Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

HNL to LAX: Red Eye Flight in Coach or First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Passport Diamond, UA Premier Plat, WN A-List

Looking to get feedback as to whether I should use 6 electronic upgrade certs for a return flight to LAX from Honolulu. Since it is a red-eye flight, is it worth it to upgrade? I have never flown a red-eye so I am not sure what it will feel like in terms of comfort and service.

Thanks in advance for thoughts/feedback.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This question is very hard to answer. Service will be very limited, and just be a fruit and cheese plate. It really depends on who you are. If I had a million 500 mile upgrades I would do it. If this was my last flight before the expiration of 500'ers I would do it. If I had six 500'ers and I had a PS flight next week I wouldn't. Seriously, we need more details!

Either way, there's more room than coach, so you can probably get better sleep!
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
It's a 757, so go for coach and get 9F (if traveling alone) or 9A/B/C (if traveling with a few people) and you'll have a wonderful flight. F on a 757 has nothing over those coach seats except the food and the booze, and on a red-eye, it shouldn't matter.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xj47
It's a 757, so go for coach and get 9F (if traveling alone) or 9A/B/C (if traveling with a few people) and you'll have a wonderful flight. F on a 757 has nothing over those coach seats except the food and the booze, and on a red-eye, it shouldn't matter.
That's assuming the OP has status, which isn't indicated in his/her profile.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
That's assuming the OP has status, which isn't indicated in his/her profile.
He's got 6x e500s (or someone in his party does)... so unless he's one of the microscopic few who buy those things, or he had status last year and they just haven't expired yet, he probably does. But you're right, of course. No guarantees.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:20 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I fly the LAX redeyes way to often, getting into LAX at stupid o'clock and then going straight to my office in East LA for a full day of work.

I posted this in another thread...

My personal preference on UA to Hawai`i is to always upgrade to F when I can on a 757 using miles or 500s, and using 500s on 777 and 767 day flights. I'm perfectly happy in E+ in the widebodies for the redeyes as I am going to sleep anyhow and can do without the fruit plate/snack. I will never turn down an op-up into F, though
There are often two redeyes; a 767 around 9 p.m. and a 757 at 10 p.m. I'll always chose the 767 over the 757.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
The only thing I'd add is that upgrading on a redeye depends a lot on how well you'd sleep in F. For some people, the small increment of extra comfort in F makes it possible to sleep; for others not. If you can, and there's a workday waiting at your destination, then it might be worth it. If not, they why bother?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:52 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
This question is very hard to answer. Service will be very limited, and just be a fruit and cheese plate. It really depends on who you are. If I had a million 500 mile upgrades I would do it. If this was my last flight before the expiration of 500'ers I would do it. If I had six 500'ers and I had a PS flight next week I wouldn't. Seriously, we need more details!

Either way, there's more room than coach, so you can probably get better sleep!
I agree with Lucky.

If you have them to burn, burn 'em.
Otherwise, there are better ways to use e-500s (like when you're awake and can enjoy the food & booze in F) .

The HNL-LAX run is ~5 hrs, so your sleep will be interrupted regardless (main reason why I prefer the red-eye to DEN; 7.5 hours to rest).

Plus it depends on your status (are you already in E+?) and yourself.
For example: I'm 5'6", so an E+ window seat suits me pretty well for a few hours slumber, and I'll save those e-500s for my return. ^

Aloha,
Ted
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Passport Diamond, UA Premier Plat, WN A-List
Info Update

Thanks for everyone's input...I am also sorry for the missing details of my flight and status.

I am Premier status...So E+ should be easy to get (I think). I would like to enjoy the service in F, but also realize now that it would be limited...Thus why I was wondering if it would be worth it or not. Three of the certs expire in October, and I have a tentative trip scheduled from SFO to BWI in a couple of weeks. However, I know that it can be difficult to upgrade out of SFO...So, I would hate to let them expire (although they were free).

I think I could be comfortable in E+...
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:10 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Sounds like you may have answered your own question.

Personally, I don't bother upgrading domestic redeyes. I'd rather save the e500s on flights with meal service.
Exit row seat, earplugs, carryon on the floor to prop my feet up. Goodnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.