Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

More SYD/MEL related delays/cancellation [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More SYD/MEL related delays/cancellation [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 2P, IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Grace B I am sorry to hear of your story ex LAX SYD

Does this happen often to/from SYD?
It does seem to be happening with regularity- leaving from SFO this past March we were day late out due to a mechanical and returning to LAX three weeks later, we were a day late again due to a mechanical.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:03 am

From the posts on this topic it seems to be happening more frequently the last few months. I've flown SFO-SYD/MEL almost 10 times in the past five years, but not since 2006 - one flight cancellation ex-Sydney during all those trips, due to a ramp agent damaging a cargo door as he closed it. All passengers were put up for the night in various hotels and we left 24 hours later after a new door was flown in and installed. I'll take safety over inconvenience any day, although I was anxious to get home after a long business trip.

Last edited by iflyfish; Sep 6, 2007 at 2:53 pm
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:42 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by iflyfish
Fro the posts on this topic it seems tobe happening more frequently the last few months. I've flown SFO-SYD/MEL almost 10 times in the past five years, but not since 2006 - one flight cancellation ex-Sydney during all those trips, due to a ramp agent damaging a cargo door as he closed it. All passengers were put up for the night in various hotels and we left 24 hours later after a new door was flown in and installed. I'll take safety over inconvenience any day, although I was anxious to get home after a long business trip.
Agreed, however it sure can muck up all the prepaid travel plans

Out of interest, what hotels do they put you up in? Do you get a choice, ie if you are with SPG - you can choose Sheraton etc? Or is it cheap and nasty?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 2P, IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Agreed, however it sure can muck up all the prepaid travel plans

Out of interest, what hotels do they put you up in? Do you get a choice, ie if you are with SPG - you can choose Sheraton etc? Or is it cheap and nasty?
It seems to depend on your status- we were put up at the Hyatt in San Francisco and when I looked at the CSR's list, it said "First and Business Only" in big bold letters. However, upon our return we ended up at La Quinta in LAX after being told it would be the Westin- too many folks missing connections, we were told. So... in our experience, it's about 50/50-

Last edited by gregdane; Sep 6, 2007 at 3:05 pm Reason: Misspelling
Old Sep 6, 2007, 2:52 pm

We were put up at the Sydney Airport Stamford Plaza with meal vouchers, along with other First, Business, and 1k passengers. Others on coach went to a different hotel but I don't know which one.
Stamford was nice, I'd say 3.5-4*
Old Sep 6, 2007, 4:05 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
Sfo Syd

I am 3 for 3 this year SFO/SYD for both clearing upgrades to C and no delays in either direction, pretty much the same thing last year (maybe 4 for 4). I read these horror stories and cringe, knock on wood, then rebook again for my next business trip.

However, the quality and appearance of the interior on the upper deck has been growing abysmal; panels swinging from the walls in the head, etc.

I don't mean to complain, since they were upgraded seats. But I cannot imagine paying $6000 for that same seat though, the food has been marginal, the service the same, and the interior just pathetic. I think that has to wear down the FA crew, working in that kind of environment.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P, PC Platinum, HH Diamond
Last night's 839 was delayed until a ~2PM departure today due to aircraft servicing. I'm resigned to the likelihood I'll be delayed on Thursday when I take that flight.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:03 pm

Programs: United 2P, Westpac Altitude, Qantas
We always get some drama on this yearly run. I dread the trip. I too am eagerly awaiting competition on this route. I am right on the boarder of defecting with my extended family of paying customers. Hubby actually tried Air NZ recently on this run and was much happier although it is less convenient with the layover in Aukland, he was really pleased overall and much preferred Air NZ seats, service, etc despite that. Heck, we could add a couple days either way and make an extra litlle vacation in NZ. I keep thinking of that saying "When life gives you lemons make lemonade".

If any FT'ers are stuck in Sdney - I am here just pm me!

Last edited by ancienthills; Sep 9, 2007 at 6:08 pm
Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:13 pm

Programs: Lots
SYD-SFO has been cancelled today as well. UA's pacific ops are in complete shambles.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 8:51 pm

Programs: United 1P
Originally Posted by Axey
SYD-SFO has been cancelled today as well. UA's pacific ops are in complete shambles.
I don't get it. Competition is on the way (Virgin, Tiger, maybe Hawaiian), so why is UA running this service into the ground? Does anyone think they might be aiming to sell their gates and rely on NZ and SQ for *A Pacific routes?
Old Sep 9, 2007, 9:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Is UA putting any of these passengers on Qantas, or are they rebooking on the SYD-LAX UA flight, or rebooking tomorrow on UA metal?
Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:04 pm

Inbound 839 LAX-SYD showing a 9.55pm arrival in SYD tonight some 14 hours late.
With a 11pm curfew I doubt they could emply, unload, clean (LOL) load, re fuel and be out in an hour- I think it usually take 90 minutes to 2 hours to turn a 747 around
This would explain why 870 SYD-SFO is cnx Sept 10

840 SYD-LAX just flew the Sydney Harbour Bridge, close enough to being on time.

Last edited by Aspen; Sep 9, 2007 at 10:11 pm
Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Out of many SYD/SFO flights, the only problem I have had was last year when the plane struck a bird during takeoff, then aborted.

I am pretty satisfied with the C service and find the trips to be enjoyable. I appreciate good service and fine dining (e.g. Bouley in NYC) but I take the flights for what they are - flights. I enjoy the food, booze and don't need to be pandered to during the flight.

My worst experiences have been on Qantas/American. Whenever there is a problem, they blame the other airline and shrug responsibility.

I have experience with European carriers on transatlantic routes, and don't feel that I would choose them over United in a transpacific setting. I feel that United does a great job at getting you on the plane and where you want to go.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:23 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Originally Posted by winovin
Out of many SYD/SFO flights, the only problem I have had was last year when the plane struck a bird during takeoff, then aborted
I was on that May 14th flight (I assume it was the same one) but have also suffered a 4 hour delay out of SYD but all the rest have left pretty much on time. OTOH I find it's rare that the SFO-SYD flights leave on time due partly to the curfew but also mechanicals

Causes lots of disruption when cancellations occur

Jeff
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
jswong,

You remember the date better than I do!!

I understand the SFO/SYD delays, since flight conditions mean an earlier arrival than expected, which would be before the curfew - so they delay the flight. I have no problem with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.