlines, which IMO offers much better service and in-flight product.

Last edited by BlueHorseShoe2000; Oct 1, 2007 at 3:03 pm
Old Oct 1, 2007, 6:59 pm

Programs: 2P
Originally Posted by haddon90
that, makes no sense at all. p.s. to SNA? ridiculous.
before i hooked up with united most every flight i went on between sna and jfk/ewr was packed....sna is a very, very busy airport for it's size. i don't know if it makes sense but that's the story.

Last edited by Jonai; Oct 1, 2007 at 6:59 pm Reason: spl error
Old Oct 1, 2007, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jonai
before i hooked up with united most every flight i went on between sna and jfk/ewr was packed....sna is a very, very busy airport for it's size. i don't know if it makes sense but that's the story.
One thing to consider is that a given plane may be packed--heck, unfortunately, many TED routes are jammed full all the time--but that doesn't necessarily translate into the F and C fares needed to drive p.s. Too, I suspect UA wants to see a lot of full-fare purchases on p.s., and not a ton of A and Z. I'm not convinced that SNA, despite the affluence of the area residents, can do that.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:24 pm

but i still don't find the notion ridiculous.

i think p.s. service for lax/sfo to iad would be good, but that's for another thread.

my original point was that i would like to have direct service between sna and iad. that's the only ual hub that cannot be reached directly from sna (wait, is jfk still considered a ua hub?)

Last edited by Jonai; Oct 1, 2007 at 8:36 pm Reason: second thought
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:38 pm

(wait, is jfk still considered a ua hub?)
I think the answer to that is a resounding "NO."
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:12 pm

it's Ridiculous it's Resounding and I am outta here.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:24 am

Programs: UA1K
it's Ridiculous it's Resounding and I am outta here.
washington can't support the full C and F fares that p.s. demands. that's why new york is going to be the only city you see p.s. in. granted, it would be nice to see IAD-SNA, i don't think it's too high on UA's list, unless UA sees a huge increase in traffic between those two airports. yes, p.s. is nice, but so is the 3-class aircraft from IAD-SFO/LAX/SEA. so p.s. is staying put.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:48 am

Location: 5 min. from ITH, 1:20 from SYR, but will drive for E+
Programs: UA 1K/MM
Originally Posted by PanAm330
I vote for a return of mainline to SYR! BUF, ROC and ALB get several 737s/A32X, and SYR gets CRJs with a few CR7s.
Amen to that! SYR is one my home airports, and I can't remember the last time my ERJ, CRJ, or CR7 wasn't packed to the gills. I keep hoping (not unreasonably, I think) that UA makes these decisions on the basis of pax loads, and will soon see the sense in restoring mainline service up here.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
IAD-SNA would be nice imo.
Funny that one.

I don't expect anyone to remember it but this route WAS, once upon a time, planned, sold and scheduled. In the summer of 2001. It was set to begin at the end of September, October, something like that. Then 9/11 happened and as I'm sure most of you recall, routes were cancelled in spades.

The only reason I remember this is not because I was a gate agent working @ IAD at the time, but because my brother lived 10 minutes from SNA at the time and it meant I could fly nonstop to see him, so I was obviously particularly pleased by this new route! And particularly disappointed when it didn't materialize.

Will united ever again consider IAD-SNA?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by DullesJason
Will united ever again consider IAD-SNA?
There must be some considerable demand for the route. Sometimes, I have seen 2-3 direct flights marketed for IAD-SNA, with stops in ORD or DEN. Right now, there's just one:

UA491/UA491 IAD 6:00 AM SNA 10:15AM DEN 752 7h15m
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u
There must be some considerable demand for the route. Sometimes, I have seen 2-3 direct flights marketed for IAD-SNA, with stops in ORD or DEN. Right now, there's just one:

UA491/UA491 IAD 6:00 AM SNA 10:15AM DEN 752 7h15m
There is currently another IAD-SNA direct flight, UA239, which also departs at 6 a.m., stops in ORD, and arrives SNA at 10:24 a.m.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.