Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Can I Upgrade an Award Ticket?" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Can I Upgrade an Award Ticket?" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:25 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by kb1992
Big deal.

HKG Saver Award in C= 90K miles
HKG Saver Award in F= 120K miles

Why would anyone book award C then use 2 SWUs to upgrade to F?

2 SWU should be valued more than 30K miles, IMHO.
In your example, 2 SWU would be worth 60K miles... seems like a fair tradeoff.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA
Big deal.

HKG Saver Award in C= 90K miles
HKG Saver Award in F= 120K miles

2 SWU should be valued more than 30K miles, IMHO.
Sure, but what about

ORD-HNL Saver in Y: 35K miles
ORD-HNL Saver in 2-cabin F: 75K miles

versus, say, ORD-HNL in F for 35K miles plus 2 CR-1s, or 35K miles plus a bunch of e500s? To me those sound significantly better than effectively blowing an extra 40K miles for a 2-cabin F upgrade (admittedly a better-than-usual 2-cabin F).

And that's not to mention the times that, to use your example above, HKG is available for Saver awards in C ... and available for upgrades from C to F ... but doesn't have any Saver F awards available. In any of these cases, this new benefit would be very handy.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wharvey
In your example, 2 SWU would be worth 60K miles... seems like a fair tradeoff.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I think the real value of this benefit is that NF & NC are usually a lot easier to find that XF & XC respectively, so you can book an award in the lower class, and user miles or other instruments to book your "award" into NF/NC. ^
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
No firsthand experience, but based on a lot of the postings here it seems like there aren't all that many saver C seats to Asia at all, but saver Y does seem possible. It'd be a great deal to pick up Y seats and upgrade to C with SWUs wouldn't it?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qasr
I think the real value of this benefit is that NF & NC are usually a lot easier to find that XF & XC respectively, so you can book an award in the lower class, and user miles or other instruments to book your "award" into NF/NC. ^
That's a good point. I wonder if these book into NC/NF or XC/XF?

I would imagine the system is set to credit MP account with mileage in the NC/NF buckets, so I'm curious how this works.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Availability.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mattorb
And that's not to mention the times that, to use your example above, HKG is available for Saver awards in C ... and available for upgrades from C to F ... but doesn't have any Saver F awards available. In any of these cases, this new benefit would be very handy.

argh availability issue...

My observation is that it's often easier to get saver F than saver C to HKG...
Old Jul 10, 2007, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by UNITED959
That's a good point. I wonder if these book into NC/NF or XC/XF?

I would imagine the system is set to credit MP account with mileage in the NC/NF buckets, so I'm curious how this works.
Op-ups book into NF/NC too, and it doesn't affect the mileage earning (non) ability. The booking class on the BP alone doesn't determine the mileage earned. E.g. Booking a B fare and upgrading to NC vs booking H and upgrading to NC. You get 150% EQM in one case, and not the other even though they're both booked into NC.

I'd be very surprised if they weren't booked in NC/NF.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 2:30 pm
Suspended

My observation is that it's often easier to get saver F than saver C to HKG...
Riiiiiight....?? And also easier to get Saver Y, so it's nice that you can upgrade Saver Y. What's so complicated?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by qasr
I'd be very surprised if they weren't booked in NC/NF.
Perhaps the OP can clarify?

Another question: What about if you're NOT upgrading via the UGS line, i.e. you're upgrading at the airport? Will those agents know that a UGS can upgade XY/XC tickets? The email from UGS just said "...by calling your Global Services representative."
Old Jul 10, 2007, 2:34 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Perhaps the OP can clarify?

Another question: What about if you're NOT upgrading via the UGS line, i.e. you're upgrading at the airport? Will those agents know that a UGS can upgade XY/XC tickets? The email from UGS just said "...by calling your Global Services representative."
That's what I've been wondering. Because if that's the case, it's likely that rogue airports (LHR comes to mind) will do whatever the hell they want in terms of allowing people to upgrade X* tickets. Honestly, though, if GS can upgrade XY and XC with SWUs, they should also be able to upgrade Z, and S and below.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Riiiiiight....?? And also easier to get Saver Y, so it's nice that you can upgrade Saver Y. What's so complicated?
Sure, this beats standard C and F.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Received an e-mail about re-qualifying for UGS, and it had a little blurb at the end:

"as well as our new policy allowing you to upgrade from an award seat when calling Global Services."

I called UGS and asked them if this was the case and they said yes it was. I was able to upgrade from a Business Class award ticket to Hong Kong to First both ways using Systemwides. Did anyone know this?

UG
FYI: April Fools Day is on April 1.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by stevenshev
they should also be able to upgrade Z, and S and below.
And how many GSs fly S/T/L?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.