3P: able to bring guest to E+?

Old Jun 16, 07, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond,
3P: able to bring guest to E+?

Just flew SFO-FRA with my family on an award ticket. To ensure E+ seating for the 4 of us, I nominated my wife for 3P status. Because our kids are young (1.5 & 3 years), I wanted us to each have access to an aisle so we could play "man-to-man" defense, keep the kids entertained, get 'em out of the seats when possible, etc. I view this as a favor to the other passengers, not just a convenience to us--we work hard to entertain our kids and it has paid off with quiet kids on every flight we've taken.

The flight was on a 777 and I asked for two rows of window/aisle seats. Every CSR I spoke with said it couldn't be done, even though the seating was wide open. The best they could offer was 4 adjacent seats in the 5-seat middle row, with a tone of "you're lucky we're even letting you on the plane..."

Anyone able to help me understand what's up with the inflexibility? Was it because of the award ticket? Do they frown on 3Ps bringing guests? We're my expectations too high (e.g., window/aisle combo is a premium)? My biggest frustration with the CSRs was the lack of justification--they just said "no" without explantation. (Of course, one solution is to book my family biz class award seats in the future--something I suspect most of you would rather I avoid. )

I've often joked that being a 1K merely gets you the treatment that ALL passengers deserve--maybe that isn't a joke anymore.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 16, 07, 6:42 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
3P's are allowed one guest in E+. My wife has done this many times.
You may have to play CSR roulette in order to get this accomplished.
Old Jun 16, 07, 6:46 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
yes you can
keep trying
Old Jun 16, 07, 9:30 am

I just spent a couple hours quality time on the phone with CSRs yesterday trying to book 4 E+ seats, so my memory is fresh on this question. I was told you cannot book aisle/window so there's an empty seat in between, but you can book pairs of aisle/middle or window/middle. On the 777, they let me get 2 of the 2-seat rows, no problem, but I did have to ask for it very emphatically. You should try again if you can stand it!
Old Jun 16, 07, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Plat
I'm not sure what the rules are but they seem to vary from CSR to CSR.

A better bet is to use the online seat (re)assignment feature in "my itineraries". It seems to allow you to select your seats anywhere that is open in E+.
Old Jun 16, 07, 9:45 am
zac

Next time put Mom/kid1 and one PNR and Dad/kid2 on another. It will be much easier to deal with when selecting E+ seats and you will be protected from the "sweeps" that can kick you all out of E+.

UAs systems seem to have issues with any passenger combinations more complicated than 1 elite/1GM and E+.
Old Jun 16, 07, 9:51 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by happycow View Post
... Every CSR I spoke with said it couldn't be done, even though the seating was wide open. The best they could offer was 4 adjacent seats in the 5-seat middle row...
Sounds like you were up against the "all on one PNR" glitch. I suspect that if you had booked your family on two seperate PNRs - one elite + one non-elite on each - everything would have worked out. You could book yourself and one adjacent seat for a child and your wife would book another seat with an adjacent seat for the other child. You just happen to place the two bookings next to one another and get what you want in the end.

It is idiotic that we have to play such games to get around the CSRs, but that is what FT is for - sharing ideas that work.
Old Jun 16, 07, 10:31 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Yes a 3p can bring a guest to E+

You cant ( even as a 1K) book window/aisle With a non status guest. When my husband and I ( both 1k's) travel on 1PNR I often have to have the CSR check out his status before they will let us book the window/ailse combo.

HTH

Jan
Old Jun 16, 07, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by abmj-jr View Post
Sounds like you were up against the "all on one PNR" glitch.
This is why they are having a problem with this. Technically, they should not have a problem with it.

For this reason, I never book a traveling companion that is elite status on the same PNR unless there is no one else traveling with us. Two elites + two non-elites should be booked as:

2 PNR, 2 perspns (elite + non-elite) on each
or
4 PNRs, 1 person on each
Old Jun 16, 07, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jan_az View Post
You cant ( even as a 1K) book window/aisle With a non status guest.
You can on a 777 (which is what the OP is flying).
Old Jun 16, 07, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Anyone able to help me understand what's up with the inflexibility? Was it because of the award ticket? Do they frown on 3Ps bringing guests? We're my expectations too high (e.g., window/aisle combo is a premium)? My biggest frustration with the CSRs was the lack of justification--they just said "no" without explantation.
With two elites and two kids you absolutely can get everyone into E+ and on a 777 you absolutely can get 2 sets of window/aisle combinations in tandem (such as 18AB and 19AB for example). I've done this many times with my GF and 2 kids. The issue is that all companions of elites in E+ must be in an adjacent seat. When you mentioned window and aisle combinations the CSRs may not have been thinking about the 2-5-2 configuration on the 777. They may have been thinking about a narrowbody 3-3 configuration where it is not possible to put a companion on the window with the elite on the aisle since the seats are not adjacent. Another factor is that every time I've gotten seat assignments for me, the GF and the 2 kids in E+ the CSR has had to put me on hold and contact a supervisor in order to get the seating cleared. It may be that your CSRs weren't aware of this step or they may have simply been lazy. I'm not certain how the split PNR issue plays into this, but as always, just hang up and try again.
Old Jun 16, 07, 10:48 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Just flew SFO-FRA with my family on an award ticket. To ensure E+ seating for the 4 of us, I nominated my wife for 3P status.
How long ago did you nominate her for 3P? Is it possible that her status wasn't showing yet and thats why you were having issues with this?

Craig
Old Jun 16, 07, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Have you tried to do online seat selection?
Old Jun 16, 07, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k View Post
Have you tried to do online seat selection?
I did try online and the seating chart made it look as though E+ was entirely full (a smattering of seats in E- showed as available). I assumed the flight was full until I accessed the seating chart as though I was buying a ticket (as opposed to via "my itineraries"). That's when I saw E+ was wide open and tried to make the change through the CSRs. I suppose that should have been my clue that something wasn't right with the PNR.

I get anxious about calling the CSRs too many times 'cause I think they'll flag my reservation with some note about my being a pain-in-the-.... Sounds like I just need to be persistent (but not rude, of course) or go with the two PNR trick.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old Jun 16, 07, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Sounds like I just need to be persistent (but not rude, of course) or go with the two PNR trick.
Calling to split the PNR is quick and should solve all your problems.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: