Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Have to say I love the new Red Carpet Boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have to say I love the new Red Carpet Boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2007, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Thumbs up Have to say I love the new Red Carpet Boarding

A service enhancement that actually works!

This is a great idea that was explained well, rolled out quickly and seems to be implemented consistently (imagine that!) from airport to airport. As many FTers bemoan the dilution of status many have experienced, it's a nice touch that helps differentiate the special quality of 1K, GS and First/Business.

As a 1K, it's been so nice walking up to the gate area after boarding has begun and zipping right to the front. So far the gate agents have been responsive and get me right into the queue.

On a recent LAX-SJC flight (granted, it was a CRJ), the boarding announcement went like this: "Before we start our general boarding, we'd like to welcome 1K Passenger Xevious to the Red Carpet for priority boarding." Obviously I was the only 1K on the list, and it was a nice touch and recognition of loyalty to UA.

Your experiences with Red Carpet boarding?
Old May 30, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
My experiences are quite the contrary.

First off, they don't have the red carpets in PIT yet.

Secondly, in the F wing at ORD, they have them but since their inception I've seen the carpets used once, and have heard GAs griping about how they're 'useless' and a 'stupid idea'.

Finally, last Friday I had to hustle from F wing to the C wing to catch ORD-PIT and I walked up with Seating 4 and tried to go to the red carpet which was roped off. I joked with the GA and she said she closes the lane after Seating 1 is on board.

I'm sure performance is better in other instances, but from what I've experienced the carpets are pretty useless since they're not being used as designed.
Old May 30, 2007, 1:43 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, MR/RC Plat, KLM Plat, AS MVPG75K, UA Gold
Thumbs down

My experience is the same as timezone_trooper in ORD. Was boarding my TED flight to PBI (100% full flight)! The agent failed to make use of or even mention the "Red carpet" boarding. While he was taking my ticket I said something like " wow, nice to see how well the red carpet boarding works" to which his reply was "we only have three 1K's on this flight so there's no point". I dont get it, how difficult is it to actually use them. The one flight I have been on that it was actually utilized was the 777 from IAD-LAX ( but with that many first/business/1k/GS passenegers it doesnt even really SEEM to make a difference, although I'm sure it does.
Old May 30, 2007, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
Finally, last Friday I had to hustle from F wing to the C wing to catch ORD-PIT and I walked up with Seating 4 and tried to go to the red carpet which was roped off. I joked with the GA and she said she closes the lane after Seating 1 is on board.
Isn't this the way it works? They call GS/1K/F and give them the red carpet treatment. Then they close the lane and board seating 1, then 1+2, then 1+2+3, then 1-4. If a 1K/GS/F pax shows up in the middle of boarding I don't think they get to bypass the line, do they?
Old May 30, 2007, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by milepig
Isn't this the way it works? They call GS/1K/F and give them the red carpet treatment. Then they close the lane and board seating 1, then 1+2, then 1+2+3, then 1-4. If a 1K/GS/F pax shows up in the middle of boarding I don't think they get to bypass the line, do they?
Yes, that is the way it is supposed to work. I walk right up to the red carpet and stand there until the agent opens the rope to let me through. In fact, I prefer this benefit more than the pre-boarding (since I'm often in the RCC or rushing to grab some food between connecting flights).

It doesn't always work this way. Recently in IAD I stood there while the whole plane got on and the agent ignored me (and the two others behind me).

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Thats how several stations are running it... but officially it is: "enjoy a distinct boarding lane offering front of the line access and ANYTIME boarding for United F, United C, UGS, (Sic) and 1K members."
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They absolutely should be alloewd to bypass the line. To me, that is the whole point of Red Carpet Boarding.

I believe the GAs like to close the ropes to prevent non-eligible customers from trying to use that as an open lane. I think eligible customers are welcome to board via the red carpet at any time, and the GA should open it up for them as they approach and show their boarding pass.
Old May 30, 2007, 1:50 pm

If a 1K/GS/F pax shows up in the middle of boarding I don't think they get to bypass the line, do they?
That's the whole point ... boarding at one's leisure.
Old May 30, 2007, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
I think eligible customers are welcome to board via the red carpet at any time, and the GA should open it up for them as they approach and show their boarding pass.
Right ... clearly, that is the policy. The problem is that many GAs simply ignore the policy.
Old May 30, 2007, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I assumed it was normal to still use the new lane
to immediately board even if seating 1 was finished.

At least that is how it worked for me
2 weeks ago in SFO and DEN.

A nice feature IMO.
Old May 30, 2007, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
They absolutely should be alloewd to bypass the line. To me, that is the whole point of Red Carpet Boarding.
This has been my understanding as well. I know experience is subjective, but so far I have been able to board via the Red Carpet well after Seating 1 has announced. This has worked consistently with me for UA domestic, UA intl and United Express.

Just recently while flying international from SFO, HKG and NRT, each boarding area was well marked and Red Carpet boarding was consistent.

Sounds like the idea is a great one but more gate agents need training.
Old May 30, 2007, 1:56 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
I like them.. a lot. They make life a lot easier for 1K's in LAX for sure.
Old May 30, 2007, 1:57 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
I assumed it was normal to still use the new lane
to immediately board even if seating 1 was finished.
If it wasn't normal there would be no need for the Red Carpet Boarding.
Old May 30, 2007, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
I love the new red carpet boarding lanes! When they're used effectively (which has actually been pretty common in my experience), I am able to cut through all that nasty gate lice. Instead of standing there wondering if all those people crowding around the door are also Zone 1, I just walk past everyone to the red carpet and queue there. Even if I get to the gate late and the red carpet is roped off, I still go up there and the GA usually stops regular boarding so I can jump in line. ^ ^

1Konsultant
Old May 30, 2007, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
For me, it's worked fine in DEN. I sometimes make a tight connection there - arriving at my connecting gate after boarding is underway. I usually try to upgrade that segment - the carpet is one added incentive to do so for us non-1K's...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.