Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fares on Virgin America

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta PM/CRC, AA GLD/AC, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It does look like a conscious decision to not have any refundable fares. Hopefully VX will change it's mind (with the help of feedback).
I may be missing something, but the VX website indicates that if they are unable to accomodate your travel needs on the day ticketed (I guess meaning if they still aren't actually flying yet on the day for which you bought a ticket) they will reticket you on another airline at up to 200% of your ticket price. Not exactly a refundable ticket, but it should put at ease any fear that you won't be able to travel on the expected day (I sure hope so...I just booked my first F ticket with VX SFO-JFK).
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:46 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Only if they still have not received the authority from DOT. Once they started flying, the 200% rule does not apply.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:49 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Only if they still have not received the authority from DOT. Once they started flying, the 200% rule does not apply.
And in that specific case, you could simply ask for your ticket to be refunded 1 day prior to your flight, and get your money back.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 1:08 pm

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by WoodyWindy
But ... is a SFYMTWTU ?!?!?
Note to mods: Thanks for the edit. Sorry about that - I was so curious about the long acryonym, wasn't thinking about the actual "meaning" of MY acronym...
Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:05 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just booked VA for an October SFO-JFK round trip for me and a companion. Why?

1. No upgrades available on UA on ANY nonstop flight on the days I wanted.

2. UA wanted $2000 for round trip in C.

I booked Y on VA on the outbound (paying $25 extra for the long leg room seats) and F returning. I'll experience both classes.

Beginning of the end for UA long haul transcons? Very possibly unless they improve ps upgrade availability or compete on fares. We'll see!
Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:35 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
I just booked VX SFO-LAX for October.

Have you checked UA's fares on this route recently
(other than at 5 am or 11 pm)?
Old Jul 23, 2007, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Budley
I just booked VX SFO-LAX for October.

Have you checked UA's fares on this route recently
(other than at 5 am or 11 pm)?
I just got $108 (R/T) in September for approx. 6 pm departures.

Last edited by PTravel; Jul 23, 2007 at 5:23 pm
Old Jul 23, 2007, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I just booked VA for an October SFO-JFK round trip for me and a companion.
VA is Volare Airlines. Virgin America is VX.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:14 pm

Programs: 1K
Does anyone know if VX will status match?
Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jocojr
Does anyone know if VX will status match?
I don't think they have a status level yet, let alone status matches.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:25 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I don't think they have a status level yet, let alone status matches.

Sorry... I was kidding... Just thought I would be the first to ask the question!!!
Old Jul 25, 2007, 8:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
Effect on 1-stop pricing

Perhaps this is a coincidence, but I managed to get some fairly attractive pricing from UA on a 1-stop from JFK to SFO in 1st class. (It's even a 1-way ticket, which usually drives the prices up.) Perhaps this is Virgin-related?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Rom Sac
Perhaps this is a coincidence, but I managed to get some fairly attractive pricing from UA on a 1-stop from JFK to SFO in 1st class. (It's even a 1-way ticket, which usually drives the prices up.) Perhaps this is Virgin-related?
The higher prices on SFO/LAX-JFK and vv are due to PS, 1 stop flights are not PS and thus will always have far lower F fares, as they are 2 class F vs 3 class F
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:35 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by ryan182
The higher prices on SFO/LAX-JFK and vv are due to PS, 1 stop flights are not PS and thus will always have far lower F fares, as they are 2 class F vs 3 class F
That's fair enough, but these were significantly lower even than seems normal for 1-stops. (It was only for a few days and a few flights.)
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I just booked VA for an October SFO-JFK round trip for me and a companion. Why?

1. No upgrades available on UA on ANY nonstop flight on the days I wanted.

2. UA wanted $2000 for round trip in C.

I booked Y on VA on the outbound (paying $25 extra for the long leg room seats) and F returning. I'll experience both classes.

Beginning of the end for UA long haul transcons? Very possibly unless they improve ps upgrade availability or compete on fares. We'll see!
I also just booked on VX for the same reason - got a $500 o/w F seat on JFK-SFO when UA had zero upgrade availability on any flight, as usual.

In reality, I don't think UA is going to have to make any changes in regards to the premium cabin. VX for now only has one daytime flight and one redeye - that's 8 premium seats across all daytime flights. As much as I wish UA would add more upgrade inventory or lower premium fares, it's going to take a lot more than 8 seats to make them feel a pinch.

OTOH, they do risk losing pax long term on the transcons by not responding - I could easily see using UA for my weekly SFO-BUR flights and all non-transcons to keep 1k status and switching to VX for premium transcons to avoid the dreaded ps upgrade waitlist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.