Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Upgrade Waiting List Priority Order" Thread [Merged]

The Consolidated "Upgrade Waiting List Priority Order" Thread [Merged]

Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:24 am
LAX
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond
Exclamation The Consolidated "Upgrade Waiting List Priority Order" Thread [Merged]

I apologize if this has been covered before. I have already skimmed through several pages under "upgrade" search and the FAQ, but found no answer. Is there any difference between requesting upgrades using CR1 vs. miles? Does one clear sooner than the other (ie: higher priority)? Does one have more inventory than the other (ie: more seats available for upgrade)? TIA.

LAX

Moderator's Note - I'm going to add a link to the thread in the Forum FAQ that details United's upgrade priority policy...

Understanding the upgrade waitlist priority order
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=233

Thanks,
FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 11, 2007 at 2:28 pm
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:26 am

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Originally Posted by LAX
I apologize if this has been covered before. I have already skimmed through several pages under "upgrade" search and the FAQ, but found no answer. Is there any difference between requesting upgrades using CR1 vs. miles? Does one clear sooner than the other (ie: higher priority)? Does one have more inventory than the other (ie: more seats available for upgrade)? TIA.

LAX
If you're on an international flight, miles upgrades (if they don't clear immediately) are put on the PB waitlist, while SWUs, etc. put on PA (higher priority). But if it's just domestic, I believe all confirmed instruments have the same priority on the waitlist.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:42 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
There is reallyt no difference between CR1 and mileage upgrades if a confirmable seat is available. Both options will get you the upgrade upon request.

Now, it is my understanding that the inventory available will be equivalent, but on a waitlisted segment, the CR1 has a higher priority.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 3:35 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Premier
Let's say you are doing an ORD - HNL roundtrip, but on the outbound (or inbound), you have a stopover in LAX (or SFO or wherever).

Using miles, you will be able to upgrade both ORD - LAX and LAX - HNL segments with one mileage upgrade, provided that both segments are in the same fare class.

Using CR1s, you will have to use 2 CR1s to upgrade the 2 segments.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 1:57 pm
LAX
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Foady
Let's say you are doing an ORD - HNL roundtrip, but on the outbound (or inbound), you have a stopover in LAX (or SFO or wherever).

Using miles, you will be able to upgrade both ORD - LAX and LAX - HNL segments with one mileage upgrade, provided that both segments are in the same fare class.

Using CR1s, you will have to use 2 CR1s to upgrade the 2 segments.
Hmmm... I can upgrade 2 segments of a flight with a stopover in betwee using only 1 mileage upgrade award?! Now that would be sweet as that's exactly what I am hoping to do. I am planning to fly out to HI from PHL with a stopover at LAX on the outbound. Does this mean I can upgrade the entire itinerary (ie: PHL-LAX(stopover)-HNL outbound and HNL-SFO-PHL inbound) using 30,000 miles instead of 45,000 miles? Can anyone else confirm that?

LAX
Old Jul 16, 2006, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LAX
Hmmm... I can upgrade 2 segments of a flight with a stopover in betwee using only 1 mileage upgrade award?
Yes. That's the huge benefit to mileage upgrades. We did this a couple of years ago with SFO-NRT (stopover) NRT-BKK for one mileage upgrade.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 3:08 pm
LAX
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes. That's the huge benefit to mileage upgrades. We did this a couple of years ago with SFO-NRT (stopover) NRT-BKK for one mileage upgrade.
Perhaps some of you might have seen this question coming--why would anyone want to trade 15,000 miles for a CR1 then? I realize SWU works differently since mileage upgrades on international flights require higher fare classes, but on domestic flights, AFAIK, 15,000 miles upgrade all fare classes (maybe except award and industry fares).

LAX
Old Jul 16, 2006, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LAX
why would anyone want to trade 15,000 miles for a CR1 then?
Two reasons.
  • Waitlists. CR-1s go on PA, mileage upgrades go on PB (except sometimes for 1Ks).
  • To be nice. If you don't need the extra capability and someone else could use the miles, it's just a nice thing to do.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:26 am

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
Question Upgrade Priority??

If I get waitlisted for an intl upgrade, what determine where on the list I fall, does the upgrade instrument (SWU vs Miles matter)? What about fare class?? Or is it just date/time added to the list

I assume if it goes to the gate things change ...
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I am interested in the reply too since I am waitlisted for an INT upgrade with miles.

I'm sure MP status fits in there somewhere too. I was told seniority within status (as in who has been 1K the longest) is a determining factor also.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:44 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
I am pretty sure SWU will trump miles and first on the upgrade list breaks ties.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott AMB
When waitlisted there are 2 waitlists, PA and PB. If upgrading using SWU you are put on the PA waitlist which clears first on, first off (irrelevent of status or fare). If upgrading with miles you are put on the PB waitlist which also clears first on, first off (irrelevant of status or fare), but only after the PA waitlist is cleared. I have read experiences of 1Ks upgrading with miles being put on the PA though.

Once it goes to the DM list, the PA and PB waitlists are combined and are sorted by Status, Fare, and Time added.

Somebody correct me if I got anything wrong.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
bosbjg - This really has been covered in 100 threads - several of them lately. Is "search" really broken' today?

BEFORE airport control PA/PB reigns

AT airport (another 100 threads) the DM list runs things.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:24 pm

Programs: All the regulars for an American. Retired now so peon on all of them
Originally Posted by ozstamps
bosbjg AT airport (another 100 threads) the DM list runs things.
And here it I always thought it was supposed to be status, fare class, then time added to DM. The second section of the email below seems to contradict that understanding. I got the following letter from 1K Voice:

Dear Mr. Deckman,

Thank you for your email dated October 23, in response to Ms. Coslet's
recent email acknowledging a Chicago/Dulles flight delay. We
understand that you were more concerned with the service-related issues you experienced for the Beijing-Chicago portion, and appreciate the time you
have taken to provide feedback.

Although Customer Relations is not in a position to reconstruct why our
airport staff had difficulties in locating or processing your new
reservation/transferred ticket, your experience did not reflect United's
commitment to provide each customer with an enjoyable travel experience.
Please accept my apology. Your comments concern us because, as a
company, all United employees have a commitment to a customer satisfaction philosophy that emphasizes the importance in responding to the needs of each customer. And our staff has the training and the responsibility
to resolve service issues immediately. As you pointed out, though, we
didn't measure up to your expectations and we appreciate your letting us
know how we might better serve you.

Since upgrade waitlists are not archived once a departure management
list is finalized, we are also not able to ascertain why another
passenger received an upgrade as you report. It may be helpful for you to know that we also have an obligation to other customers standing by for
Business and First Class seats. So we use a computerized departure
management system that prioritizes upgrade requests as follows:

--Customers denied boarding on earlier United flights
--Customers from cancelled United flights
--United customers who have missed connecting flights
--United full-fare customers
The priority status of our full-fare revenue customers is further
divided by Mileage Plus status-1K, Premier Executive, and Premier.

Your concerns are important to us. Please be assured that we have
shared your comments in a report with the appropriate management; your
feedback makes a difference. Mr. Deckman as a gesture of our goodwill, we
will arrange to credit your Mileage Plus account with 5,000 miles.
Thank you for this opportunity to respond. As our valued 1K flyer, we
look forward to serving you.

Regards,

XXXX
United Airlines Customer Relations

Last edited by deckman; Oct 24, 2006 at 2:33 pm
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
That recent long thread by Dulles Jason or whatever covers this quite well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.