Search

Has anyone declined OP-UG?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2007, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Has anyone declined OP-UG?

Flew home from PVG with my two kids (ages 7 and 11) on July 4th after a 2+ week China tour.

As we comfortably sat in E+ waiting for the rest of the passengers to board, ground staff came on board and told me I had been op-up to C as special thanks for my loyalty as a 1KMM. She told me Y was not sold out, but there was one C seat still open and I was #1 on the list for that seat. I declined because I had two kids with me.

This was the first time I declined up-ug. I was close to decline up-ug on my MM flight (ORD-HKG) two years ago, I accepted the up-ug and left my wife and kids behind (with their blessings).

Anyone else ever declined up-ug and why?
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:07 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Offered up-ug on Ted

I was offered an up-ug on Ted to a private first Suite.
I was told it had a locking door which told others the suite was occupied.
The suite had a private commode and sink with a mirror.
I was advised that the Ted first suite had to be shared with other passengers.
I was actually going to take it but discovered the seat was not adjustable and
lacked in comfort. I declined, but maybe next time…
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
If I'm already seated and I'm tired and I just don't feel like moving my stuff and standing up, I blow it off.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I have, twice. Once on a 757 where I was seating in an exit-row aisle and they wanted to give me a window seat in F. Another time on an A320 where I had the bulkhead row and an empty seat next to me, and they wanted to give me 2D. On a plane configured for international, I would not turn it down. Unless as you say I had kids with me.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sobore
I was offered an up-ug on Ted to a private first Suite.
I wish I had read your advice sooner. Would be nice if you could find this suite on SeatGuru! Had I known about the lack of seat adjustment I never would have taken it. I did find the self-serve napkin dispenser useful - it saved the FA from having to hand me 15 napkins per flight (no really, I don't need another napkin to go with my package of pretzels..)
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:39 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Twice now on 757s, I've been in 16A and offered 1C. I hate that seat, and it was non-mealtime, so I declined.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
This is why I am always confused by those people who would choose to live a lifestyle which would put them in situations where they'd have to turn down an upgrade...
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Three times and each time it was because I was with my wife and she was on an award tkt. Two times we went to our seats to find someone sitting in my seat and I knew I had been op-upped so it was that person's lucky day.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K Marriott T.E. Hertz PC
I have refused Y->C on a ORD-LAX flight. I would have taken it, but I was on the window side next to a large woman in the middle, and a rude guy on the aisle who refused to even move his feet when said large woman tried to get to her seat. It would have been too much hassle.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:43 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by FF_Parrothead
I have refused Y->C on a ORD-LAX flight. I would have taken it, but I was on the window side next to a large woman in the middle, and a rude guy on the aisle who refused to even move his feet when said large woman tried to get to her seat. It would have been too much hassle.

Sounds like it would have been well WORTH the hassle though!!
Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

Anyone else ever declined up-ug and why?
No.

Although if in your situation I would have...so far my only op-ups have been when I was flying alone!^
Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Yes - 757 - SEA-ORD. I had the exit row - much more space there
Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
twice

once on 75 where i had 9c and was offered 1d and once on a 320 from 6c to 1d. both times the g/a mentioned something like "i completely understand-less legroom" and with the 75 9c -->1d, the agent asked if i had ever heard of seatguru . told her yes and then asked if she had ever heard of flyertalk .
Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Back in 2004, had 10A (exit row aisle) on a BVT-ORD leg. Was offered an op-up, but declined the loss of seat pitch.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by honmani2
Three times and each time it was because I was with my wife and she was on an award tkt. Two times we went to our seats to find someone sitting in my seat and I knew I had been op-upped so it was that person's lucky day.
Did your wife prefer to sit next to you rather than in C? Perfectly plausible, just wondering why it didn't become your wife's lucky day. (i.e. you take her seat, she moves up.)

Last edited by cepheid; Jul 6, 2007 at 7:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.