Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Lounge Access in PEK (Beijing)" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Lounge Access in PEK (Beijing)" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:58 pm

Programs: Onepass, AAdvantage, Skymiles, Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by CApreppie
New airplanes don't mean a thing if they crash them. Look at their safety record--it's pretty subpar. I'd take EVA over China Airlines.
I believe that China Airlines is a Taiwan based carrier and that you were probably referencing Air China. But yes, China Airlines does not quite exactly have a sterling safety record. Air China, for all intents, is a pretty safe airline. Not luxurious or up to western standards, but they'll at least get you to PEK in one piece.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1P emeritus; Hhonors Silver; Marriott Rewards Silver
Crappy, as others noted. Smokey. And, good luck getting a western news site on the computers in the lounge.

PEK *G lounge has one of the odder snacks I've seen. Some sort of thing like the old 80s-era Fruit Roll-ups only meat flavored. Ick.

Plenty of Tsing Tao in the cooler though.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by jjpnyc
I believe that China Airlines is a Taiwan based carrier and that you were probably referencing Air China. But yes, China Airlines does not quite exactly have a sterling safety record. Air China, for all intents, is a pretty safe airline. Not luxurious or up to western standards, but they'll at least get you to PEK in one piece.
Well that poster mentioned CI, which is China Airlines. CA is Air China. So I answered in regards to CI.

Air China has a pretty good safety record. I'd feel safer on their planes than China Airlines. CA does have supbar Biz and First offerings though.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:11 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by AADC10
They did rebuild it in anticipation of the 2000 Olympics. You should have seen the old terminal. It looked like the train station and the check-in facilities were completely inadequate.
O M G!!!
Do you mean it was worse?

Spend as little time there as possible.
What he/she said!
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:45 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
They did rebuild it in anticipation of the 2000 Olympics. You should have seen the old terminal. It looked like the train station and the check-in facilities were completely inadequate
PEK is actually two terminals. Terminal 1 was built in anticiapation of the 2000 Olympics and replaced what was later renovated to be Terminal 2 -- mostly used by China Southern.

Currently under construction in preparation for the 2008 Olympics are two new terminals affectionately known as the Twin Pumpkins by Beijing foreign residents due to the orange exterior color which is clearly visible as you arrive/depart from PEK.

Having been there throughout the construction of Terminal 1 and having both seen the plans and visited the construction for the two new terminals, I believe current travellers to/from PEK will be very pleasantly surprised when the two new terminals are opened. In particular, the *A lounge will be as good as any on the *A route network.

The only open question is how the ground transportation to/from the new PEK will be handled. Transit times downtown are not great today and with passenger growth at PEK already exceeding 15% per year plus what is certain to be aspike of traffic for the Olympics, the real adventure will be on the road not in the air.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
I remember years ago my father flew to Beijing to act as a consultant to the
Chinese government for building the "new?" airport. After all was said and done the powers that be pretty much abdandoned all the consulting reports and gave the lucrative contracts to their relatives. Maybe that explains the current condition.
As if your pa wouldn't grant the contracts to his cronies if he could?

Anyway, a consulting report is just that - "consulting."
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Is it just me? It seems the PEK lounge feels unclean.

Regarding CA and CI, I don't think it's fair to rank them in the same group. IMHO, CI is lot better than CA, but definitely a couple of steps behind Eva.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:26 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
I still have the distinct memory of biting into one of their mini hot dog wraps that the staff had forgotten to warm up! Yuck!

The lounge was nothing really special, dial up modem access, a small spread of food, and older furniture. To be honest I wish I was in Shanghai's airport, a lot more interesting shops to browse over there!

Oh, and don't forget to have money for their Chinese airport departure tax, that you must pay for separately before getting your boarding pass!
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:12 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by KMHT FF
As if your pa wouldn't grant the contracts to his cronies if he could?

Anyway, a consulting report is just that - "consulting."

You got that right! Doesn't the saying go " Those who can do, those who can't teach, and those who can't teach consult."
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
You got that right! Doesn't the saying go " Those who can do, those who can't teach, and those who can't teach consult."
Makes you wonder about all these business school professors who teach business school students who become MBA's who become... consultants!

NFW!
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
I remember the old PEK airport. Yes it was worse. I would completely agree with the other poster that it did feel like a train station.

Then again with the PLA being in charge or the Air Force, I'm not surprised.

The current airport is still dumpy, but it is loads better than before. I don't think I have flown back to PEK since 2004 pre-annoucement of the Oylmpics so I can't comment on the new contruction. I really hope it will be nicer than PVG.

I really wish that PVG PEK could be on the level of ICB, HKG, NGO, etc. but guess I will keep hoping.

Tell em the last time that CI has had an accident transpac. CI has done a lot to change their company and many of their pilots are Western now. CI has a nicer C class product than BR. but BR has Evergreen Delux. Anyways. CI is really a better airline than CA. CA is an old old bumbling state giant. Its my last choice for intra-china carriers.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:54 am

I was there in December 2005 and they've gotten rid of the departure tax.

Originally Posted by Arthurrs

Oh, and don't forget to have money for their Chinese airport departure tax, that you must pay for separately before getting your boarding pass!
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:18 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
No *G lounges in PEK

I did a search a few weeks ago re *Gold lounges in PEK as will be there in a couple of weeks. Turns out it is a contract lounge for F & C pax and an invitation is given at check-in. The lounge is not for *G. I will be flying F on a China Eastern domestic flight from PEK so may see if I can save my invite for my E+ UA flight home the following week.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Arthurrs
Fortunately, it's now included in the price of your ticket. One less line to deal with.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
PEK, forgot it. The traffic handling is poor to worst. People working there used to be nicer back in 2000, but no more. It is more like Shanghai Pudong and Hongqiao, arrogant. The so-called restaurant is a big ripe-off, not only money, but time and taste. It is worst than "any place" I dine in Beijing. It is basically dog food. About the duty free shops, they stuff with all the junks that no body wants. I have been travelling in and out of PEK via Narita, SFO, HKG and many local airports for the last 6 years. Each time I go, I felt the level of gravity has on its level of service, going DOWN!

I am not trying to compare with the great airports like SIN, HKG, NRT. I am comparing it to the smaller local airports like Shenzhen, Xiamen or even Hongqiao. These are more efficient airports, by comparison. PEK is a shame to the city of Beijing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.