Fares on Virgin America

Old Jul 19, 07, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC View Post
Starting?

This looks like an excellent product, poised to give UA a nice whipping on ps. When do LAX flights start? Will they use a GDS? Will F get lounge access?
It's not clear whether this is the full fare F or a discount fare. I just plugged in a weekend trip for the end of September and this is what came back for F. The website is running so slow right now that it's pretty much impossible to tell whether this is a discount fare or full fare.

Still, it's a fantastic price for what looks like the one of the best domestic F seats in the US.
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:20 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Hey, if everyone here moves over to VX maybe a transcon upgrade using 500-milers will finally clear for me for the first time ever!
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
You're right. VX F is about $3000 cheaper round-trip with better IFE. $3,000 is a lot to spend for a lie-flat seat.

Who knows what the soft product will be like but it's not going to be very hard to trump UA with food/wine.
Definitely not worth $3,000 for an angled space bed on a 4-6 hour flight, particularly for a daytime flight.
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:26 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
The ethernet port at seat...is that for customer use, or is that the IFE connection to their linux servers?
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:28 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by fastair View Post
The ethernet port at seat...is that for customer use, or is that the IFE connection to their linux servers?
It's for (eventual) onboard internet access.
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:31 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by rjque View Post
It's not clear whether this is the full fare F or a discount fare. I just plugged in a weekend trip for the end of September and this is what came back for F. The website is running so slow right now that it's pretty much impossible to tell whether this is a discount fare or full fare.

Still, it's a fantastic price for what looks like the one of the best domestic F seats in the US.
Actually, it is clear. It's $1398 for the roundtrip JFK-SFO J fare, according to EF. Pretty damn cheap. But the seat seems inferior to UA C, not even close to UA F.
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I was surprised to see one of their birds at SFO Saturday parked in the area the UA maintenance hanger - when do they commence service?

edit: I see it in post 3 now.
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:39 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
the site must be innundated now...

Cannot even load the website...;0
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 2p
You guys think 32" is appalling? At least their standard Y pitch beats UA's on most planes. Maybe VS will implement an E+ config after they settle in (and acquire UA's fleet!)
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I found it interesting that they are operating out of Terminal 6 at LAX ... I thought that was all UA
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, BD Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFO 1K View Post
The VX entertainment system doesn't rely on satellites. The entire system runs on a linux server in the belly of the aircraft. There's a really cool YouTube video about it.
Cool clip! I like Virgin...(VS, VX...)
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:50 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by GoingAway View Post
I found it interesting that they are operating out of Terminal 6 at LAX ... I thought that was all UA
t-7/8 are all ua and iirc, t-6 at lax is co & dl in the front and ua at the end/rotunda
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
t-7/8 are all ua and iirc, t-6 at lax is co & dl in the front and ua at the end/rotunda
had my #s mixed up ... thanks. I hate that gate area for UA for so many reasons.
Old Jul 19, 07, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SFO 1K View Post
The VX entertainment system doesn't rely on satellites. The entire system runs on a linux server in the belly of the aircraft. There's a really cool YouTube video about it.
I was comparing the prospective internet access to a service which already existed on their a/c. They have internet in the belly of the plane?

IOW, prospective internet will be subject to the same "issues" as we experienced in Oz. Still want it though.

Pat
Old Jul 19, 07, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
I was surprised to see one of their birds at SFO Saturday parked in the area the UA maintenance hanger
They've had planes parked over there for a while now...at least 6 months, I'd say.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: