Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

More SYD/MEL related delays/cancellation [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More SYD/MEL related delays/cancellation [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2007, 1:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by Grace B
They are just contractors hired locally by United. Not their fault.

If you have a problem (and I can understand it) take it up with United.
Oh I have many times, with little result.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 5:18 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by river_rower
Saw the SQ A380 land and takeoff while at SYD last week, they turned that thing in four hours! And it's all brand new and squeaky clean inside and out. UA runs the risk of losing PAX because of old equipment unreliability. I'm thinking Y on a new A380 may be preferable to C on an old creaky unreliable 744, at least until they remodel the equipment.
Just flew on the SQ A380 in Y on the UD ^. Yes its amazingly quiet, clean, new with fantastic Y seat options and IFE :-:. But I would still rather have an old C seat on UA SYD LAX any day over a Y seat (even on SQ). A Y seat is still a Y seat no matter what aircraft its on . For a 14 hr trip, the recline on a C seat beats out the Y seat anyday, IMHO.

Now the SQ C seat - well that is another story Absolutely HUGE seat width - WOW!
Old Dec 20, 2007, 12:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Well here we go again...the 12/19 lax-syd is delayed...they're looking for another plane for us...maybe United has another 747 sitting around LAX? They had us deboard and I'm in the LAX Int First Lounge...waiting to hear what they say. Who knows if I'll be leaving tonight or not

Update: 11:43 PST Now it says canceled on the website...but maybe that is what happens when there is an aircraft substitution

They just made an announcement....it included the word 'hotel vouchers'

Last edited by Renard; Dec 20, 2007 at 12:46 am
Old Dec 20, 2007, 1:00 am

Programs: Velocity Platinum, UA MM
Originally Posted by Renard
Well here we go again...the 12/19 lax-syd is delayed...they're looking for another plane for us...maybe United has another 747 sitting around LAX? They had us deboard and I'm in the LAX Int First Lounge...waiting to hear what they say. Who knows if I'll be leaving tonight or not

Update: 11:43 PST Now it says canceled on the website...but maybe that is what happens when there is an aircraft substitution

They just made an announcement....it included the word 'hotel vouchers'
Enjoy your lay-over at LAX
Old Dec 20, 2007, 1:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
It's a goner...we're here for the night. The IFL is handling things wonderfully!
Old Dec 20, 2007, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
And the knock on effect is Fri Dec 21 UA840 (SYD-LAX) has been cancelled.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:07 am

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
Booked on the flight -- on hold with UAL right now trying to re-book on QF as I have my grandmother's 85th! SFO is sold out....NZ is sold out...she says there are a couple of seats on QF. I need this flight for my 1K status though -- who do i contact at united so the miles can be credited for elite qualification?
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:38 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by GlobalSTL
Booked on the flight -- on hold with UAL right now trying to re-book on QF as I have my grandmother's 85th! SFO is sold out....NZ is sold out...she says there are a couple of seats on QF. I need this flight for my 1K status though -- who do i contact at united so the miles can be credited for elite qualification?
Call Mileage Plus. In most cases after your original departure date they'll take care of it right over the phone.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:46 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Isnt it time UA did something about this sorry state of affairs with the 747s

I wonder if anyone has done a spreadsheet on just how many times in the last 2 months - there has been a cancelled or severely delayed/rerouted aircraft on this route?? I dont know how they expect to hang on until late 2008 (supposedly when the upgraded 747s come on board) .

Good luck with the Grandma's 85th Birthday - I feel for you .
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:50 am

Oh boy. I roll the dice and do this in 6 days on crutches. This should be fun.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:00 am

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
Good news -- reprotected on QF.....thank you so much flyertalk for being on top of flight status -- being ahead of everyone else for re-booking made all the difference in the world. I feel sorry for all the folks who will have holiday plans impacted by this delay. It was only because of the regular nature of this thread that I though to check to ensure everything was looking good......all I can say is thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:49 am

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Isnt it time UA did something about this sorry state of affairs with the 747s
I do not disagree with that - some of those old girls are really showing their wear and tear.
But I think that not all of these problems can be 100% blamed on equipment and maintenance. The pilots, as part of their never-ending labor/union "jockeying for position," are starting this fun new thing where they will refuse to accept an aircraft with ANY maintenance write ups, minor, non-critical or otherwise. The same rash of mechanical cancellations has been happening with SFO-HNL in recent weeks as well. (wow, 2 of UA's biggest moneymakers...what a co-inky-dink.)
I have heard this from two separate UA employees whom I trust, they are well positioned at SFO and have little reason to spread rumors.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
This thread definitely scares the snot out of me. I am flying ORD-LAX-SYD on 1/1, on an SWU-upgraded ticket to business. If a delay happens, it happens (I have assumed a one-day delay each way when planning the trip), but an outright cancellation is going to wreck havoc with my upgrade. And 7000 miles in Y on another carrier is going to ruin my vacation before it even starts.

And "a couple of seats on QF" means "middle seat" which is just not going to happen.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by simong
And the knock on effect is Fri Dec 21 UA840 (SYD-LAX) has been cancelled.
Two 747 cancellations (on the only departure of the day) is going to create a nightmare for people travelling over the holidays, not to mention planes packed even tighter (if that's possible )

How far in advance was that done?

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
This thread definitely scares the snot out of me.
Me too! We leave Saturday night.

I've been following #863 all week and the flight has been consistently departing 30min late (typical per flightstats).
Old Dec 20, 2007, 10:36 am

It "appears" on KVS that they are sending a third 747 to syd tonight 12/20 from LAX. Flight 9798. If this is indeed the case, this should ease the situation...certainly it will remain a big inconvenience

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.