spilled juice: compensation

Old May 9, 07, 1:02 pm

Programs: 1.3mm
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer View Post
Oh, come on, don't play dumb. There was no other reason to mention Portland at all except that the OP is from there.

That said, I do think that most posters properly and honestly responded to the OP's question of what compensation to expect when they said "none."

I don't understand what the OP hopes to achieve by initially criticizing other FTers for allegedly going "ballistic" over nut temperature, and then being offended when people tell him/her that no further compensation is due, when he/she had specifically asked for that advice, and then accusing everyone of gang-banging him/her because too many people replied to this thread agreeing with the same sentiments.

If "too many" people agree, maybe they are on to something. Which is not to say that it's right to be rude or obnoxious. But that most people do think that no compensation is due here, and repeatedly asking isn't going to change their minds or get them to apologize.

I didn't mention Portland... I mentioned Potomac MD
Old May 9, 07, 1:03 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by euslaner View Post
Well maybe you ought to read the by now many posts defending me. And yes you're right, no one here is going to apologize because those who are attacking me are enjoying themselves too much. This is more like OMNI and the thread should be shut down.

There are all sorts of characters here such as United777Heavy who posts the median house price in my neighborhood as "as I just thought it was a interesting real estate fact. Please tell me where it is directed at you, as never did I mention you." If you believe that, you also believe that the moon is made of green cheese.

I have never attacked anyone on this forum, even those who cry when they don't get their warm nuts or their coats hung up.
1. I read all the posts, so I don't know why you're telling me to go and read them. Yes, some people have posted in support of your expectation for compensation. But more people have posted their opinion that no compensation is due, and/or that they are surprised that you would ask.

2. Obviously I didn't believe United777Heavy's claim that the Potomac reference was just coincidental. My post (to which you replied) you would clearly indicates that I didn't believe it.

3. Yes, it's great that you haven't made personal attacks on individual FTers, but you have ridiculed groups of FTers for going "ballistic" over coat hanging and being "childish" about nut temperature. So what if you didn't name names? Technically, United777Heavy didn't name any names either, and that doesn't make his post any less of an attack.

4. You posted asking what people's opinions on your compensation expectation are, and you got them. If that made you upset, then what is it that you wanted to hear? And why should people have to say what you want to hear? I find it quite odd that you are saying that your own thread ought to be shut down.

Last edited by EsquireFlyer; May 9, 07 at 1:18 pm
Old May 9, 07, 1:08 pm

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by karenkay View Post
i have a hunch this thread will be locked by the time i get back from lunch.
Are you back from lunch?
Old May 9, 07, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I find it quite odd that you are saying that your own thread ought to be shut down.
It is? It's obvious OP didn't get the satisfaction they wanted, so it's better to plug up their ears and go "la la la la la..."

I agree though, the fixation on nuts is fascinating and a bit hypocritical.
Old May 9, 07, 1:16 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by United777Heavy View Post
I didn't mention Portland... I mentioned Potomac MD
Okay, right, Potomac. The OP's home city. You know what I meant, and you're still playing dumb.
Old May 9, 07, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Despite all the bickering, nobody here has addressed how exactly, (1) OJ would be able to afford a C class TRANSATL ticket after being subject to his wrongful death judgement in order to be able to spill himself on the OP or (2) if there is anyone out there that would enjoy having OJ spill himself on you.
Old May 9, 07, 1:29 pm

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DillMan View Post
Despite all the bickering, nobody here has addressed how exactly, (1) OJ would be able to afford a C class TRANSATL ticket after being subject to his wrongful death judgement in order to be able to spill himself on the OP or (2) if there is anyone out there that would enjoy having OJ spill himself on you.
hmm OMNI material?
Old May 9, 07, 1:32 pm

Programs: 1.3mm
Okay, right, Potomac. The OP's home city. You know what I meant, and you're still playing dumb.
I used to live in DC, I know Potomac area fairly well. It's a nice area, over-priced, but still a nice place.

I was being sarcastic.
Old May 9, 07, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
while wanderingi nto OMNI territory..

so far what i mostly see as a problem is posters calling each other out.

so - please don't make your remarks personal to any FT'er or group of FT'ers -

thanks
squeakr
MOD UAL
Old May 9, 07, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat,HH Diamond,Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold (Thanks UA!)
Just imagine a thread without so much attitude:

OP: I was flying in C and the FA spilled OJ on my pants. While she didn’t exactly help very much, she did give me a $25 voucher. I was rather uncomfortable sitting there in wet pants. Is it worth my while to complain to UA?

Reply1: Sorry to hear about your luck, sitting in wet pants is not fun. At least they gave you a voucher.

Reply2: You should demand a full refund of your ticket!

Reply3: They gave you a voucher, accidents happen.

Reply4: Complaining may net you some extra miles or an additional voucher in addition to making you feel better.

Reply5: Blame the TSA - Kip loves OJ.

……..

Mine would be the 3rd reply.
Old Apr 8, 10, 11:07 pm

$200 E-Cert for getting soaked with 2 glasses of wine during LAX-NRT flight?

During my flight from LAX to NRT last year, a stewardess dropped 2 glasses of red wine on me while trying to serve a passenger in the aisle seat behind me. As you can imagine, my clothes was soaked as was the seat. To make things worse, I am a non-drinker and the smell of alcohol makes me nauseous and I am sensitive to temperature changes (dampness causes me gastric distress) and I had to sit on a cold, wet seat for more than 6 miserable hours.

The flight staff brought me napkins to wipe up and gave me paper instructions on how to register my problem on-line but did not change my seat since economy was full. However, business class clearly had empty seats but they did not offer me to move there. I guess the crew made a judgment call that leaving me to sit on a wet seat was the best option to keep me comfortable.

After I arrived in Tokyo, I reported the incident on-line on the UA website with a detailed description of my ordeal and found that the compensation offered was for a paltry $200 E-Certificate for domestic travel (useless as I only fly internationally with UA). There was no reply to the detailed report I filed and it seemed like the UA system just set the compensation without any consideration of my specific circumstances. I felt this was completely unsatisfactory and wrote United about the matter but did not received a reply. I let the matter drop since I was extremely busy with work but I finally found time last week to write another message to them (through the PEVoice E-Mail address) expressing my dissatisfaction with the $200 E- Cert compensation. It didn't even cover the cleaning costs for my clothes much less the misery of flying across the Pacific sitting on a damp seat while wearing wet clothes .

Before I continue, I want to point out that I am currently a Premier Executive and have either been a 1K or a Premier Ex. for the last 10 to 15 years with over 880,000 actual miles flown on UA over that time.

A few days after I wrote the e-mail to UA, I received a message from them expressing regret for my experience but refusing to budge on the compensation amount. The customer care agent wrote -

"We have reexamined your request to offer you more, however with all things considered; we do support our earlier decision. The $200.00 E-travel certificate was not intended as compensation to replace your inconvenience and aggravation due to the wine spillage. It was offered strictly as a goodwill gesture. While I understand you do not feel it is meaningful given your circumstances, I hope you will accept it in the spirit in which we have intended."

From what I have read and heard about, it seems that a $200 E-Cert would be the default amount doled out to a passenger flying internationally who experiences a problem like a broken light/entertainment system or a missing special order meal. However, getting two glasses of wine dumped on you halfway during a 12 hour Trans-Pacific flight is on a completely different level of discomfort and inconvenience.

I am pretty unhappy at this point and would like to solicit your opinion and advice as seasoned travelers on UA. Was I being unreasonable in trying to ask for a better rate of compensation or did I do the right thing in complaining? The Customer Care agent did offer to pay for my cleaning bill but I doubt I can find the Japanese cleaning reciept from over eight months ago. Needless to say, this experience has soured me on UA despite my continued loyalty to them over the last two decades. Your advice and comments are welcome.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 2, 10 at 6:40 pm Reason: merged with related thread
Old Apr 8, 10, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I'll bite. What do you want?
Old Apr 8, 10, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Welcome to FT!

I feel for you... I was in business class on NRT-LAX and the poor FA had splashed a bottle on me. Fortunately it wasn't the whole bottle. Needless to say, my white dress shirt was permanently stained. She was truly apologetic about it.

I got $200 and I think that's pretty standard. Considering you were in economy, I think you're getting a fair shake along with everyone else. In fact, here's the post I made about it almost 4 years ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tl-flight.html

IMHO, there probably isn't much more you should be getting. A $200 voucher is enough for a cheap transcon...
Old Apr 8, 10, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Welcome to FT MP777.
Yes, I agree that a $200 ecert is skimpy considering the circumstances, particularly an ecert restricted to domestic tickets.
I think you were fully justified in registering your complaint and then questioning the offer. Unsure where you can go from here.
$200+ to clean a single set of clothes $200. YIKES!
Yup, hotels are pricey, but jimminy.
MY guess is that you will continue to fly UA as you are pretty close to 1M and you have experienced that this treatment is not always the case, but the pain remains....
Old Apr 8, 10, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
To me, seems like it was a genuine accident and a $200 e-cert is acceptable.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: