Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Master "Youngest MP Elite Member" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Master "Youngest MP Elite Member" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond
I first made 1K just a little short of my 26th birthday. I can't say it ever turned any heads, but I flew HNL-SFO so often the gate atttendants recognized me...
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Premier, NW Silver, Official Gopher Hater
I'm 22 and I made Premier for the first time a couple days ago coming back from Stockholm. I was originally figuring that I would have to qualify on segments, but the trip to Scandinavia put me over 25K so far this year. In fact, I was shocked when I checked online and I had over 26,--- miles. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the miles and was more preoccupied with building segments . So here's to my first elite membership ^ .

As for alcohol, I don't look a day over 18 or 19, and I've never been asked or questioned about my age on United when ordering. In fact, when I got rerouted in F two weeks ago from YYC-ORD the flight attendants couldn't seem to give me enough drinks.

Last edited by jcs17; Mar 24, 2005 at 11:50 am
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:51 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I was on a flight with a 10-year-old 1P before; I believe her parents were divorced, so it was like the 1K a previous poster mentioned, and she did a lot of hops to visit the two (hers were ORD-DTW and back, though)

I am just now reaching the point that I no longer get carded each and every time I try to buy alcohol (29, and 29 for 11 more years ), but I've never been asked for ID on a plane before even though I still look younger than I am. Maybe I'll make 1K this year (definitely 1K-Lite if UA offers similar promos again), but I certainly won't be the youngest by far.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 1:02 pm
CMV

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Gold, UA Gold
Ms. CMV-to-be, who is barely 21, has been IDed on US, both mainline and the Shuttle, but never on UA.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
One of my co-workers (who is 25 and an AA EXP) was traveling with her cousin (who is 17) and got asked if she was old enough to sit in the exit row. The FA asked to see her ID... her ID! FA didn't even say anything to the younger cousin. But that's AA... clearly they didn't know why she flies.

1Konsultant
Old Mar 24, 2005, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA GS
My kids just qualified for 2p

My kids might are on their way to 1P. They just qualified for 2p and they were 2p last year and we decided that they are going to start flying with my wife and I when we travel Asia. They are 8 and 10. Based on our travels they might be able to hit 1k this year.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Sigh. I have never, ever been asked for ID in relation to in-flight alcohol acquisition. On the other hand, I started drinking in bars at 16 and didn't get carded until I was 22. Maybe it's all due to my je-ne-sais-quoi air of maturity and nobility.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
My daughter's UA status by age:

Age 1: 2P
Age 2: 1P
Age 3: 1P
Age 4: 1P
Age 5: 2P

She could have 1K when she was 3 and 4 if not for all those awards tickets I redeemed for her.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 4:36 am

Programs: UA Silver
I'm not sure the purpose of this discussion, anyhow it seems to me that there are many lucky young elite members. I would say that being both young(minor) and 1K is not something to be pround of because perhaps they(most) fly by their parents' money.

I wonder how many minors(young) make their elite status by making money on their own. I assume that they are just lucky to meet wealthy parents and to be born in the country of freedom.

Since the U.S. is the third biggest country in the world, often many minors get chances to fly frequently. So there should be some teens who fly more than me. However I wonder how many teens outside the U.S. who fly more than me.

IMHO, those young people who are both 1K and American are lucky, although it looks like some are not because of having divorced parents.

Myself, who is 1P and 18 years old, is satisfied with my status. I know there are many teens who fly more than me, but being 1P is not bad at all. I just feel bad for not being an American. I wish I were both 1K and American.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Thats the attitude!!!
Old Mar 25, 2005, 8:35 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
w.r.t alcohol,

Most recently on UA TPE-NRTin C, when I asked for champagne the Asian FA said yes, then hesitated, and asked just a little nervously "You are twenty years old, right?"

Because she asked "twenty" and not "twenty-one," I was able to honestly answer yes. She did not ask for ID.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Wiggums
I once sat next to a well-behaved 12 year old who was a 1K on a LAX-JFK flight. As it is with most flights I take, I walk through the galley to look for the passenger manifest. I was surprised to see that this kid was a 1K. It took me a while to muster the courage to ask a F/A about it since I was worried they might scold me for looking at the manifest which is publicly displayed but, er, "confidential."

The F/A explained that his parents were divorced so he has to fly every week back and forth in PAID "F" class!
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I read this and had to ask -- why do you try to sneak a read through the passenger manifest? Are you looking for someone/something? Marital status of the attractive person in 2C? What sort of information does the manifest contain?

Just curious.

Hoya
Old Mar 25, 2005, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Hoya Saxa
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I read this and had to ask -- why do you try to sneak a read through the passenger manifest? Are you looking for someone/something? Marital status of the attractive person in 2C? What sort of information does the manifest contain?

Just curious.

Hoya
The manifest does not show marital status. It only shows name and MP status. A lot of FTers like to have a peek at the manifest to see the MP status of the other people in F. How many UGS MMers ect.

Last edited by IK in Seattle; Mar 25, 2005 at 2:28 pm
Old Mar 25, 2005, 3:47 pm

eek

Originally Posted by IK in Seattle
The manifest does not show marital status. It only shows name and MP status. A lot of FTers like to have a peek at the manifest to see the MP status of the other people in F. How many UGS MMers ect.
Wow, that seems so.....petty
Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
I also like to sneak a look at the manifest so that I know how special I really am. What I can say is that there seem to be far more highers status pax than last year on your average flight.

I'd like to know if there are any young MMers or UGS....You can't get there by doing a few MRs, so would be indicative of some REAL travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.