Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Can I Upgrade an Award Ticket?" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Can I Upgrade an Award Ticket?" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:10 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Voice of reason here...heard rumor this was coming and bit my lip...

GS as a rule (there are exceptions) have more miles than most can use by themselves...they end up giving tickets away to friends. (once again, not all, but many do.)

GS as a rule have $$. Sure, sometimes it is 100% the companies money, but usually when you fly around on paid B/Y/C/F fares, you get compensated well by your company.

GS will often buy their own ticket with cash and upgrade with SWU/miles. This is real $$ in UA's pocket.

GS on an XY saver with SWU or miles upgrading=no $$ in UA's pocket. (don't say the $$ from the sale of miles...this is UGS, they get MOST miles from UA, not from Chase)

Cash is King!

I think this isn't a bad idea, but it could have been tempered. Say standard awards may be upgraded, but not saver. Or say upgrade space must be confiremd in XC/XF instead of NC/NF.

Sure these dilute the value to the customer, but they also return more to UA. It would still be a win/win, the UGS lose nothing and gain something, and UA doesn't give away ALL of it's revenue making opportunities.

I know, I am evil, but I believe in having a 10% off sale in my store before I go to the clearance 50% off. I get the chance to sell more product for a higher value, and still sell the same number of things. Depending on how this is rolled out (I haven't seen it becuase I was afraid of it) it MYA be too much IMHO.

Respect to you GS, but there is a difference between rewarding and respecting, and being 100% subservient. The girl who plays a little hard to get is so much more appealing than the girl who has no virtue. UA, please retain some virtue.

To me there will be very few GS members on their vacations spening ANY cash on UA. Only miles from here out, depending on the details of this.

Congrats GS memebers....if someone gets the text and details, please post. I am curious.

LOL steven, as for getting a profile code...do we need another 20+page in 48 hour thread where profiles are hardcopied and security gets called? A good debate once, a habiit, not so good. My guess is the workers in DTWRR that answer GS calls are pretty good at knowing their jobs. When was the last time a call placed to the USA's GS line was routed outside of the country?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:19 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by fastair
Voice of reason here...heard rumor this was coming and bit my lip...

GS as a rule (there are exceptions) have more miles than most can use by themselves...they end up giving tickets away to friends. (once again, not all, but many do.)

. . .GS will often buy their own ticket with cash and upgrade with SWU/miles. This is real $$ in UA's pocket.

GS on an XY saver with SWU or miles upgrading=no $$ in UA's pocket. (don't say the $$ from the sale of miles...this is UGS, they get MOST miles from UA, not from Chase)

. . .

I think this isn't a bad idea, but it could have been tempered. Say standard awards may be upgraded, but not saver. Or say upgrade space must be confiremd in XC/XF instead of NC/NF.

Sure these dilute the value to the customer, but they also return more to UA. It would still be a win/win, the UGS lose nothing and gain something, and UA doesn't give away ALL of it's revenue making opportunities.

I know, I am evil, but I believe in having a 10% off sale in my store before I go to the clearance 50% off. I get the chance to sell more product for a higher value, and still sell the same number of things. Depending on how this is rolled out (I haven't seen it becuase I was afraid of it) it MYA be too much IMHO.

Respect to you GS, but there is a difference between rewarding and respecting, and being 100% subservient. The girl who plays a little hard to get is so much more appealing than the girl who has no virtue. UA, please retain some virtue.

To me there will be very few GS members on their vacations spening ANY cash on UA. Only miles from here out, depending on the details of this.

Congrats GS memebers....if someone gets the text and details, please post. I am curious.
?
If you knew it was coming as you say above then why can't you post the text and details here for us?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:22 pm

Nice perk... although I would just prefer redeeming for C award or F award to being with. But then again, C awards are difficult to get on UA these days so I think this is a great benefit overall. Lucky UGS folks.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:26 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by ldsant
If you knew it was coming as you say above then why can't you post the text and details here for us?
I didn't ask the details as it was rumor. I am not in a position where I work for WHQPR or an am an officer and can be the source of inside information. I don't work in the department that deals with it. I enjoy my job and being a "leak" is detrimental to job security.

I only discuss information that is already public and offer my own opinions on that information. To go beyond that (i.e. to release info, or to pretend to represent UA) is not within my rights as an employee.

I may be loyal to you, the customers, but I am more loyal to my employer.

I get peeved when I see people like the IAD FA that posted unsubstantiated rumors and inside info last week. It is not their role to do so.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a fantastic benefit for GS's! Nice to see UA is thinking!^
Old Jul 11, 2007, 3:27 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I was told about this many months ago as it was going to be another perk of GS -and GS only. Only the GS desk can process it. Just like the 120 v 100 hours for an upgrade, it is a perk. If you want that perk, become a GS. It's pretty simple. There's no crying in baseball. My benefit is not your devaluation.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 11, 2007 at 8:04 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ldsant
Maybe because he doesn't want to share internal UA communications...
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:26 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I was told about this many months ago as it was going to be another perk of GS -and GS only. Only the GS desk can process it. Just like the 120 v 100 hours for an upgrade, it is a perk. If you want that perk, become a GS. It's pretty simple. There's no vrying in baseball. My benefit is not your devaluation.
I agree with everything except the last sentence. This policy will reduce the number of available NC/NF seats because more of them get used by GSs, thus leaving fewer available for 1Ks and below. That said, I think this policy is reasonable and justified. But it's silly to pretend that no devaluation to other members' benefits results.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
I agree with everything except the last sentence. This policy will reduce the number of available NC/NF seats because more of them get used by GSs, thus leaving fewer available for 1Ks and below. That said, I think this policy is reasonable and justified. But it's silly to pretend that no devaluation to other members' benefits results.
Totally agree here. I think it is a good idea and added benefit on UA's part for their most profitable customers, but at the same time we can't pretend it doesn't devalue the program just a bit for the rest of us. Still, this is very reasonable!^
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:05 am

Programs: UGS, AA CK
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Received an e-mail about re-qualifying for UGS, and it had a little blurb at the end:

"as well as our new policy allowing you to upgrade from an award seat when calling Global Services."

I called UGS and asked them if this was the case and they said yes it was. I was able to upgrade from a Business Class award ticket to Hong Kong to First both ways using Systemwides. Did anyone know this?

UG
This would be a great value. My biggest historical complaint was that I never had a use for any of the upgrade certificates that UA distributes b/c I was always booked where I wanted to sit...
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
we can't pretend it doesn't devalue the program just a bit for the rest of us.
That's the same as saying that when you book an award or purchase the last T fare, you devalue the program for me because I can't get that same ticket. So the mere existence of the program devalues the program. I completely agree with iluv2fly (as I also stated way back in post #5). There is no devaluation for anyone here. I would even go so far as to say that adding such clear distinctions among levels increases the value of the program.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:22 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by fastair
LOL steven, as for getting a profile code...do we need another 20+page in 48 hour thread where profiles are hardcopied and security gets called? A good debate once, a habiit, not so good. My guess is the workers in DTWRR that answer GS calls are pretty good at knowing their jobs. When was the last time a call placed to the USA's GS line was routed outside of the country?
more interested in how it gets processed (i.e. GS desk only, what class it books into, etc) than having an argument with anyone
Old Jul 11, 2007, 9:44 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's the same as saying that when you book an award or purchase the last T fare, you devalue the program for me because I can't get that same ticket. So the mere existence of the program devalues the program. I completely agree with iluv2fly (as I also stated way back in post #5). There is no devaluation for anyone here. I would even go so far as to say that adding such clear distinctions among levels increases the value of the program.
No, it's not the same. Anyone can book an award or buy a T fare, whereas not anyone can upgrade from a free ticket. It's not that "the mere existence of the program devalues the program" because you are talking as though there is just one "the program." The case is that the existence of the upgrade-from-free-tickets benefit of the UGS program devalues the upgrade-from-paid-tickets benefit of the 1K/1P/2P program.

I also don't know which "the program" you are talking about when you say that adding clear distinctions among levels "increases the value of the program." Certainly, the value of the GS program is increased. But the value of the 1K/MP program, which you remember is a separate program, is correspondingly reduced.

I think it's great that UA is rewarding its most profitable flyers (UGS) this way, but I think it's silly to pretend that there's "no devaluation for anyone."
Old Jul 11, 2007, 4:18 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I was told about this many months ago as it was going to be another perk of GS -and GS only. Only the GS desk can process it. Just like the 120 v 100 hours for an upgrade, it is a perk. If you want that perk, become a GS. It's pretty simple. There's no crying in baseball. My benefit is not your devaluation.
This will be interesting when an uninformed CSR (or IFL CSR) tries to downgrade a UGS because they "got away with upgrading an XY/XC ticket."
Old Jul 11, 2007, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
No, it's not the same. Anyone can book an award or buy a T fare, whereas not anyone can upgrade from a free ticket. It's not that "the mere existence of the program devalues the program" because you are talking as though there is just one "the program." The case is that the existence of the upgrade-from-free-tickets benefit of the UGS program devalues the upgrade-from-paid-tickets benefit of the 1K/1P/2P program.

I also don't know which "the program" you are talking about when you say that adding clear distinctions among levels "increases the value of the program." Certainly, the value of the GS program is increased. But the value of the 1K/MP program, which you remember is a separate program, is correspondingly reduced.

I think it's great that UA is rewarding its most profitable flyers (UGS) this way, but I think it's silly to pretend that there's "no devaluation for anyone."
Exactly! So is mahasamatman saying that if 1K's received 8 500'ers per 10K miles flown that wouldn't be a devaluation for the lower level elites?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.