Fares on Virgin America

Old Jul 19, 07, 9:28 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Wish they did some FL flying. Maybe doing some underserved market like TPA-SFO and TPA-LAX.
Old Jul 19, 07, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Ok, the VX FF program is called eleVAte. And it's revenue based, not mileage based. 5 points per dollar spent. So.... from a UA perspective, do we think future M+ changes where fare has more leverage toward EQMs and status will happen? And I'm talking beyond the F/C/Y modifiers of today. An S fare earning less EQM than a Q fare which in turn earns less than an E/U/M fare.

Also, does this plus the SWA competition mean we might finally see SFYMTWTU?
Old Jul 19, 07, 9:48 am

Hopefully UA matches some of these fares! (specifically the first fares) I know, I know...I'll keep dreaming.
Old Jul 19, 07, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm glad the mods are letting this thread remain in the UA forum, since the VX competition is head to head with UA on many routes.

Being based out of ORD, this doesn't impact my flight plans much at the moment, but if VX builds up a decent route structure in the states that includes ORD I might give them a try for awhile. The combination of a low cost domestic system with flights to LHR (which is a common destination) opens up possibilities for me.

I agree that this could very well hurt UA badly, although E+ might just be enough to keep me where I am.
Old Jul 19, 07, 9:56 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
It is clear that Virgin is going after United bread and butter routes. Everyone of their announced routes is a United standard. Their IFE system is about five generations ahead of United's.

Add to this mix JetBlue, and American's announced improvements and United must do something! And quick!!!

No money, no new planes on order and poor management. Let's see - let's take some more seats out of F, let's dilute the FF program, let's not have matching sales. (I watched BA have sales to Europe and UA not even respond).

The article in yesterday's USAToday on improvements on TA service and BA which already has a better product to UA is making theirs even better.

Channel 9 can only go so far as IFE and the rotation of the radio stations is about once a year.
Old Jul 19, 07, 10:00 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
I agree that VX will probably kill UA in Y (but a 32" pitch is appalling, and I have no intention of ever finding out just how bad it is). VX F probably = p.s. C. But p.s. F and VX F are not on a level playing field.
Old Jul 19, 07, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
As an aside, either VX sorely underprovisioned their web servers or thousands of curious FTers are visiting their site. It's been slow or crashed on me for the past hour. Dot.bomb anyone?
Old Jul 19, 07, 10:12 am

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
They must be selling a lot of seats, because I can't even finish a reservation on their website... twice I tried a booking for August, twice the site froze on me...

Come to think of it, just like the .bomb....
Old Jul 19, 07, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$778 RT for SFO-JFK in what looks to be a very nice F seat. UA is currently $2,000 for something similar (PS C) and, from what I've read here, the PS C (and F) seats are starting to show their age and lack of maintenance.
Old Jul 19, 07, 10:26 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Virgin America is the first U.S. airline with mood lighting.
There are 3000 MP3s onboard every flight.
You can plug in to 110v power at every seat.
You can order fresh food when you want it, from the screen at your seat.
Red, our in-flight entertainment system, has over 25 pay-per-view Hollywood movies on demand.
Virgin America is a cashless airline. Place your order, swipe your card, and you’re done.
Add in-flight internet and I'll just fly VX revenue from now on

UA, are you listening? Given the service and efficiency we've experienced with DJ in Oz, they're gonna chew you a new one

Pat
Old Jul 19, 07, 10:34 am

Programs: MP 1K to 2P - painful
SFYMTWTU may be the answer to the cost service problem!
Old Jul 19, 07, 10:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjque View Post
$778 RT for SFO-JFK in what looks to be a very nice F seat. UA is currently $2,000 for something similar (PS C) and, from what I've read here, the PS C (and F) seats are starting to show their age and lack of maintenance.
Starting?

This looks like an excellent product, poised to give UA a nice whipping on ps. When do LAX flights start? Will they use a GDS? Will F get lounge access?

Originally Posted by camachinist View Post
Add in-flight internet and I'll just fly VX revenue from now on
They're going to. Each seat already has an ethernet port.

Originally Posted by stevenshev View Post
VX F probably = p.s. C. But p.s. F and VX F are not on a level playing field.
How can you come to this conclusion? VX F vs. UA C:

* VX has more pitch
* VX has less seats
* VX has better IFE
* VX will have internet
* VX will likely have better food and wine
* VX will likley have better service (or at least on par)
* VX is cheaper

My bet is that VX F is close to UA F in some aspects, and far superior to C.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 19, 07 at 11:42 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 19, 07, 10:59 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC View Post
They're going to. Each seat already has an ethernet port.
Excellent! They had pay in-flight satellite TV in Oz, with variable results (a couple of a/c had equipment problems and they refunded the fee), but the card-swipe system and the way they handled the process was great.

Pat
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:08 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by stevenshev View Post
p.s. F and VX F are not on a level playing field.
You're right. VX F is about $3000 cheaper round-trip with better IFE. $3,000 is a lot to spend for a lie-flat seat.

Who knows what the soft product will be like but it's not going to be very hard to trump UA with food/wine.
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by camachinist View Post
Excellent! They had pay in-flight satellite TV in Oz, with variable results (a couple of a/c had equipment problems and they refunded the fee), but the card-swipe system and the way they handled the process was great.

Pat
The VX entertainment system doesn't rely on satellites. The entire system runs on a linux server in the belly of the aircraft. There's a really cool YouTube video about it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: