Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Fleet Updgrade Report: Hard and Soft Product

Fleet Updgrade Report: Hard and Soft Product

Old Jun 24, 2007, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by abraxis
Sheesh. Considering that UA uses a LOT of 747s going to Asia (SFO-HKG-SIN) and on my last trip to Oz (SFO-SYD) and there's NO IFE planned in steerage or steerage plus, I guess the only other airlines that pay attention to comfort and amenities in steerage are the competition (SQ, NH, CX, OZ).

Too bad it seems that UA doesn't acknowledge the poor schmuck (like myself) that usually winds up in the economy cabin on a 14 hour flight!
Many carriers have chosen not to install PTVs in Y on their 744s.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 5:39 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Many carriers have chosen not to install PTVs in Y on their 744s.
Aside from Lufthansa, which carriers would that be?
Old Jun 24, 2007, 5:59 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by treyrox
I would imagine that taking more than one, maybe 2 aircraft out of the longhaul rotation at a time would be challenging as the number of spares that currently exist is already so slim. So even if by year 2 of the conversion they are doing 25+ per year that is still going to take until at least 2011 to get done. That is a long way out. I guess as long as FTers are able to keep track of the converted planes and pick their travel accordingly things will be fine. It sounds like their will be some solid differences between planes for quite some time.
Actually, it seems easy to me. The length of time and description of gutting the plane makes me think that they're going to do it on a C or D check when it's already in maintenance. During a D check, all of the seats and carpet are removed anyway.

For my speculation, I bet that they pull 2 of the same type of plane around the same time. It would save on the scheduling logistics (i.e. which style of plane is flying from point A to B on a routine basis).
Old Jun 24, 2007, 6:52 pm
zac

Too bad it seems that UA doesn't acknowledge the poor schmuck (like myself) that usually winds up in the economy cabin on a 14 hour flight!
I agree with UA on this decision. I don't like it, but it's the same one I would make. Y flyers are almost universally concerned with one thing: price. And, if the Y flyers themselves aren't, then the people writing their travel policies are.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by zac
I agree with UA on this decision. I don't like it, but it's the same one I would make. Y flyers are almost universally concerned with one thing: price. And, if the Y flyers themselves aren't, then the people writing their travel policies are.
But what you fail to acknowledge are amenities, and all that United's competitors on route have to make mention of is their in-flight amenities. EG: Korean Air, Cathay Pacific, Singapore, ANA, and many others all offer superior coach IFE compared to United, and all it takes is for Expedia, Orbitz, and the other booking engines that many people us to start displaying this information and as long as the price is within a few dollars, United's 747 fleet has just become a draw instead of a savings on IFE costs.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA CK, BA Gold, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First, Hertz 5*
Sheesh. Considering that UA uses a LOT of 747s going to Asia (SFO-HKG-SIN) and on my last trip to Oz (SFO-SYD) and there's NO IFE planned in steerage or steerage plus, I guess the only other airlines that pay attention to comfort and amenities in steerage are the competition (SQ, NH, CX, OZ).

I know, I'm not a fan of this either but I can see UA's logic. The price sensitivity of Y is severe, and I think if someone can save $50-$100 by flying on a UA 744 and not have IFE, they'll probably do it.

Conversely, I cannot imagine that UA would want to drop a lot of $$$$ into the Y cabins on the 744s, as by 2020 about 1/3 to 1/2 of the 744 fleet will be 30+ years old, which is ancient by 747 standards. As I've posted before, I think most pax airlines have rarely kept a 747 beyond 20 years (TWA being the rare exception that I knew of).
Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:45 am

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
UA Just got bad press RE: no Personal TV in Y:

Heir fare
Sydney Morning Herald
Jane E. Fraser
June 24, 2007

"The key factors for children are inflight entertainment, activity packs and meals - in other words, distraction and sustenance. Most major airlines now have individual screens throughout economy, with a selection of children's videos and music.

The notable exception is United Airlines, which would make it my last-resort choice for the 13-hour-plus flight to Los Angeles."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/tips/the-...019266827.html
Old Jun 25, 2007, 5:33 am

Not necessarily, just read on ...

" ... Today's gathering is a very, very valuable reminder, especially to me personally, that the business will not always be about financial restructuring ...
... And it will always be about the customer. And, if I were to only impart one message from this podium today, it would be that, and the fact that I'm given the opportunity to remind myself of that is a very, very good thing ...
... As technology becomes easier to use, more accessible and less costly, regardless of where our customers and passengers happen to be, they increasingly expect the entertainment and the information choices available to them inflight to be as instantaneous and as varied as they are on the ground ...
... At the same time, because of the proliferation of small, relatively inexpensive electronic devices passengers really don't need to rely any longer on inflight offerings for entertainment. They are certainly no longer a captive audience. We have their bodies on board, but we can't be guaranteed that we have their attention, and we've all witnessed this phenomenon. All they have to do is load up their laptops, their personal DVDs or their interactive electronic games.
We need, as a collective, to create the compelling high-quality content and new value-added business services that will compete successfully for their attention. And when they think of all of those options available to them, they need to think first of us, and they need to be convinced that we, in turn, are thinking of them.
And we need to deliver up-to-date technology to convey the message and to deliver the product. We have to find opportunities to grab our customers' focus onboard, and in a very significant way, we need to have them thinking about the experience as a pleasurable one. If we can't provide options that our customers will choose over what they will bring along themselves, we've lost the revenue and customer satisfaction opportunities, and we've lost the opportunity to differentiate ourselves.
Our offerings need to be more sophisticated and interactive, because giving our passengers greater choice and more control over content can be a huge influence on customer satisfaction and comfort, as I've said, in these difficult times.
I get to see this, as you can imagine, very, very often and I get to see it up close and personal. On my return from Narita to Chicago, as I walk our 777's, with screens and entertainment choices at every seat throughout the airplane, the contentedness of our United passengers is palpable. And, when I stop to talk to them about that, it is much appreciated. We're not simply moving them from point A to point B, we're making our expression of appreciation understood."

Glenn F. Tilton at The World Airline Entertainment Association (WAEA)
September 09, 2003

Visionary or what?
Old Jun 25, 2007, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
If UA isn't going to put IFE into each seat in Y, then I would at least expect them to put an electrical plug into each seat in Y, similar to the Exec Economy seats on SQ. Then, to which Tilton so eloquently eluded, customers can supply their own IFE.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 6:31 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Originally Posted by Axey
Aside from Lufthansa, which carriers would that be?
Well, it would be TG. And I thought LH has decided to install PTVs in the 744? Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by DogHead
Tilton: All they have to do is load up their laptops, their personal DVDs or their interactive electronic games
Huh Glenn? All seats in Y and some in C/F don't have in-flight power. If you provide every seat with 110/220V, I don't think anyone would care about in-flight entertainment. I know I wouldn't.

NRT-ORD? The contentness of pax is palpable? That's because they're ASLEEP and dreaming of Japanese beer machines!
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:12 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by dfs24
Well, it would be TG. And I thought LH has decided to install PTVs in the 744? Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
If LH+TG = "many", I'm not sure what "a few" is.

My point was that on the routes UA flies, only LH (who shares revenue with UA) is equally awful in terms of 744 Y entertainment. Most other longhaul carriers UA competes with to asia and europe have PTV's in Y. As for TG, I don't think they currently fly 744's to the US, do they?

UA and LH are at the bottom of the pile.

And no, no PTV on LH's 744 in Y
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM
Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention from my discussion with the guy on my HKG-SFO flight: UA is moving away from the 15V power plugs to US standard 110V outlets. No mention of whether this is just F and C. I did not ask.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blueman2
Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention from my discussion with the guy on my HKG-SFO flight: UA is moving away from the 15V power plugs to US standard 110V outlets. No mention of whether this is just F and C. I did not ask.
Now that would be nice! I still haven't gotten empower!
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Axey
If LH+TG = "many", I'm not sure what "a few" is.

My point was that on the routes UA flies, only LH (who shares revenue with UA) is equally awful in terms of 744 Y entertainment. Most other longhaul carriers UA competes with to asia and europe have PTV's in Y. As for TG, I don't think they currently fly 744's to the US, do they?

UA and LH are at the bottom of the pile.

And no, no PTV on LH's 744 in Y
Add the following carriers to the no PTV in Y on US flights list...
-Asiana's 747s, these are due for a cabin re-fit
-Alitalia's 767s
-US Airways' 767-200s, these will be replaced with A330's
-Some of Air France's 747s
-Some of Delta's 767s, but re-fits are eliminating this
-EVA Air's 747s, these seem to be going to cargo conversions
-KLM's MD-11s and 747s
-Northwest's 747s

However, take into account that United has 30 747s and they will be doing complete overhauls on the cabins of these planes. They adopted PTV technology with their 777s when they were new in 1995 and introduced new 747's after that but neglected to do this. It's pathetic that a fleet with a 15 year old interior will have better in cabin amenities than a fleet re-fitted in 2010 where the main expense in the 15 year old interiors that has plummeted are the actual LCD screens which are less than a quarter of the cost in 1995. By the time United's cabin re-fits are complete they will have one of 5 fleets that fly to the USA internationally with no PTV's in economy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.