Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA966 arrives in IAD from LAX at 5:47pm and leaves for FCO at 6:16pm

Old Aug 15, 07, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN

This is clearly an illegal connection. How does UA get away with it? Doesn't someone in the government police schedules? Moreover, that LAX-IAD flight is late several times a week (including today) and they never hold IAD-FCO for connecting passengers. It's the same flight number -- great reason to end that ridiculous marketing ploy called "direct flight." There is nothing direct about most of those flights. (OK, maybe when the same 777 does LAX-IAD-AMS or DEN-IAD-MUC, but that happens rarely and you still have to leave the plane.)
Old Aug 15, 07, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
T...Moreover, that LAX-IAD flight is late several times a week (including today) and they never hold IAD-FCO for connecting passengers.
Since there's only one IAD-FCO flight per day, and UA is only nonstop on that route, what have they been doing for the misconnects? Overnight hotel and rebook for the next day? Reroute through LHR/FRA/MUC/ZRH?
Old Aug 15, 07, 7:18 pm

Programs: Tier 1: UA 1P, SPG Gold, Avis First, AMEX MR, My Borgata :) Tier 2: HH, TR, NW, AA, etc.
Originally Posted by djerikd View Post
Since there's only one IAD-FCO flight per day, and UA is only nonstop on that route, what have they been doing for the misconnects? Overnight hotel and rebook for the next day? Reroute through LHR/FRA/MUC/ZRH?
My guess is the latter, I am in the same situation with IAD-AMS and IAD-BRU... the one time I missed a connection at IAD I was offered LH through FRA or UA to LHR and BMI on. They did offer the overnight hotel first, but when pressed, were able to rebook me through LHR
Old Aug 15, 07, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Like what happened today:

Flight 966
Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
Wed, Aug 15
Scheduled: 9:41 AM
Actual: 10:53 AM

Washington, DC (IAD)
Wed, Aug 15
Scheduled: 5:47 PM
Actual: 6:51 PM

Flight 966
Washington, DC (IAD)
Wed, Aug 15
Scheduled: 6:16 PM
Actual: 6:17 PM

Rome, Italy (FCO)
Thu, Aug 16
Scheduled: 8:50 AM
Estimated: 8:27 AM
Old Aug 15, 07, 7:43 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat current Titanium
I'm a big fan of outlawing "direct" flights like this. Each segments gets a number--period.
Old Aug 15, 07, 7:44 pm
zac

Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
Doesn't someone in the government police schedules?
Forget government intervention. Why from a business perspective would UA do something like this? On its face all it appears to do is cause problems for both UA and its passengers. If they must do these fake direct flights why not use an earlier LAX-IAD flight?
Old Aug 15, 07, 8:05 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zac View Post
Why from a business perspective would UA do something like this?
After reading everything on this forum, do you really have to ask?
Old Aug 15, 07, 8:10 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by zac View Post
Forget government intervention. Why from a business perspective would UA do something like this? On its face all it appears to do is cause problems for both UA and its passengers. If they must do these fake direct flights why not use an earlier LAX-IAD flight?
Customers often tend to prefer booking flights with shorter elapsed time, and I think in reservation systems flights with shorter elapsed times are shown more prominently.

I usually intentionally book longer connections when connecting to an international flightto reduce the risk of misconnecting (and to get more lounge time) - but I'm not sure most customers think of it - so therefore UA markets flights with connections that are somewhat risky.

That all said misconnects cost UA money too so hopefully if they notice a lot of misconnects happening they will retime connections or increase the minimum connect time. BTW, what is the domestic -> intl MCT at IAD? Maybe it's 25 minutes, which would make this 29 minute connection legal, but that seems REALLY short...
Old Aug 15, 07, 8:18 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by das View Post
Customers often tend to prefer booking flights with shorter elapsed time, and I think in reservation systems flights with shorter elapsed times are shown more prominently.
United has improved slightly on this topic by putting CHG in the equipment field for a flight when there is a change of aircraft. They used to act like it was the same plane and just pick the first equipment or the second.

Baby steps.

p.s. I believe airport taxes (for the stopping airport) are not levied on passengers traveling on a 'direct' flight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: