Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled Flight -- No Crew

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Cancelled Flight -- No Crew

My flight LAX-MCO on Wednesday was cancelled due to United not having a crew available for the flight. This was the red eye so after the numerous delays and finally notice of cancellation, it was so late we had no other flight options. United gave us a room for the night and put us on standby for the next morning's direct flight. My party elected to try standby which we learned was already oversold by 40 (they did not tell us this). Of course we didn't make it but we were given confirmed seats for Friday. We found Southwest had seats to Orlando leaving that day (Thursday) and we booked them and flew. Called United and let them know we would not be needing the Friday flight. We flew United on Sunday back to LAX, luckily we were on the first flight so it went through relatively painlessly. Now I need to get my refund for the cancelled portion of our trip. What am I entitled to? We were flying for a medical conference and could not complete continued education hours that had already been paid for. Moreover, I had used United travel certificates to pay for part of the tickets so am I entitled to just the credit card payment refunded and my voucher credit back as well? And the Southwest one-way tickets were slightly higher, is this difference refundable? Is their anything else I should ask for? I know this is common but in 30 years of flying this is the first time the reason for the cancellation was completely on the airline, no weather or unforeseen circumstance. Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:37 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
You can certainly write or call UA Consumer Relations but I'm not sure you will get the compensation you desire. United did offer an alternative (next day), albeit a disappointment for all passengers when they couldn't fly the desired day, but you declined it.

Although you were proactive and booked Southwest to get you there earlier, this was your choice (I know, you feel you had no choice) but since UA has no reciprocal agreement with them, reimbursement is not necessarily due. Could you not have found any other airline that UA would have endorsed the tickets over to? This would have been worth trying and would not have cost you another airfare. Good luck, hope UA sees it your way.
iluvcf likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 12:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Always a risk flying near the end of the month these days. At least UA isn't as bad as NW (yet).

You're entitled to a cash refund for half your roundtrip fare. (Assuming you were on the same fare basis there and back. If not it's a little more complicated.) If you can get more, that's gravy, but don't settle for less than the cash refund. Refunds normally go to the original form of payment, so I'm not sure how they'll handle your two methods of payment. The UA refund department can be hard to reach; if so, explain what happened to your credit card and they should agree to dispute the charge until it gets resolved.
iluvcf likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 5:41 am
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Given that UA seems to hand out $100 coupons like candy, I think getting a refund for the unused one way portion of your ticket plus a $100 coupon will probably get you close to break-even, and won't take much arguing.

FWIW, next time you might ask about alternative routings (say into Tampa) and drive to Orlando. With high summer load factors, reaccommodating pax from a cxld flight is VERY difficult, so the only way to "cut ahead" of your fellow passengers is to be a bit more creative in the reroute you would accept. I am sure UA would have rebooked you on another carrier, just not Southwest, because Southwest doesn't have reaccom agreements (to my knowledge) with other carriers except in certain circumstance. The problem was I am sure flights to Orlando were VERY full.

Sorry about your inconvenience!
iluvcf likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For future, you really need to "get on them" in times like these. There are multiple options on which you probably could have been accommodated...LAX-DEN-MCO, LAX-ORD-MCO, LAX-IAD-MCO, LAX-SFO-MCO, etc. I realize this isn't exactly fun when "Jim" doesn't understand your English.

Or, as das mentioned...look at alternative closeby cities.

Even though it's easiest for the moment to book other tickets, it's going to cause you many headaches dealing with UA on "what is owed" after the fact.
iluvcf likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.