Fares on Virgin America

Old Jul 19, 07, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DreamlinerI View Post
I found it interesting that they are operating out of Terminal 6 at LAX ... I thought that was all UA

UA just lost a leagl fight with the City of Los Angeles and they also lost Terminal 6. UA will be in Terminal 7 and 8 and most UX flights will be moving from Terminal 8 to the remote terminal in the fall.
Is this recent news? I know there was the "threat" of UX going to a remote location, but it wasn't yet confirmed...
Old Jul 19, 07, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA - LFT GLD 1MM, UA - 2P, SPG - LFT Plat, Hyatt - Plat, HH - Gold, Avis - CHM
Originally Posted by DreamlinerI View Post
I found it interesting that they are operating out of Terminal 6 at LAX ... I thought that was all UA

UA just lost a leagl fight with the City of Los Angeles and they also lost Terminal 6. UA will be in Terminal 7 and 8 and most UX flights will be moving from Terminal 8 to the remote terminal in the fall.
that might expalin why my 737 flght on monday landed at t8...was very surprised at that.
Old Jul 19, 07, 1:01 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by im_blue View Post
Well VX is starting up service at SFO
Not too far from ground zero of the Web 2.0 Kool Aid.

Originally Posted by gre View Post
The IAD-SFO $139 each way fare is through November only; it appears to to jump to $169 in December.
RT after that is ~$360 all in.
Let's see: VX introduces itself, charges cut-rate fares to attract pax and then, like UA, realizes they need to pay the bills.

Originally Posted by oswaldjacoby View Post
It will be of course devastating to UAL. They will have no choice. They either bring down their fares or lose much of their business. Either way, the UAL revenue loss will be massive.
In the long-term, VX can non sustain these cut-rate introductory fares. You're fooling yourself if you think VX will continue to charge these introductory fares and be able to survive in the long run.

Originally Posted by haddon90 View Post
$360 from IAD-SFO isn't that bad. it's what, in the $500s right now? this could really make things interesting.
If "right now" refers to the summer season, do realize that fares during summer are inflated over what they would be in the less travel heavy month of October.

What's VX charging for flights next June? What's UA charging?

Originally Posted by SFO 1K View Post
The VX entertainment system doesn't rely on satellites. The entire system runs on a linux server in the belly of the aircraft. There's a really cool YouTube video about it.
Originally Posted by SFO 1K View Post
As an aside, either VX sorely underprovisioned their web servers or thousands of curious FTers are visiting their site. It's been slow or crashed on me for the past hour. Dot.bomb anyone?
Maybe VX can configure a Linux Beowulf cluster to address the problem, using all those unused Linux servers sitting in the belly of their currently unused aircraft. ^

Originally Posted by GoingAway View Post
I found it interesting that they are operating out of Terminal 6 at LAX
Shame on VX for not operating out of the same terminal that VS is! Shame on VS!
Old Jul 19, 07, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by pallensf View Post
the site must be innundated now...

Cannot even load the website...;0
Yup.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Our web site will be back up shortly. In the meantime, please call 1.877.FLY.VIRGIN, 5 AM - 9 PM (Pacific Time), and one of our Guest Services agents will be glad to assist you
Wonder where in the world those Guest Services agents are?
Old Jul 19, 07, 1:11 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by AdamUK View Post
Yup.

Wonder where in the world those Guest Services agents are?
Hounslow?
Old Jul 19, 07, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_Runner View Post
Hounslow?
Ahhh, touché ... the accent isn't that bad
Old Jul 19, 07, 1:26 pm

Programs: UAL Plat, 2+MM, AA Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat
I have attempted to purchase a FC tix for mid-Sept (SFO-JFK) about 15-20 times since seeing the announcement of VA's go-live and have personally experienced the terrible web capacity planning they did..... Various loading problems, certificate errors, total site down issues throughout.

Still....for $798 to get paid transcon FC with their IFE is worth the experiment....

I have gotten to the "confirm purchase" button twice. Both times it said "processing" and then dumped me out to the main page - no email confirmation, seat assignment, nothing. No charge to my credit card.

I would love to hear if anybody actually COMPLETES a ticket purchase today. I haven't seen any evidence myself yet.

I am about to give up trying....

--Scott
Old Jul 19, 07, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by spikerjack View Post
I have attempted to purchase a FC tix for mid-Sept (SFO-JFK) about 15-20 times since seeing the announcement of VA's go-live and have personally experienced the terrible web capacity planning they did..... Various loading problems, certificate errors, total site down issues throughout.

Still....for $798 to get paid transcon FC with their IFE is worth the experiment....

I have gotten to the "confirm purchase" button twice. Both times it said "processing" and then dumped me out to the main page - no email confirmation, seat assignment, nothing. No charge to my credit card.

I would love to hear if anybody actually COMPLETES a ticket purchase today. I haven't seen any evidence myself yet.

--Scott
Remember the day when the "new" united.bomb was launched? Let's face it, half of the US are trying to look at the website, most trying to snatch those early deals, I wouldn't bother with it until tomorrow at the earliest... or you could call their reservations number and see if it beats India.
Old Jul 19, 07, 1:34 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by spikerjack View Post

--Scott
I did... just call them! 1-877 FLY-VIRGIN (877 359-8474) They'll waive the $5 phone reservation fee if you mention that you were unable to book via the web. It's much easier that way.

BTW, in case you're worried that they can't actually fly yet... here's the deal re: refunds if they can't fly by the time your flight rolls around -

"Virgin America does not currently have authority from the Department of Transportation to operate the services for which your ticket is being issued. You may, upon request, cancel your ticket and obtain a full refund at any time before we start operations. If we have not started operations by the date of your ticketed travel, we will make reasonable efforts to arrange substitute air transportation for you, at a cost of up to 200% of your Virgin America ticket. If we cannot arrange substitute transportation for you, we will refund to you 200% of the price paid for your Virgin America ticket."

- T
Old Jul 19, 07, 1:37 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Gold, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I did... just call them! 1-877 FLY-VIRGIN (877 359-8474) They'll waive the $5 phone reservation fee if you mention that you were unable to book via the web. It's much easier that way.

BTW, in case you're worried that they can't actually fly yet... here's the deal re: refunds if they can't fly by the time your flight rolls around -

"Virgin America does not currently have authority from the Department of Transportation to operate the services for which your ticket is being issued. You may, upon request, cancel your ticket and obtain a full refund at any time before we start operations. If we have not started operations by the date of your ticketed travel, we will make reasonable efforts to arrange substitute air transportation for you, at a cost of up to 200% of your Virgin America ticket. If we cannot arrange substitute transportation for you, we will refund to you 200% of the price paid for your Virgin America ticket."

- T
Wow, that might be worth buying a ticket just in the hopes that they aren't able to fly. You could double your money!
Old Jul 19, 07, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AdamUK View Post
Remember the day when the "new" united.bomb was launched? Let's face it, half of the US are trying to look at the website, most trying to snatch those early deals, I wouldn't bother with it until tomorrow at the earliest... or you could call their reservations number and see if it beats India.
Really? Half of the US? Well I'm not. I wonder who is neutralizing me somewhere in Fayetsville right now by peeking...

Also I wonder why FTers would swarm this when UA MP is just so dreamy...
Old Jul 19, 07, 1:40 pm

Programs: UAL 1K
I'm sure the competitve envvironment will keep fares reasonable until VA gains traction. Wait until they formalize frequent flyer program and then fewer seats upfront for miles and more availability for paying customers.
Old Jul 19, 07, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
Really? Half of the US? Well I'm not. I wonder who is neutralizing me somewhere in Fayetsville right now by peeking...

Also I wonder why FTers would swarm this when UA MP is just so dreamy...
Maybe not half of the US, but let's face it, UA wouldn't do any better would they?
Old Jul 19, 07, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G MM, HH Dia, Hyatt Expl, MR Gold, IHG Plat
Hmmm, no one's mentioned FAs yet. I'd guess that VX's FAs will absolutely blow away UA's eccentric, unattractive corps that often can't be bothered applying makeup (OK a generalization, but they're SO tired, starting with the BOOOORING uniform).

Perhaps flying can get a life again.
Old Jul 19, 07, 2:07 pm

So for IFE...

The Satellite TV is free
Movies cost extra (PPV)

What about internet? Is it free or pay for use?

It kinda sucks that exit row and bulkhead seats are $25 extra. I guess I've been spoiled by UA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: