Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cut-off and Lectured on UA940 (Semi-Long)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Back to General scuMember
Cut-off and Lectured on UA940 (Semi-Long)

Flights:
SAT - ORD - FRA - BAH
Upgraded to NC from SAT to FRA.

The Story:
After a 2 hour delay in SAT we arrived in time to make a 300 yard sprint to gate C16. Upon reaching the desk I was handed my BP for 25A ^ (I was on the waitlist). Due to some other PAX being delayed as well, we waited an hour for them to arrive. I sat patiently still reeling from my unnecessary mad dash. I was not greeted nor offered any beverage until the normal beverage service began.

Mr. FA, an older gentleman probably in his 60s, seemed more grumpy than the FAs I typically encounter on international flights especially after I requested water along with my Heineken. My seat mate, we will call him John, had one half of a glass of white wine. Dinner was served where I requested another beer with my meal and my seat mate requested a red wine. Mr. FA told us he would give us the drinks but after this one we would be cut-off. John and I looked at each other in shock but came to the conclusion he was joking with us. Apparently I was taking to long to finish my meal which only seemed to aggravate Mr. FA more. After dinner I usually forgo the ice cream or fruit and have an after dinner beer. I was offered dessert where I kindly declined and requested a beer where I was greeted with a rude "How many have you had tonight?". Again John and I were shocked but dismissed this as an attempt at humor. So being the comedian I am I responded with "Counting the last one 46." Mr. FA did not find this to be funny but did bring me a Miller Lite and told me they were out of Heineken, I declined and requested something full flavor. John requested another glass of wine and was told that he has had enough for tonight. John had consumed 1.5 glasses of wine and the port with his dessert and by no means intoxicated. The plates were collected and John and I continued our conversation. Another FA came by and asked if she could get us anything else and I requested a gin and tonic. Mr. FA stormed to our row and began to nearly shout at me. He was telling John and me that he was in charge of the alcohol consumption and it was his choice who or who not to serve. After that he told me that I drink to much and he would give me the gin and tonic but I had better not ask for anything else from anyone on the plane. In shock and disbelief I thanked Mr. FA as he was storming away which I believe he heard as on obscenity due to the fashion he turned around and exclaimed "WHAT!?!?!" from 3 rows up. He then brought me a gin and tonic with a slice of lime sans gin...

While I drank my tonic water and discussed the situation with John, another PAX from across the isle asked what the commotion was about. After telling him Mr. FA cut us off he seemed as shocked as we were and assured us that we were not causing a disturbance and certainly did not seem intoxicated.

Yes, I did have a few beers while waiting in SAT and another one while en route to ORD but I was far from being drunk. Many would probably consider me to be a heavy drinker and might not agree with my habits but frankly I don't feel it is anyone else's business as long as I do not disturb them. I do look young which may have contributed to the situation. Nevertheless, my drinking habits are none of Mr. FAs concern and he should have been more professional if he felt I should not consume any more alcohol or to be even more extreme he could have been friendly.

Near the end of the flight I used the lavatory where I overheard another PAX talking with Mr. FA about a similar situation. Seems our incident was not an isolated case, he had cut off others on the flight as well.

This marks the first time I have been denied alcohol service due to being "intoxicated" but I suppose there is a first time for everything. I am not upset with Mr. FA as this was his decision to make but I feel he could of handled it differently.

Has anyone else encountered a situation like this and how would you have handled it?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
I would have been livid. As a last resort, I would have waited until the disfunctional fool went into hiding for an extended break and asked one of the other FA's for a nice stash of liquor.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
My SO in F once was cut off after his second scotch, being told "Jesus would not approve!"

After filing his complaint, he got a call from some high-up muckity-muck who apologized and indicated that the F/A's personal religious beliefs had become an issue when serving passengers on previous flights.

The United rep offered a very decent mileage-based compensation and SO thought her apologies were sincere. He also had the feeling F/A would not be a F/A for much longer!
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Hooo boy!

Originally Posted by kd5zex
Has anyone else encountered a situation like this and how would you have handled it?
1. Get FA's name.
2. Ask seatmate if it's ok to use his/her name in a letter to UA.
3. Find purser and speak to same about the FA.
4. Inform purser that you will be writing to UA WHQ about the FA, and you will be using specifics, including date, flight #, FA's name, etc. Include the fact that the same FA was rude to your seatmate as well. Encourage seatmate to write as well.
5. Follow through on it. Poke around here on FT for the e-mail address of Pam Coslet (or did she move to another job?) and other UA customer service people. But send the e-mails and letters. They work.

Sorry to hear of such a lousy flight. We need to get rid of these grouchy FA's. I know that no one wants another Gerald Finneran incident, but - really. Asking for three beers on ORD-FRA is hardly overdoing it. to this FA.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I probably would have gotten up and knocked the old man out of his misery. (Okay, not really...)

Assuming you recount of the story is entirely accurate and you displayed no indications of inebriation, that is absolute horse-doodoo.

I really hope you have his full name and employee ID number, and that you write UA and call CR.

What really makes me mad is "John" had 1.5 UA glasses of wine (that probably equals 1/2 of a real wine glass) and he have him a hard time.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyinryan
4. Inform purser that you will be writing to UA WHQ about the FA, and you will be using specifics, including date, flight #, FA's name, etc. Include the fact that the same FA was rude to your seatmate as well. Encourage seatmate to write as well.
This is a very good move. I'll keep this in mind if it ever happens to me.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Write to UA and report the FA. He was out of line, period.

...and if I ever see you drinking around on flights... the first 5 Heinekens are on me!
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cl.lurker
...and if I ever see you drinking around on flights... the first 5 Heinekens are on me!
Offer only stands if you're flying in C or F, right?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Offer only stands if you're flying in C or F, right?
Nope... I still have the 10 drink coupons I got with the 1K pack...5 for the OP, 5 for moi, worst-case scenario
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Awful to read accounts like this - sorry you had such a miserable time (it wasn't even hard liquor).

These stories are beginning to worry me...
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:39 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by sandiegofun
I would have been livid. As a last resort, I would have waited until the disfunctional fool went into hiding for an extended break and asked one of the other FA's for a nice stash of liquor.

This would be ineffective because FAs are instructed to inform their flying partners who has been cut off, especially when going on break.

It is not an easy judgement call to make when to cut off a pax - particularly in premium cabins on saleable markets when these customers are looking forward to free booze. The guideline isn't for the FA to determine if the pax are drunk. It is more about whether the pax "appears to be intoxicated." That being said, I'm wondering what happened here that caused the FA to cut off the op. If the op's previous beers were still on his breath and perspiration this might have been why.

However, if the FA thought the op appeared intoxicated, the FA should have cut him off then and there - not 2 drinks later.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:41 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Have had the opposite happen, I was on a BOS to IAD flight and the FA got me 3 mixed drinks so I gave them a GTEM cert . I would not be happy had this been me. I don't think you got the full benefit of the upgrade.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by John26
This would be ineffective because FAs are instructed to inform their flying partners who has been cut off, especially when going on break.

It is not an easy judgement call to make when to cut off a pax - particularly in premium cabins on saleable markets when these customers are looking forward to free booze. The guideline isn't for the FA to determine if the pax are drunk. It is more about whether the pax "appears to be intoxicated." That being said, I'm wondering what happened here that caused the FA to cut off the op. If the op's previous beers were still on his breath and perspiration this might have been why.

However, if the FA thought the op appeared intoxicated, the FA should have cut him off then and there - not 2 drinks later.
That is correct. But how would you justify the FA cutting off the Seatmate (John), as well as the other incident that the OP overheard?

It seems more like a power trip to me.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetsetter
Have had the opposite happen, I was on a BOS to IAD flight and the FA got me 3 mixed drinks so I gave them a GTEM cert . I would not be happy had this been me. I don't think you got the full benefit of the upgrade.
This is usually my experience, too. In general, good FAs always seem to be very generous with the booze (it's one of the few amenities left in F and C) rather than hoard it.

Many of my SFO-LAX/SNA trips have included several beverages, even plastic cups for me to have while landing. ^
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Wirelessly posted (Palm680/RC1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D053; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

What a punk... what kind of personal gratification does this guy get?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.