FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   spilled juice: compensation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/690866-spilled-juice-compensation.html)

euslaner May 8, 07 3:20 am

spilled juice: compensation

Was on UA 932 IAD-FRA in C Saturday night (and in response to another post, yes my upgrade did clear at the gate--even though the flight had been overbooked because of a missed connection of another flight). Shortly before take-off my seatmate tipped over his champagne and it spilled over my seat. No big problem there, he didn't do it on purpose. But the crew seemed stumped and only retrieved a blanket to cover the soaking seat cushion when I asked for it. Rest of the flight was good (though it might have been nice if our water glasses were refilled) until breakfast. A FA gave my seatmate his OJ but put it between the tray and the arm rest, where it promptly spilled over my running pants (which I wear on flights for comfort). The FA took away some wet newspapers and put a few paper towels on the ground. She didn't notice that my pants were wet. I told her so and asked for another blanket and she originally said that the full flight didn't have any (but ultimately found one when I insisted) and then told me that my pants would dry eventually (I had another flight in several hours to Helsinki). I told her that I would need to have my pants cleaned and that I was rather uncomfortable with wet pants and she offered me a $25 UA certificate. I spoke with a more sympathetic purser, who admitted that this was not handled well (I was basically told to get over it) but said that she could not do anything more. I could write to CS, she said, which I intend to do. What compensation might I expect?

ual744777sta May 8, 07 4:37 am

As UA only provided the liquids and did not spill it on you (your seatmate did, not the FA nor the purser nor the pilot or anyone in UA uniform), I don't think you deserve any.

But who knows, you might get lucky.

LHR Tim May 8, 07 4:44 am

I could see if it was a suit, but you said yourself:

where it promptly spilled over my running pants
The first FA was very kind offering you a $25 cert. The secon FA who said:

get over it
was spot on.

Wash your pants and move on.

SFO_Runner May 8, 07 4:48 am

In the spirt of this thread, what's the compensation for spilled milk?

And 1!

Q Shoe Guy May 8, 07 4:50 am

Oh, at least a 1000 USD or 50000 miles!;)

ivoryboi May 8, 07 5:16 am

And we wonder why some FA's have bad attitudes towards customers.....

Let's please use some reason, and differentiate between genuine service deficiencies and obvious accidents.

somuchtosee May 8, 07 5:26 am

got three words for ya

Only in U.S.

UNITED959 May 8, 07 5:58 am

The other day when I was at my Mom's house for dinner, she poured me a glass of red wine and while taking the bottle away, a few drops landed on my shirt. We put a paper towel on it with some water, and the wine came out only leaving a little wet spot on the sleeve. I demanded that she buy me a new shirt, but she said "no," so I've retained an attorney for the matter... :D

EWANMEBABE May 8, 07 5:59 am

I agree - they will be suing for breathing other peoples bad breath next

UNITED959 May 8, 07 6:26 am

Originally Posted by DreamlinerI (Post 7705552)
I bet you guys would not be singing the same tune if some cluts sitting next to you on an international long-haul spills alcohol or other liquids on your seat or you. I think that sometimes the FA's postion drinks and cans so that they are more likely to spill.....:cool:

Right...but I'd be mad at the clutz, not UA & the FAs... ;)

And as for placement of drinks, it's not like the seat offers several locations for beverage storage...there's a reason the drink tray is called a drink tray and coincidentally that's where 100% of FAs put drinks. :)

euslaner May 8, 07 7:04 am

Sorry if I offended anyone, but the OJ spilling was the fault of the FA. The other passenger didn't even have a chance to touch the OJ before it tipped over and spilled over me (it was placed on the crack between the arm rest and the tray).

And before you get all over me: (1) for several hours my pants remained wet and I was rather uncomfortable; (2) many of you folks have gone ballistic if your reading light goes out and heaven forbid if your TV monitor has failed (this has happened to me more than once and I never asked for anything);and (3) many of the posters on this forum go ballistic if their nuts are not heated to their liking (which strikes me as childish at best).

So cold nuts and a broken reading light are more troublesome than sitting around FRA airport with wet pants?

transpac-canuck May 8, 07 7:10 am

WWSQD? (What Would SQ Do?)

Answer: Apologize profusely, and then ask you to take your seat and buckle your seatbelt in preparation for a landing that's still 60 minutes away. (With a smile, of course.)

EsquireFlyer May 8, 07 7:30 am

Originally Posted by euslaner (Post 7705667)
Sorry if I offended anyone, but the OJ spilling was the fault of the FA. The other passenger didn't even have a chance to touch the OJ before it tipped over and spilled over me (it was placed on the crack between the arm rest and the tray).

And before you get all over me: (1) for several hours my pants remained wet and I was rather uncomfortable; (2) many of you folks have gone ballistic if your reading light goes out and heaven forbid if your TV monitor has failed (this has happened to me more than once and I never asked for anything);and (3) many of the posters on this forum go ballistic if their nuts are not heated to their liking (which strikes me as childish at best).

So cold nuts and a broken reading light are more troublesome than sitting around FRA airport with wet pants?

Okay, if the FA spilled the juice then it is UA's fault rather than the other pax's.

But (1) your own description of "rather uncomfortable" doesn't sound that serious. Perhaps serious enough to write to UA though. (2) FTers don't generally go "ballistic" when the reading light on monitor breaks, though they do get annoyed and might write for compensation. (3) I have NEVER seen any FTer go ballistic over nut temperature or heard of ANYONE writing to UA to ask for compensation. FTers simply mention it in passing. I think you are confusing jokes with actual gripes. (4) attacking other FTers as "childish" is not going to get you much sympathy.

dcmike May 8, 07 7:52 am

What would you consider fair? The $25 obviously is not enough in your opinion, so what do you think you should receive?