Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD to DEN -- 3 hrs on tarmac

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2007, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
IAD to DEN -- 3 hrs on tarmac

Ugh. Were any of my FT amigos on this delightful flight this evening? Board on time at 5:00 sharp. Leave IAD at 7:57. They even started the movie it was so bad.

And to top it all off, some VBIT about ruined my computer bag trying to repeatedly jam his oversized carry-on into my bin. After I made a comment to him, another pax saved him from an RNC by advising him to cease and desist.

Fun...

I must admit, I have completely come to understand and emphasize with the FAs. They are the underpaid customer-facing arm of a very poor product.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any clue what the reason was? Were you at the gate the whole time or where?

Not sure if I agree that FA's are underpaid. The ones that read magazines the whole flight and roll their eyes at any request are overpaid. Those that smile, work hard, and treat passengers with respect certainly aren't overpaid.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:56 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
... another pax saved him from an RNC by advising him to cease and desist...
Saved him from the Republican National Committee?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:05 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Reputable Nail Cleaner?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 1:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, UA 2P, AA Gold, AGR Select Plus
Rear Naked Choke

Note to self: Do not piss off Roger Lococco
Old Jul 16, 2007, 5:32 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Dunno if this helps, but I was in the SAN RCC a few weeks ago where the guy ahead of me was chatting it up with the CS agent about how he sat on the runway for 4 hours the night before.

She clearly told him: "I think we have rules about that now. How about I give you a CR1 for your troubles?"

I was blown away. So you may want to give CS a call.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Uniter
Dunno if this helps, but I was in the SAN RCC a few weeks ago where the guy ahead of me was chatting it up with the CS agent about how he sat on the runway for 4 hours the night before.

She clearly told him: "I think we have rules about that now. How about I give you a CR1 for your troubles?"

I was blown away. So you may want to give CS a call.
Agreed, but it depends on the circumstances. If it was weather, the OP is clearly not entitled to any compensation. Look forward to hearing what exactly the cause was, and especially what the "RNC" that the OP refers to is.

BTW, love the RCC staff in SAN!^
Old Jul 16, 2007, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
United.com says the delay was for "customer service." (Is this what Barbara Higgins is talking about when she mentions enhancing the customer experience?!?!)

Unitedcargo.com says "OPERATIONS."
Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:40 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
He lost me at amigo...

IMHO, no compensation or phone call is warranted. The FA's did what they could to make people comfortable (played movie) and I can imply that the plane had A/C and people had access to the bathrooms and their cell phones else there would be complaints about generalized mayhem.

FWIW, UAL Cargo says the cause of the delay was "operations". They left the gate about 20 minutes late at 6:02p... FlightAware says they didn't take off until 8:02p.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
At 6pm there was some very nasty weather brewing ... high winds, dark skies. It didn't storm right where I am, but it had to have stormed somewhere based on the weather outside. That likely contributed to the delay somewhat (assumption on my part, I didn't fly yesterday or look at any schedules/status')

Last edited by GoingAway; Jul 16, 2007 at 8:47 am Reason: Updated thanks to emma dog pointing out the flight was iad-den and not the reverse
Old Jul 16, 2007, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, I'll bite...VBIT?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Ok, I'll bite...VBIT?
Vacation Bound Infrequent Traveler.... Roger invented the term and thinks we all automatically know it.

See this thread: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707404
Old Jul 16, 2007, 7:49 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Maybe we should start a thread titled "Esoteric Acronyms"...
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:06 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by emma dog
Maybe we should start a thread titled "Esoteric Acronyms"...
New Thread: A Glossary to Read Before Attempting at Any Thread Started by Roger
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by VA267_Speeder
Rear Naked Choke

Yes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.