Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

More SYD/MEL related delays/cancellation [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More SYD/MEL related delays/cancellation [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Wombat18
I don't get it. Competition is on the way (Virgin, Tiger, maybe Hawaiian), so why is UA running this service into the ground? Does anyone think they might be aiming to sell their gates and rely on NZ and SQ for *A Pacific routes?
Well, they have sacked all their Australian-based staff and closed the SYD res ctr. I wouldn't be surprised to see UA pull out of Australia, as they did with NZ.

They must be having real problems with their 747 fleet, as any half competent operation should be able to make money on the (protected) USA-Australia route.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:36 am

UA pulled out of NZ because they had an agreement that NZ would pull out of LAX-SYD and each would have their own route, rather than compete with each other. I doubt UA would pull out because they make a heck of alot of $$$ with cargo on the routes.

goodo
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:58 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
United will continue its SYD and MEL operations due to the high profitability of cargo. What needs to be considered is the acquisition of additional 747s, as they do not currently have back ups, and this causes problems during irregular operations.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 6:37 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Last 4 times I've flown 863 or 870, there has been a deep vibration/rattling on take off (complete with a couple things popping open in the cabin). Last two flights have been delayed for maintenance issues:

863 (Aug 25) - delayed for 3 hours because of a "cargo sensor" and "sat-nav unit" (the maintenance guy popped out the ceiling above my head and climbed up to replace the unit - got a good view of the space up there)

870 (Sep 04) - delayed for 2.5 hours because of a "mis-calibrated center of gravity" (computer did not agree with manual calculations). Later, I overheard a flight attendant saying it was a "cargo sensor" ??? .

I've flown about 7 SYD/SFO segments so far on UA (all within the last 12 months), but the aircraft seem to be getting worse. Is this normal for UA (was I just lucky the first few times)? I might try Virgin when they (hopefully) open up the pacific route at the end of next year.

I was also caught out by the M-H upgradeable booking classes (AU/US, with miles) on the last two segments (read the Region 1 classes by accident) .
Old Sep 10, 2007, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
Last 4 times I've flown 863 or 870, there has been a deep vibration/rattling on take off (complete with a couple things popping open in the cabin).
I am not sure this is indicative of anything wrong...
Old Sep 10, 2007, 6:44 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
I am not sure this is indicative of anything wrong...
I wasn't too worried about it. Maybe they are just loading a lot of cargo on the flights . It's the maintenance-related delays that are annoying.... oh and the Indian call centers and ".bomb".
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:28 pm

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
Originally Posted by nermaljcat
I wasn't too worried about it. Maybe they are just loading a lot of cargo on the flights .
150 tons of fuel might have something to do with it.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
United will continue its SYD and MEL operations due to the high profitability of cargo. What needs to be considered is the acquisition of additional 747s, as they do not currently have back ups, and this causes problems during irregular operations.
Is this also true for Qantas? I read that Qantas makes 20% of its profit on the transpacifc route, but assumed it was on passenger traffic.

Most of the UAL flights I have been on are pretty full. Given the high fares, I thought they would be making a decent profit on passengers too.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Grace B

Well, they have sacked all their Australian-based staff and closed the SYD res ctr. I wouldn't be surprised to see UA pull out of Australia, as they did with NZ.
Bingo.

Yes I wonder how many maintenance /tech folks went in the recent purge? Might be connected.

I could phone Manila and ask I guess, or email the '1K line' and never get a response.

Loads are still pretty good tho.

We fly in a couple weeks to SFO, and upstairs has EVERY seat allocated on dot.bomb, and first Biz cabin downstairs also 100% allocated and only a few other seats not taken - even now.

An upgrade on that one is going to be impossible methinks.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 7:45 pm

Syd-sfo

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Bingo.

Loads are still pretty good tho.

We fly in a couple weeks to SFO, and upstairs has EVERY seat allocated on dot.bomb, and first Biz cabin downstairs also 100% allocated and only a few other seats not taken - even now.

An upgrade on that one is going to be impossible methinks.
If the loads are so high an increase in service should be considered by UAL.(appreciating they are short of aeroplanes- perhaps they should be leasing a number of 747s- to ease the strain on their fleet) Would it be possible to re-start the 847/848 non-stop MEL-LAX?
Old Sep 13, 2007, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Platinum
Well, after reading all of these posts, I have to say that I am rethinking the routing of my first business trip to MEL. I wanted to just take 839 over, however given the UA track record with these flights, I may just go with NZ and deal with the layover.

I'll be on paid buisness class - I wouldn't get the 100% 1K bonus on the NZ legs, correct? Do you get class of service MP bonus miles on NZ segments?
Old Sep 14, 2007, 3:26 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Oh this thread is giving me chills Sometimes a little knowledge is not a good thing

I really hope UA get their 747 planes under control soon. It is not a fun route to go mx on as there is only 1 or 2 flights out per day, and you dont want things being broken on a 14 hr flight. I am on SYD-LAX end Sept also (still waiting to clear to C class ).

I was blissfully unware of all the issues on this route until I came on FT. However thanks to FT, I am taking printouts of seat maps, alt routes (not many to choose from SYD though) and my fav hotels so that I am well prepared should we go mx or whatever else could crop up......

Here's hoping it goes ok.

Wondering how Satbeach went - was your flt also delayed on Thursday??? Please come and report for us
Old Sep 14, 2007, 3:34 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1.78MM, AAdvantage, Skymiles
Originally Posted by HomeAgain
I'll be on paid buisness class - I wouldn't get the 100% 1K bonus on the NZ legs, correct? Do you get class of service MP bonus miles on NZ segments?
Right, you're not going to get the 100% RDM bonus on the NZ legs.

As for the COS bonus, this is the link:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1181,00.html

You'll get a 25% COS bonus, but the EQM is not as generous as UA where you would get 50% EQM COS bonus.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 4:26 am

Another SYD-SFO Cancelled

The dot bomb website says 870 SYD-SFO on Wed Sept 19 was cancelled and the re-scheduled flight 9804 for Sept 20 at 18.00 is listed as cancelled as well.
What is happening with these SYD flights?
Old Sep 20, 2007, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
It seems the 747/400's are falling apart from over use and poor maintenence.

I've been on a couple of 747 transpacs recently where the flights were more than 3 hours late departing. Mechanicals as I understand it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.