Cancel itinerary, retain voucher value?

Old Aug 11, 2007, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Cancel itinerary, retain voucher value?

Hi all,

I KNOW this has been covered but the search function is not playing for me right now!

I have an itinerary ticketed with $500 VDB voucher and cash co-payment to make up the difference.

If I have to cancel this ticket, and try to retain the value towards a future ticket purchase, will I be able to keep the total value towards a new ticket, or only the amount I paid in cash?

I seem to remember a thread on here saying you would lose the voucher value.
Can anybody confirm?

Many thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
If it's a VDB voucher, that voucher is Type B. You should receive a replacement Type B voucher with the original expiration date, plus either a refund of the cash payment (if a refundable ticket) or another voucher for the cash payment portion minus the $100 change fee (if a non-refundable ticket).

If the voucher were Type A, it would be lost for good since those vouchers are nonrefundable. VDB vouchers are Type B, however, so are "like cash" and refundable (as vouchers, of course).

I think.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks for the reply! I called UA and was told I would be able to apply the entire value of the ticket to a new itinerary, providing the base fare is higher than the original.

I didn't mention it was paid with a type B VDB voucher (nor did she) and there was no mention of a $100 or similar change fee/penalty.

Sounds too good to be true?
Old Aug 12, 2007, 4:59 am

Yeah, the no penalty thing doesn't sound right. The penalty depends on the rules of the ticket you purchased. The voucher part sounds right, since it's type B.

-David
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:28 am

Related question:

I had a fully refundable $395 reservation for one passenger that I purchased with type B vouchers that expired this past July. I called UA to change the reservation for a nonrefundable fare to different city pairs, different dates, and TWO passengers instead of just one.

The UA agent (with a heavy accent) told me he has no way to add a new passenger to the existing PNR. Instead, he rebooked my flight using the same PNR and told me a new voucher would be mailed out with the $185 or so balance. He booked a new PNR for the other passenger, and held that passenger's reservation indefinitely....giving me plenty of time to receive the voucher and redeem it at the airport.

The agent assured me that the new voucher will expire one year from the date it is printed (and NOT the expiration date of the original voucher, which was this past July).

I'm concerned because others on the board have said that any voucher balance from a canceled refundable fare will be reissued as a new voucher with the ORIGINAL expiration date (and if the date has passed, the value will be lost and the voucher will not be reissued).

What will really happen in my case? Did the UA agent do something special to ensure the new voucher has a new expiration date on it? Is there really no way they could just take the remaining value of the original PNR and apply it to a new PNR without mailing a voucher out? This seems like quite an archaic process.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 1:12 am

you'll be fine. new voucher with 1 year expiration date from new issue date.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by vortix
The UA agent (with a heavy accent) told me he has no way to add a new passenger to the existing PNR. Instead, he rebooked my flight using the same PNR and told me a new voucher would be mailed out with the $185 or so balance. He booked a new PNR for the other passenger, and held that passenger's reservation indefinitely....giving me plenty of time to receive the voucher and redeem it at the airport.

The agent assured me that the new voucher will expire one year from the date it is printed (and NOT the expiration date of the original voucher, which was this past July).
Now I'm really concerned. I checked the UA confirmation # for the 2nd passenger online, and the UA site says it can't find it. Clearly it wasn't held indefinitely like the earlier agent promised. I still haven't received my voucher, either.

I'll have to call UA....it will be interesting to see how they handle this. Prices went up significantly on the flights I want, so they will need to figure out a way to lock in my prices again, AND tell me what the status is of mailing me my new voucher. What a pain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.