Fares on Virgin America

Old Jul 19, 07, 10:41 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
When UA decides to match VX's *first class* fares LAX or SFO -JFK, then I'll get a little excited.

I'm guessing UA will match in C, if anything. that'd still be about a $700 fare cut if they do - for Z.
Old Jul 19, 07, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pallensf View Post
I must not be lucky today...I cannot find any fares on UA that are matching those of Virgin.
I can't either - I can only find much lower fares on UA. UA's round-trip fare is equal to VX's one-way.

The SFO-IAD fares don't kick in until 26 September. SFO-JFK is available from 10 August on. LAX-JFK is 29 August. LAX-IAD 24 October. SFO-LAX 09 August.
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by FlyingBear View Post
Which dates are inputting?

October 12th thru the 14th....SFO-LAX....nada...
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:24 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I'm guessing UA will match in C, if anything. that'd still be about a $700 fare cut if they do - for Z.
To be fair, UA C on the PS flights is comparable to VX F - which is a 55-inch pitch recliner product, not a full flat bed like UA PS F.
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DreamlinerI View Post
.......UA just lost a leagl fight with the City of Los Angeles and they also lost Terminal 6. UA will be in Terminal 7 and 8 and most UX flights will be moving from Terminal 8 to the remote terminal in the fall.
Source?
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Got $65.20 RT X two midweek in August. Sweet. Curious if this was deliberate or a fare input error that goes away tomorrow.
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:54 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Though no information about how many points it will take, other than "at least 4900".
eleVAte sounds very much like Virgin Blue's Velocity rewards.

In which case award cost is variable (linked to the available paid fares).
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:58 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by spikerjack View Post
--------------------------------------
From Virgin America E-Ticket Receipt....(between SFO-JFK)
--------------------------------------
SFO-JFK

This fare is non-refundable.
This is the bit that is holding me back from making several bookings, for now at least. I'd only be using VX connecting to or from other airline's flights. Until I see how reliable the schedule is and their on time performance, it is too much of a gamble in my situation (live nowhere near any city served by VX).

I've commented some more on my blog (link in signature).
Old Jul 20, 07, 12:17 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pallensf View Post
October 12th thru the 14th....SFO-LAX....nada...
Check .bomb again. I know when I bought my flight, it had just been entered into the system and acted twitchy about it. Looking at the site now though, I see $65 availability all around that weekend.
Old Jul 20, 07, 1:25 am

Programs: The opinions expressed may not reflect the airlines I work for. However, they may make you smile!
Amazing! $64.80 roundtrip from SFO-LAX all inclusive! VX's $88 fare becomes $105 roundtrip after taxes.

The $64.80 L-fare is not valid during part of "commute" hours where business travellers are most likely to go, but plenty of mid-day and late night choices, even on a Friday night. Plus on UA you can always try revenue standby for an earlier flight.

Looks like a true fare war and UA is not kidding about holding on to their SFO-LAX dominance! I haven't seen fares this low since October/November of 2001 after 9/11.
Old Jul 20, 07, 2:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Looking at united.com, I was able to find SFO-IAD nonstops for $149.80 round-trip all-in through at least mid-November. YIKES! Those are crazy prices. At those prices, I might even consider just taking few a weekend trips to visit the folks... though it'll take me 3 trips just to even get close to 2P, so that's probably not worth it.

I know my folks will love it, though, since they can come see ME and only a couple of trips might even push my mother to 1K this year (she's had an unusual amount of int'l travel).

Woweeeeeee, those fares are nuts! If only I had actual time to fly enough transcons to make it to 1P... I'm so excited and yet so disappointed.
Old Jul 20, 07, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by John26 View Post
I haven't seen fares this low since October/November of 2001 after 9/11.
And what happened to UA finances then?

v
v
v
Chapter 11

At least they are trying to fight the 'bearded one'.

Maybe UA want to sell all their flights out now, so if by chance VX cannot operate, then UA will be sold out and VX won't be able to transfer passengers to them, and VX will have to cough up 200% refunds to all it's customers and go bust
Old Jul 20, 07, 4:03 am

Programs: UA and AS
I'm sold - jumped in to VA IAD-SFO F

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I can't either - I can only find much lower fares on UA. UA's round-trip fare is equal to VX's one-way.

The SFO-IAD fares don't kick in until 26 September. SFO-JFK is available from 10 August on. LAX-JFK is 29 August. LAX-IAD 24 October. SFO-LAX 09 August.
Ok, so I'm a sucker for new, or is it fed up with old...

Just purchased IAD-SFO R/T in F on VA (gotta watch those Us and Vs now).

$858.80 all in for 26 Sep. Non-refundable, but F can make changes for free.

Since I fly IAD-SFO and upgrade to "C" using CR-1 or 500 milers (poor success rate last 2 years) from $500-700 fares I'll look to see what I get for the extra $150-250 spent.

Service will be counted as part of the value equation as will the fact that I have NO status on Virgin vs. 1K on UA.

-Cyborg
Old Jul 20, 07, 6:16 am

I hope this UA response to VX was a mistakenly filed fare. (A one way filed as a roundtrip) because if UA feels that need to significantly undercut VX to remain competitive it could result in some severely diminshed yield in UA's home markets which would be very unhealthy for them.
Old Jul 20, 07, 7:36 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
I'm wondering many things.

-How deep are Virgin's pockets? How much can they afford to lose before moving markets? How long can UA compete before they need to retreat?

-Will passengers chose VX over UA based upon their inflight product, everything else being equal?

-How long will VX fly before people fall in love with them (like they did with B6) and it becomes a cult?

-Will people fly VX thinking they are operationally connected to VA and/or will those folks end up angry and bitter?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: