Which RCC is the best in ORD?

Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Hello and good day everyone on the United Airline Forum and Happy Holidays as well!

Well I am going to layout my life story and let me know what and where should I go.

My wife and I will be flying from Lexington, KY (LEX) to ORD on United Flight # 6864 to catch another flight on Aer Lingus to Dublin. We know United has a baggage agreement with Aer Lingus so the Luggage is set (I hope because the flight gets in at 11:30am and my flight on Aer Lingus does not leave until 6pm and the only Aer Lingus flight that arrives that day gets in at 3:50pm so over 4 hours on the tarmac waiting to be taken is scary to me! ) so after arriving into Terminal 2 Concourse F Gate F1 what RCC should we put our feet up and have access to a good or decent meal at ORD until about 2:30pm or 3:00pm when we need to report to Aer Lingus? Also if it matters we are traveling on December 15, 2006 (Friday)

Thank you,

Paul
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:44 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, Hilton Honors, ICH
Which lounge? Delta's Crown or American's Admirals Club. Sorry to say, but RCC is not much better than sitting out by the gate. I like the RCC at IAD, but the ORD RCCs are often crowded and filled with people yelling into their cellphones.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:48 am
Original Poster

This is what I hear allot of the times Burrito Man but I have no ther choice because in my profession I do not fly much so I am not a member of any airline lunges or club rooms. I am only flying Aer Lingus and United this date so my choices are limited and Aer Lingus Club Room will not be open at 11:30am.

Why is your screen name the flying burrito brothers?

Paul
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
If your AerLingus flight doesn't leave until 6PM, why don't you consider "out of airport" options, since 4-5 hours should offer you plenty of time to have a nice lunch at nearby places (via taxi), get back in plenty of time for your flight, and be fine.
Note that you will NOT have access to a lounge in T5 (which is where your AerLingus flight departs) unless you have status on them. There is NO RCC in T5.

If you want to stay in airport, however, I've always found the C RCC the best as it has a "quiet" room, and very nice views of the ramp. It is also much more "open" feeling than the ones in B, and certainly more so than F.

In airport dining ought to be easy to do from there.
Best, Dave
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by patval
I have no other choice because in my profession I do not fly much so I am not a member of any airline lunges or club rooms.
If you are not a member of any airline lounge, on what basis do you intend to access the RCC? If you are thinking of doing a "daypass" you are clearly thinking upside down, and would be much better off going out of airport for a nice lunch with the wife.

Best, Dave
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:57 am
Original Poster

I just bought on E-Bay two passes for 30.00 instead of 100.00 so that is my access pass to the RCC. This trip is going to our delayed honeymoon how we go married on October but could not go on Honeymoon because I was finishing my PHd so I am a little nervous leaving the ORD compound other then the Hilton that is on property because on this day in December there might be snow or ice causing delays so I do not want to add variables to the mix. My wife loves to read books and I enjoy reading newspapers and magazines and surfing the internet we can keep busy with that. I think with food I hear there is a Wolfgang Express in ORD is that correct and good?

Thank you,

Paul
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just bought on E-Bay two passes for 30.00 instead of 100.00 so that is my access pass to the RCC.
Fair enough. At least you didn't waste $100!!
I am a little nervous leaving the ORD compound other then the Hilton that is on property because on this day in December there might be snow or ice causing delays so I do not want to add variables to the mix.
I can appreciate your concern, but would still encourage you to take a look through the "Chicago" forum here on FT looking for close in restaurants near ORD. Believe me, you could have a great lunch, and still be back in time for your flight - No Matter What.
OTOH: Make sure that you stay airside if you intend to spend the 6 hours in the terminal, as your ticket on Aer Lingus will NOT allow you re-access to ORD T1, and thus NO access to any RCC.

Best, Dave
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:54 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Congratulations on both your new happy Marriage and your PHD. You'll both have a great time in the RCC. Don't, however, expect any eatables in the lounge. It's still a nice place to hang out in. Remember that with your lounge passes that you cannot exit/re-enter the lounge. For this "short" layover, I'd *not* leave the airport (sorry bseller)...

If you PM me your address, I can mail you some free RCC drink chits to you and your wife for the happy occasion!
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:06 am

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
My feeling is thay the C RCC is more open and usually less crowded than B. Also, as others have mentioned, I like the quiet room in the back of the C RCC. I've never seen it even a third full.

Don't expect any good food, though (and you cannot bring food in from the outside).
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone thank you for the great help in this inquire!

Also Heffa I have PM you and again thank you for the kind and generous gesture my wife and I appreciate it!

So the consensus is to go to Concourse "C" after getting a bite to eat but hey I might be able to sweet talk the Gate Agent in at LEX and get access to the First Class Lounge at ORD! LOL!

Paul
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
The First Class lounge is even nicer and actual has little bits of food.

You'll not get in though. Sorry.

Go out to eat (Morton's or something)...else eat at the airport and then head into the RCC...avoid the B RCC at all costs
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chichow
avoid the B RCC at all costs
If you're coming in to Terminal 2 (E/F) then there's a bus direct to the C concourse. Else I would skip C for B just because of the distance. Walking from E/F and/or B to C takes awhile. B RCC is mostly crowded, but at the time you're arriving it will not be overcrowded. C RCC is less crowded and has a nice view, which B RCC doesn't have.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:05 pm

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
There are 4 RCCs at ORD. Concourse B has one near Security that is nice, although no outside views and it can be busy in the morning since all the Business One flights are usually around there. The other B RCC is up in Ted-land (the high number B gates). Small, and no restrooms. The C concourse RCC is very large and has the "quiet room". I've never found it overwhelmingly busy and generally can find a window seat to watch the planes. T2 (UX-land) has a very small RCC. That one tends to be packed, but if the choice is sitting in the RCC or playing gate change bingo, I vote for the RCC.

As others note, the RCCs are best when things go south at ORD (which is a lot). I find them quiet and I can relax in a halfway decent seat for a while before my flight.

I wish the food were better and they had free wi-fi, but the company pays 2/3 of the cost (taking taxes into account), so I'm not complaining.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 24, 2007 at 2:47 pm Reason: coped from another thread; removed off-topic portions
Old May 22, 2007, 5:02 am

Programs: UA Premier Executive

I have a 3 hour layover enroute to Munich in Chicago on Saturday. What RCC is the best to use? May I assume the LH flight leaves from the UA terminal?
Old May 22, 2007, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by valleyankee
I have a 3 hour layover enroute to Munich in Chicago on Saturday. What RCC is the best to use? May I assume the LH flight leaves from the UA terminal?
In answer to your second question: YES.
The answer to your first is most likely to be the large RCC near B7, since the one closer to where the LH flights leave from is really used more for UX flights and is very small, not so nice.

B7 is relatively large with a decent bar. Food will be typical RCC fare, but unless you want the convenience of a quiet room, there's really no reason to treck over to RCC-C unless you want to experience the underground light show.

RCC-F is of no practical use to you, and not as good as B7 in any event. Have a great flight.

Best, Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.