Question on buying two seats for 1

Old Jun 13, 2007, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*
Question on buying two seats for 1

I think I've seen this discussed before, but I couldn't find it in a search.

Suppose I buy two seats, let's say on Ted in the exit row. Do I get the mileage for both seats? Could I purchase the second seat for my wife, use mr. chicken, and run both boarding passes through the reader, will she get the miles?

I had a guy sit on the aisle of a recent Ted flight who bought the middle seat also, when boarding, he showed the FA both stubs so she wouldn't assume that seat was open for stand by psgrs.

Has anyone done this? Curious how UA MP handles this for mileage, could this help not only with having an empty exit next to you, but also with the triple miles in July 07 I'll get from last years threshold bonus?

Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2007, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's an excellent post on the issue.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JLaw725
Do I get the mileage for both seats?
I believe you get RDM for both, but not EQM.

Originally Posted by JLaw725
Could I purchase the second seat for my wife, use mr. chicken, and run both boarding passes through the reader, will she get the miles?
This would be fraudulent for the airline and illegal as far as the TSA is concerned. You could get in serious trouble - DHS has no sense of humor.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*
Thanks, I'll give it a try, and use my own name
The only problem I could see, is if the aircraft is switched out, or
cancelled and you're re-booked on another flight and your seats are split up.
I can see yelling two rows up, hey...that's my seat also...I may use it later.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Please, no sense of humor? The TSA is *PROOF* that DHS has a sense of humor? After all, the only possible explantion for the liquids ban is to see how much unsubstantiated crap Americans are willing to put up with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.