Fares on Virgin America

Old Jul 19, 07, 2:29 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by DreamlinerI View Post
I found it interesting that they are operating out of Terminal 6 at LAX ... I thought that was all UA

UA just lost a leagl fight with the City of Los Angeles and they also lost Terminal 6. UA will be in Terminal 7 and 8 and most UX flights will be moving from Terminal 8 to the remote terminal in the fall.
so "most ux flights" can still leave hope that at least the arhg-j's will still a 'n d from t-8
Old Jul 19, 07, 3:07 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Given all the service cutbacks on UA over the years, the sad part is that VX doesn't even have to try that hard to really run circles around UA at this point. Heck, it was just nice to call a phone number and get a US-based phone rep without having to have 1K status to get it (most of the time).

I think it's neat that there's finally a new carrier that's focused on a premium cabin product for a change. For years now it's been just focused on coach, WN, B6, etc. First class customers want live TV too!

- T
Old Jul 19, 07, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by AmTaste View Post
I'm sure the competitve envvironment will keep fares reasonable until VA gains traction. Wait until they formalize frequent flyer program and then fewer seats upfront for miles and more availability for paying customers.
Huh? The eleVAte program allows you to redeem for any seat on the plane. No black outs and no capacity restrictions...
Old Jul 19, 07, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Hmm... given that my flying is primarily SFO/OAK-WAS, I'm wondering whether this will eat into my UA loyalty. Such loyalty hasn't really earned me anything since I don't fly often enough to even get to 2P, so it might not hurt that much to switch, except for the loss of E+ (which, for the only-semi-frequent flyer like me, is pretty much the only perk, albeit a good one). Here's hoping for some rate drops come the winter holidays...
Old Jul 19, 07, 6:13 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by cepheid View Post
Hmm... given that my flying is primarily SFO/OAK-WAS, I'm wondering whether this will eat into my UA loyalty. Such loyalty hasn't really earned me anything since I don't fly often enough to even get to 2P, so it might not hurt that much to switch, except for the loss of E+ (which, for the only-semi-frequent flyer like me, is pretty much the only perk, albeit a good one). Here's hoping for some rate drops come the winter holidays...
If the fares on VX are at least $25 cheaper than UA, you can reserve an exit row on VX at the time of booking and essentially get E+ legroom.
Old Jul 19, 07, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
A colleague at work was telling me they begin service soon. Went to the site to see the fares and was stunned at the prices. I'm really tempted to book a IAD-SFO-IAD one way in F and the other in Y just to try out both cabins!
Old Jul 19, 07, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: NW Plat, UA 2P, DL FO, HH Silver, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by emma dog View Post
Wish they did some FL flying. Maybe doing some underserved market like TPA-SFO and TPA-LAX.
TPA-LAX isn't underserved. DL does it twice a day using 737-800. I recall back in the day they used 757's (not that long ago), and way back when they used a 767-300 on the route. The demand isn't what it once was. UA used to do TPA-LAX with a A320 but that is long gone.
Old Jul 19, 07, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
If the fares on VX are at least $25 cheaper than UA, you can reserve an exit row on VX at the time of booking and essentially get E+ legroom.
Well yes, but there's no reason to go to VX if I'm only breaking even, since the BISM I earn on UA have some value in the long-run and there's always a remote possibility I might end up flying more, hence having an early start on the EQM is also good. VX would need to be significantly cheaper (say $50 or $100 net) to get me to switch.
Old Jul 19, 07, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by qasr View Post
The eleVAte program allows you to redeem for any seat on the plane. No black outs and no capacity restrictions...
Though no information about how many points it will take, other than "at least 4900".
Old Jul 19, 07, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Big Drop in BWI-SFO fare yesterday, may be related

I was happy to see a Farecompare alert yesterday that the price for BWI-SFO RT, AI was $230. I have been watching the prices for a planned trip and they had been around $400. I didnt have to think twice, booked right away.
Old Jul 19, 07, 7:03 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Just out of curiosity, does VX's FFP have any connection with VS at all? I mean, can one earn miles with VX's FFP on VS metal and vice versa?

LAX
Old Jul 19, 07, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LAX View Post
does VX's FFP have any connection with VS at all?
No, they are totally independent.
Old Jul 19, 07, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Not quite. From the VX website:

"Virgin America and our partners will offer some extraordinary eleVAte opportunities. As in concerts…parties…special events…dream trips…space travel (no, we’re not exaggerating)."

One can only presume that Virgin Galactic (or whatever that is called) will be an award.
Old Jul 19, 07, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by LAX View Post
Just out of curiosity, does VX's FFP have any connection with VS at all? I mean, can one earn miles with VX's FFP on VS metal and vice versa?

LAX
Other than 5 points a dollar spent and no blackouts, it seems like their program is being defined as we speak in terms of awards, rules, etc. Should be interesting to see what they come up with.
Old Jul 19, 07, 7:56 pm

UA just fired a major blow at VX. Fares ex-WAS of 150 all in on Farecompare to LAX and SFO for fall travel. I haven't checked but I would expect similar ones ex-NYC. Should be an interesting fare war.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: