Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starnet and Award availability

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:56 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tomphot
My brother just tried this and was told by the UA agent that she could not enter the number manually - if she did and issued a ticket, he would be denied boarding at the airport because the system would kick it out.
While not an expert, I can not imagine any way for the "system" to deny you boarding for a flight in which you:

1) Have a confirmed reservation on a flight
2) Have a ticket (or e-ticket) with a coupon (or e-coupon) that is valid for that flight.
3) Checked in within the required time frame.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 3:07 pm
AHO

Originally Posted by VPescado
While not an expert, I can not imagine any way for the "system" to deny you boarding for a flight in which you:

1) Have a confirmed reservation on a flight
2) Have a ticket (or e-ticket) with a coupon (or e-coupon) that is valid for that flight.
3) Checked in within the required time frame.
Denid boarding, I have no idea. But denied check in, yes, it happened to me.
CA denied to check me in even though I:
1) had confirmed reservation. (at least in UA's system)
2) had valid e-ticket which was issued by UA. (an award ticket)
3) came to check in counter in time.(1:15 h before departue time)
Old Apr 14, 2008, 5:48 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Here's another data point as I try to book a NRT-PEK trip.

ANA tool shows two NH flights available, one in both C and Y, the other in C only. They haven't added CA to the website yet, so no way to check on those three nonstops.

UA agent says: Only one flight is available, a CA flight -- in C only!

So it's easier to get CA C than NH Y? What's up with this?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:37 am

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
While it's not directly on point, I've been able to refine my mostly-F saver award SFO-LEJ for May 6-13. Originally, it was SFO-LAX (Y) - LHR (F) - FRA (C) - LEJ (C); LEJ-FRA(C), - ORD (F) - SFO (C); then LAX-LHR-FRA became LAX-FRA (though I have to train to LEJ now) and FRA-ORD-SFO became FRA-LAX-SFO(Y); then that became FRA-SFO. ^ Hopefully by the time I go, it'll be SFO-FRA. Oh, and I've cut the taxes down by more than 1/2.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:42 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
I tried to book r/t 1st on TG BKK-JNB (TG 703/704), ANA tool shows availability. Call UA, and the agent says that she can see the flight as available for sale on the res. screen, however when she switches over to look for available flights from award inventory (I'm not sure what the screens contain or look like) not only is the flight not available, the flight isn't even there. As in, it doesn't seem to be just "unavailable" - it doesn't even exist for an award. She was just as confused as I was.

Last edited by TravelinWilly; Apr 14, 2008 at 9:57 am Reason: Typo - fix quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I assume you got a Y award, right?
Yes, it is in Y.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spin88

The guy from SQ was actually on the phone with UA, and told them it was in starnet, and then when that did not work, to try to get it to work he actually did a rebooking for me in I, and gave UA the confirmation number, all that UA had to do according to the SQ guy was take the booking and confirm it. UA would just not do it, even when he sent them the reservation.
I strongly doubt the SQ agent was looking at a "Starnet" display to see availability. The agent was probably looking at what is available to passengers redeeming SQ miles for award seats.

Even if the SQ agent was looking at a "Starnet" display, it would not show the same results that a UA agent would see. The UA agent's screen is filtered and limits availability.

There is nothing in the rules that prohibits UA from restricting availability of Star Alliance awards. We may not like it, but UA can do it.

I have a lot of miles in LH and BD. Yes, availability is a LOT better, but you get absolutely murdered with the additional taxes they charge (which are not taxes at all but fuel surcharges). HUGE difference from the "taxes" that UA charges for redemptions on the same routes.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 4:13 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by AHO
Denid boarding, I have no idea. But denied check in, yes, it happened to me.
CA denied to check me in even though I:
1) had confirmed reservation. (at least in UA's system)
2) had valid e-ticket which was issued by UA. (an award ticket)
3) came to check in counter in time.(1:15 h before departue time)
I'm currently on hold with a UA agent who has informed me that they can't issue e-tickets for CA flights: only a paper ticket will do, and it has to be issued immediately upon booking. So they booked me and told me to call Japan reservations to get the ticket issued.

So I called Japan reservations to get the paper tickets, and the agent said "I'm sorry--those aren't good dates for Air China!"

Looks like I will be using NW miles for this trip.

And possibly many more...

Last edited by joejones; Apr 14, 2008 at 5:10 pm
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I have a lot of miles in LH and BD. Yes, availability is a LOT better, but you get absolutely murdered with the additional taxes they charge (which are not taxes at all but fuel surcharges). HUGE difference from the "taxes" that UA charges for redemptions on the same routes.
BD does not charge for fuel surcharge.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by see the world
Yes they do. Whether they call them fuel surcharges or taxes, they do charge a crazy premium.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by see the world
They most certainly do. I just booked BKK-xSIN-oMNL and return on SQ in F using BD miles. UA wouldn't book it becuase it was over the award maximum permitted mileage (although UA did show the availability).

I did it last year using UA miles and all I paid were the miles and the departure tax out of Bangkok (around US$20.00 at the time).

Using BD miles, it was around £82.00 (US$165.00) and, of course, the £3.00 "convenience" fee for booking with a credit card instead of a debit card.

BD doesn't call it a fuel surcharge, but that is exactly what it is.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
BD doesn't call it a fuel surcharge, but that is exactly what it is.
That explains a lot... I always thought the taxes were very high, and when I asked whether they charge the YQ/fuel extra component, they said no.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, Starnet strikes again.

Looking for an award to MUC in June. Availability on LH flights in F via the ANA tool, but nothing via UA.

Too bad UA doesn't merge with LH; we could get Miles & More -- a frequent flyer program with some integrity.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Ah, Starnet strikes again.

Looking for an award to MUC in June. Availability on LH flights in F via the ANA tool, but nothing via UA.

Too bad UA doesn't merge with LH; we could get Miles & More -- a frequent flyer program with some integrity.
And 40% more expensive awards. Cut .. nose . . sp . . face
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:24 am

Programs: Lots
I'd rather have more expensive awards than nonepass-style availability. One (or both), coming soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.