FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Fares on Virgin America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/715907-fares-virgin-america.html)

rjque Jul 19, 2007 10:19 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC (Post 8084101)
Starting?

This looks like an excellent product, poised to give UA a nice whipping on ps. When do LAX flights start? Will they use a GDS? Will F get lounge access?

It's not clear whether this is the full fare F or a discount fare. I just plugged in a weekend trip for the end of September and this is what came back for F. The website is running so slow right now that it's pretty much impossible to tell whether this is a discount fare or full fare.

Still, it's a fantastic price for what looks like the one of the best domestic F seats in the US.

gre Jul 19, 2007 10:20 am

Hey, if everyone here moves over to VX maybe a transcon upgrade using 500-milers will finally clear for me for the first time ever!

rjque Jul 19, 2007 10:22 am

Originally Posted by TonySCV (Post 8084192)
You're right. VX F is about $3000 cheaper round-trip with better IFE. $3,000 is a lot to spend for a lie-flat seat.

Who knows what the soft product will be like but it's not going to be very hard to trump UA with food/wine.

Definitely not worth $3,000 for an angled space bed on a 4-6 hour flight, particularly for a daytime flight.

fastair Jul 19, 2007 10:26 am

The ethernet port at seat...is that for customer use, or is that the IFE connection to their linux servers?

TonySCV Jul 19, 2007 10:28 am

Originally Posted by fastair (Post 8084309)
The ethernet port at seat...is that for customer use, or is that the IFE connection to their linux servers?

It's for (eventual) onboard internet access.

stevenshev Jul 19, 2007 10:31 am

Originally Posted by rjque (Post 8084274)
It's not clear whether this is the full fare F or a discount fare. I just plugged in a weekend trip for the end of September and this is what came back for F. The website is running so slow right now that it's pretty much impossible to tell whether this is a discount fare or full fare.

Still, it's a fantastic price for what looks like the one of the best domestic F seats in the US.

Actually, it is clear. It's $1398 for the roundtrip JFK-SFO J fare, according to EF. Pretty damn cheap. But the seat seems inferior to UA C, not even close to UA F.

uastarflyer Jul 19, 2007 10:36 am

I was surprised to see one of their birds at SFO Saturday parked in the area the UA maintenance hanger - when do they commence service?

edit: I see it in post 3 now.

pallensf Jul 19, 2007 10:39 am

the site must be innundated now...:(

Cannot even load the website...;0

jerriblank55 Jul 19, 2007 10:41 am

You guys think 32" is appalling? At least their standard Y pitch beats UA's on most planes. Maybe VS will implement an E+ config after they settle in (and acquire UA's fleet!)

GoingAway Jul 19, 2007 10:45 am

I found it interesting that they are operating out of Terminal 6 at LAX ... I thought that was all UA

sdflyer1976 Jul 19, 2007 10:48 am

Originally Posted by SFO 1K (Post 8084270)
The VX entertainment system doesn't rely on satellites. The entire system runs on a linux server in the belly of the aircraft. There's a really cool YouTube video about it.

Cool clip! I like Virgin...(VS, VX...)

goalie Jul 19, 2007 10:50 am

Originally Posted by GoingAway (Post 8084441)
I found it interesting that they are operating out of Terminal 6 at LAX ... I thought that was all UA

t-7/8 are all ua and iirc, t-6 at lax is co & dl in the front and ua at the end/rotunda

GoingAway Jul 19, 2007 10:59 am

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 8084467)
t-7/8 are all ua and iirc, t-6 at lax is co & dl in the front and ua at the end/rotunda

had my #s mixed up ... thanks. I hate that gate area for UA for so many reasons.

camachinist Jul 19, 2007 11:20 am

Originally Posted by SFO 1K (Post 8084270)
The VX entertainment system doesn't rely on satellites. The entire system runs on a linux server in the belly of the aircraft. There's a really cool YouTube video about it.

I was comparing the prospective internet access to a service which already existed on their a/c. They have internet in the belly of the plane? ;) :D

IOW, prospective internet will be subject to the same "issues" as we experienced in Oz. Still want it though. :)

Pat

DreamlinerI Jul 19, 2007 11:32 am

UA just lost a leagl fight with the City of Los Angeles and they also lost Terminal 6. UA will be in Terminal 7 and 8 and most UX flights will be moving from Terminal 8 to the remote terminal in the fall.