UA and TAM to Partner!

Old May 22, 2007, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
although I hope that award redemptions on TAM will not be as expensive as on TACA (virtually useless).
Indeed. TACA wants 45,000 for N. America to C. America while UA only wants 35,000 for "Y". TACA won't even offer "C" class. Virtually useless is right as TACA seems so getto. Flew them twice to Managua and still haven't recieved my miles. Switched everthing to DL.

TAM will be a very welcome spot in a large hole for*A.
Old May 22, 2007, 1:48 pm

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Originally Posted by hardiwv
LH President for Alliances made a formal invitation for TAM to join *A. I am sure for LH and UA it is of strategic interest to have TAM inside *A - considerin the Brazilian market.
Source? Even if an invitation was made, TAM executives have said as recently as today that they're not seeking any alliance memberships (see post #60). Of course UA and LH want TAM in *A, but it takes two to tango (or to samba in this case ).

Nope. TAM association with *A is crystal clear, and it became evident yesterday during the press conference. TAM will fully integrate its Fidelidade FF program with UA Mileage Plus and LH Miles&More. For example, it never did the same with its previous cooperation with AA and AF.
Rgs,
What do you mean by "fully integrate"? Earning EQMs? As far as I can see, you can earn AA miles (redeemable) on TAM, and redeem AA miles for TAM flights, even combined with other partners.

Again, I hope to be proved wrong but to me it's far from clear at this point that TAM will seek *A membership.
Old May 22, 2007, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
Source? Even if an invitation was made, TAM executives have said as recently as today that they're not seeking any alliance memberships (see post #60). Of course UA and LH want TAM in *A, but it takes two to tango (or to samba in this case ).
It is my understanding as well that TAM wants to be in bed with as many carriers as possible. At the end of the day there aren't that many REAL options in South America besides LAN and TAM.
Old May 22, 2007, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by zoegksf
Indeed. TACA wants 45,000 for N. America to C. America while UA only wants 35,000 for "Y". TACA won't even offer "C" class. Virtually useless is right as TACA seems so getto. Flew them twice to Managua and still haven't recieved my miles. Switched everthing to DL.

TAM will be a very welcome spot in a large hole for*A.
I think that I can say Bye Bye for those 10K intra Brazil one way TAM awards using AA miles. It was also very convenient to get them ticketed (TAM requires paper tix) because one of AA's CTO's in Sao Paulo is at the same hotel (Renaissaince) that I stay most of the time when visiting the city.
Old May 22, 2007, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
I think that I can say Bye Bye for those 10K intra Brazil one way TAM awards using AA miles. It was also very convenient to get them ticketed (TAM requires paper tix) because ...
When do they require paper tickets and how recent was that? Do you mean intra-Brazil only? I have a JJ GIG-EZE on my AA e-ticket.
Old May 23, 2007, 6:20 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Source?

http://www.panrotas.com.br/canais/re...416&pesquisa=1

The verbal invitation was extended by LH Vice-President during the launching of LH-TAM partnership.

Media in Brazil take it for granted that TAM will join *A. It is a matter of time.

It is my understanding as well that TAM wants to be in bed with as many carriers as possible

When TAM decides to drop AA for UA and at the same time AF/KL for LH, you can clearly see the airline is moving to one direction: *A.

As I mentioned, LAN-TAM partnership is very limited and only on a regional basis.

What do you mean by "fully integrate"? Earning EQMs? As far as I can see, you can earn AA miles (redeemable) on TAM, and redeem AA miles for TAM flights, even combined with other partners.

I mean: 1. full miles on all flights and integrated mileage programme (something TAM does not have with AA neither AF); 2) full codeshare on all flights US-Brazil (something TAM does not have with AA neither AF)

There is no doubt that TAM's agreement with UA and LH is far more comprehensive than the ones it has with AA and AF, and it represents a first step for TAM to join *A.

Rgs,
Old Jun 19, 2007, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
-bump-

Any updates?
Old Jun 19, 2007, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P
just saw this because of the "bump" - this is great news. i've been meaning to get to brazil...
Old Jun 19, 2007, 9:31 pm

The only update I've seen is in the AA version of this thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=694785

AA.com announced that after 11/14/07 you can't book TAM awards or earn miles on TAM. Awards must be used by 11/13/08.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:23 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Ilook forward to TAM joining Star Allience.
What routes does tam now fly ex US ?
What type of aircraft ex US ?
Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Ilook forward to TAM joining Star Allience.
What routes does tam now fly ex US ?
What type of aircraft ex US ?
JFK-GRU
MIA-GRU
A330
http://www.tam.com.br
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:04 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Thanks so much rrgg.I wonder if the LAX_GRU ns route goes through if that will be on a 330 also?
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:36 am

For your reference, they also use A330 for LHR and CDG. I think MXP is a new destination, but it's an MD11.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 4:05 pm

Conflicting Info

Source?

http://www.panrotas.com.br/canais/re...416&pesquisa=1

The verbal invitation was extended by LH Vice-President during the launching of LH-TAM partnership.

Media in Brazil take it for granted that TAM will join *A. It is a matter of time.

It is my understanding as well that TAM wants to be in bed with as many carriers as possible

When TAM decides to drop AA for UA and at the same time AF/KL for LH, you can clearly see the airline is moving to one direction: *A.

As I mentioned, LAN-TAM partnership is very limited and only on a regional basis.

I mean: 1. full miles on all flights and integrated mileage programme (something TAM does not have with AA neither AF); 2) full codeshare on all flights US-Brazil (something TAM does not have with AA neither AF)

There is no doubt that TAM's agreement with UA and LH is far more comprehensive than the ones it has with AA and AF, and it represents a first step for TAM to join *A.

Rgs,
I understood that you could book award travel with TAM but was informed this afternoon by an agent that "only United and Taca can be booked to South America". I was also told that they had no information about TAM in the reservation system for the entire bookable period which I understand is 330 days.
Rather strange as I was planning to use my AA miles next February and was told that they will no longer book award travel on TAM starting this November. Anyone have any different insights?
Old Jun 29, 2007, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Interesting...I have not been able to find any more information than what has been posted here.

I would like to book some SA flights after the 1st of the year and am hoping that an announcement of some sort is made before I book.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.